1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been several threads on various aspects of the atonement (mostly on the Penal Substitution Theory). Throughout I've been challenged on my position - which is a good thing - but no one has really asked me what I believe - which is perhaps not so much a good thing. Since we can't prove a negative, I thought I would also provide what I believe to be true in terms of the Cross.

I believe that while we were enemies of God we were reconciled to Him through Christ’s death and having been reconciled we are saved by His life. Christ died for all so that all men might no longer live for themselves but for Him, who died and rose again on our behalf. It was God’s predetermined plan that Christ suffer and die at the hands of godless men. But God raised Him up on the third day, gaining us victory over sin and death.

Jesus is the "Lamb of God" who takes away the sins of the world, dying once for all when He offered up Himself. Jesus gave Himself for our sins so He might rescue us from this present evil age. And having become a curse for us He redeemed us from the curse of the Law. Jesus Himself is the propitiation for the sins of the whole world.

He was pierced for our sins, crushed for our iniquities. Men esteemed Him as stricken and afflicted by God, but the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him and by His stripes we are healed. For Christ bore our sins in His body on the cross so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

He had to be made like us in all things. So He came in the likeness of sinful flesh and condemned sin in the flesh. And being found in the likeness of men Jesus humbled Himself by becoming obedient even to death. This is why God exalted Him and gave Him a nave above all others – that at His name all will bow and confess that Christ is Lord to the glory of the Father.

It is for this reason that the Father loves the Son – because he lay down his life to take it up again.

The Father loved the world by giving His only Son. On the cross God was, in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself. He caused the iniquity of us all to fall on His Son, displaying Him publically as a propitiation in His blood through faith. God loved us and sent Christ to be the propitiation for our sins. He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf. He sent His own Son, His Beloved, in the likeness of corruptible flesh.

And as through Adam’s transgression mankind was condemned, so also through Christ’s one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed Jon,

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Sin - singular and in my view it is the "sin" of Romans 5:12

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

All are invited to participate in this good news of Christ's redemption.

Acts 17:30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent.

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come.
    And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is still the wrath of God that must come against sinners, for Him to be Holy, correct?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe what I posted.

Insofar as God needing something for Him to be holy, I disagree. God is holy. Period.

You asked what I believe and I told you. Interact with this, not what I have not stated.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not see God requiring for Jesus to receive His due wrath towards sins, correct?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just told you what I believe.

I believe it was God's predetermined plan Christ suffer and die at the hands of godless men.

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe Adam was created for the very purpose of the means of the death for Christ.

The death, followed by life from the death, would be the very means of destroying the one who had the power of the death, that is the devil, thus destroying the works of the devil.

Through the devil's deception of the woman, through whom the Christ would come, who had been taken from the man and the sin of the man bringing death to all men, thus all have sinned and subjected to the death. To destroy the works of the devil also requires the atonement for sin that brought death.

To me, redemption from the death is the means of the destruction of the works of the devil.

It appears to me that for God to destroy the works of the devil through redemption man, the first man, had to sin and bring the death to all men.

From the woman taken from the man the Son of God would be manifested.

Heb 2:14, 1 John 3:8 Gal 4:4,5

Before the foundation of the world: God had a plan.....Acts 15:18

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I believe, the battle, even with God, has never been against flesh and blood. I believe it would be through flesh and blood, something corruptible and subject to mortality God would do battle against spiritual wickedness.

Thus the creation and thus Romans 8:20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope;

In reality all of chapter 8

I might even ask, is the sin of the world, the sin of Adam or the sin of the devil the sinner from the beginning?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The father Himself caused and determined that to happen, correct?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was God's predetermined plan that Christ suffer and die at the hands of godless men.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know the answer to many of the questions that arise when considering this topic, but I do believe that it was through Adam that sin entered the world.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He determined that to happen, correct?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. This is what I take "predetermined" to mean. God determined beforehand that Christ would suffer and die at the hands of ungodly men.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 1:21

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save

his people
    from their sins.

Everyone else dies in theirs. John 8:21

#14 Aaron, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true, and applicable to the doctrine. There is purpose to the Cross.

God sent His Son that all who believe would have eternal life. Those who do not believe have been judged already, because they do note believe in the Son. The judgment is that the Light has come into the world and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, because their deeds were evil.

Those you speak of (in John 8) would fall into the category of those who reject the Light. They do not know Christ, for if they did know Him then they would also know His Father. They will seek Him, but they will die in their sins unless they believe that He is the Messiah.

Very Christ-centered teachings.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Christ is the means of salvation for the whole world, everyone transferred into Christ has their individual sins removed by the circumcision of Christ. But those individuals were not reconciled when Christ died as our substitutionary sacrifice, but instead where reconciled (made at one with God) when they were transferred into Christ.

Any thread that does not say what Christ accomplished on the cross, and what God accomplishes when He transfers a person into Christ only adds confusion rather than clarity.

Only those transferred into Christ have been reconciled, that is why we have the ministry of reconciliation.

#16 Van, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree completely with this statement.

On the Cross God was reconciling the world to Himself, not counting men’s trespasses against them. Christ died for all so that tall men might no longer live for themselves but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.

When we are “placed in Christ” we are made to die to the Law through the body of Christ so that we may be joined to Him (you could use marriage as an illustration). In other words, we are released from the law and freed from the bondage of sin and death. Our minds now serve the law of God while our flesh struggles with the law of sin. But there is no condemnation for those in Christ because the Spirit of life has set us free form this law of sin and death and we are joint heirs with Christ – clothed with His righteousness.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The will die in their sins of idolatry, murder, adultery, theft etc. Their sins will not be taken away, as you are erroneously asserting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide the statement that you are addressing (provide the quote) so that I can address your misunderstanding. While I understand what you are saying, I do not know how you wring it out of my stated belief.

Thanks.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God determined/caused Jesus to die in the place of us, correct?
    The Father used sinners to accomplish that, but He ordained it to occur before that, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.