1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Assurance of Salvation

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by George Antonios, Apr 25, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    MB, we all trust in Christ as He has graciously saved us by His choice, not by our works.
    Lordship Salvation has nothing to do with works to keep salvation. It is ironic, however, that you would bring this up since the Roman Catholic Church clearly teaches salvation and maintaining salvation by works.

Salvation is not free. Jesus died to secure the redemption of his elect. By Jesus gracious choice, we are redeemed. Our entire life is held in the palm of Christ Jesus our Lord.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes dead to the Law, that is, not being under it. Nevertheless sin is still defind by the Law, 1 John 3:4. So John argues, ". . . If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. . . . If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. . . ." -- 1 John 1:8-10. The lost will be condemned under it, Romans 3:19.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning

This thread will close no sooner than 10 PM tonight EDT / 7 PM PST

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope that your church will bring discipline when needed to leaders in the church!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he rails against you and me for not agreeing with the heresy of the wof health and wealth crowd, and then tries to state that we do not see it the right way due to a "lack of faith"

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While those such as Dr MacArthur seem to be saying it too strongly from my perspective, do see the thrust of the NT to be that Jesus when he saves you is your Lord at that point, and does want you to agree and submit your will to His in all areas of your life!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The local church must exercise discipline in its ranks, especially for those in spiritual authority, as the criteria is are they sinning and refusing to repent of that, not are we in a state in sinless perfection in order to judge!

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry to come in on this a bit late, but your understanding is incorrect.
    The sinner's warrant of salvation is not based on his belief that he is one of the elect, but upon the promises of God; specifically that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. I am a sinner; I therefore qualify for salvation through faith. :)

But that faith, saving faith, is not an intellectual persuasion that there was someone called Jesus of Nazareth who lived a long time ago and did a lot of good stuff. It is an understanding that I am a sinner justly under the wrath of a holy God, a turning away from sin, and a casting of myself upon the Lord Jesus Christ as a drowning man might cast himself upon a life-belt.

Such a one is justified, declared righteous, by God on the basis of the merits and atoning blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, and is therefore no longer under condemnation. But God does not stop there; He puts His laws in the minds of His people and writes them on their hearts (Hebrews 8:10). So if someone despises God's righteous laws and commandments, why would he suppose that he was justified? This is what it means to examine oneself (2 Corinthians 13:5); has the Holy Spirit written God's moral law on your heart? Does it upset you when you fail to keep it as you should? Can you say with the Psalmist, "I delight to do Your will, O my God; and Your law is within my heart"? If so, you may be absolutely assured that God has saved you and that you are one of His elect, chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, Steve.

But I think that many who are familiar with the phrase, "Lordship Salvation" are referring to the prominent teaching by some that, in order to become saved, one must first make Christ "the Lord of your life".
    Salvation does not work that way, and the Gospel should never be preached with this in it.

Teaching that a person must "make" Christ Lord and Saviour before God will save them, is "front-loading" the Gospel, IMO.
    Paul never did this, Peter never did this, and Jesus Himself made this telling statement:

" Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for [so] I am." ( John 13:13 ).

#169 Dave G, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.