1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to doctrine (any doctrine) where you begin determines where you end. If you begin with God’s wrath then you end up with wrath being satisfied. If you begin with death then you end up with death being overcome. If you begin with social injustice you will end with a just reign. If you begin with covenant community you will end with the Kingdom of God. This is the point I’ve been focusing on recently. Where you begin in your doctrine – what you presuppose – determines where you end in your doctrine.

In his book, Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis speaks of the theories of Atonement and notes that the theories themselves are not the thing we are asked (by God) to accept. “Many of you no doubt have read Jeans or Eddington. What they do when they want to explain the atom, or something of that sort, is to give you a description out of which you can make a mental picture. But then they warn you that this picture is not what the scientists actually believe. What the scientists believe is a mathematical formula. The pictures are there only to help you to understand the formula.” In this way, theories of Atonement are like a metaphor.

Take Penal Substitution Theory, for example. It is based on biblical penal substitution which addresses the moral implications of sin. While most occasions Scripture approaches the atonement from a different angle, it is fairly clear that in Romans Paul addresses penal aspects of sin. Biblical penal substitution presents Christ experiencing the wages of sin and sharing in our “infirmities”. The Penal Substitution Theory contextualizes the Atonement within a worldly judicial framework where sin becomes a “debt” to be reconciled through punishment. The problem, of course, is that God does not punish sin because sin cannot be punished. You can punish a disobedient child, but you can not actually punish the disobedience. If you could, nothing would be remedied. And even sin could be punished, the moral aspect of sin is only one part of the larger definition. But this does not mean the Theory itself is valueless as it communicates, through a mental picture, one aspect of the atoning work of Christ.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This takes us to the problem of the Atonement, which is sin. Sin entered the world and through sin death spread to all because all have sinned. We fall short of the glory of God.

But what is sin?

Grudem defines sin as “any failure to conform to the moral law of God in act, attitude, or nature” (Systematic Theology). While immorality is a sin, Scripture speaks of sin as something larger than a moral issue (Both Jesus and Paul, for example, speaks of sin as a principle and a power).

Billy Graham defined sin as any action that falls short of God’s will (Stories). Standish offers the “high view of sin” which suggests that “any weakness, limitation, or inadequacy is sin” which is supported by Romans 3 (Perfection). Pannenberg describes sin as “the universal failure to achieve our human destiny” (Systematic Theology).

Panneberg is closer to a biblical view of sin. It is more than moral transgression of God’s law (although this is part of it). It is more than an action that falls short of God’s glory or principles of social injustice (although, again, this is part of it).

Man was made for a purpose. When God created man He gave Adam the command to care for Creation. He gave man a help mate. Man was made to be in a relationship with mankind and with God. Scot McKnight explores the Atonement wonderfully in A Community Called Atonement. Here he makes the observation that when “sin is defined in such a way that it involves it involves systemic corruption, then atonement is released to become the restoration of the Eikon in all directions, a restoration that includes the undoing of systemic corruption. Atonement, then, becomes the act of God to create a kingdom people.”

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penal Substitution is rooted in the character of God as He revealed Himself to Moses in Exodus 34:6-7. “The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding with goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty.” Immediately the question arises, how can God be merciful and gracious, how can He forgive iniquity, transgression and sin without clearing the guilty? How can He clear the guilty if He abounds with truth—if He is a ‘just Judge’ (Psalm 7:11)? How can it be said that, ‘Mercy and truth have met together; righteousness and peace have kissed’ unless God can simultaneously punish sin and forgive sinners? The answer is that ‘God……devises means, so that His banished ones are not expelled from Him’ (2 Samuel 14:14). Those means are Penal Substitution. “Learn ye, my friends, to look upon God as being as severe in His justice as if He were not loving, and yet as loving as if He were not severe. His love does not diminish His justice nor does His justice, in the least degree, make warfare upon His love. The two are sweetly linked together in the atonement of Christ” (C.H. Spurgeon).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I should have said this at the start: I've not legitimately engaged my view here for a reason. But a conversation with @Reformed changed my mind.

That said, I am going to delete off-topic comments or insults (I normally do not in threads in which I'm active). So please feel free to disagree with me, on the topic. If you can't then please refrain from posting on this thread, but feel free to start another.

Thanks.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC , in your first two posts in this thread you have not put forth your atonement view, just your view of sin. Should we expect another post(s) where you state your view?

Also, can you explain what you believe Penal Substitution Theory is and how it differs from Penal Substitution? If a person does a simple Google search on the former they may come up empty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know. First I think that I need to explain my view. I've put forward my view in the past and without context it was denounced too much Scripture not enough explanation. I'm doing it backwards this time.

In summary my view is that the Atonement is God's act of reconciliation from the Incarnation through the Resurrection. As a reconciliation it deals with systemic nature of sin, which goes beyond sin as moral transgression or sin as a power or principle. It includes these, but cannot be reduced to one.

My view is that through the Cross God was reconciling the world to Himself, and that now this ministry of reconciliation is given to us as we urge men to be reconciled to God. It addresses penal substitution in that Christ bore our sins and shared in our infirmity (Christ experienced the "wages of sin"). It addresses ransom because it also focuses not on human sin but on the Purchaser.

Another aspect is that of the covenant community. The atonement was God's act of building His Kingdom. It is the transformation, or re-creation, of men. And these recreated men are built into the Body of Christ, which lives in community (or should) with one another being Christ to a world that is lost. In this aspect, Christ is the "Firstborn" of many brethern.

So I believe that there are many ways of looking at the atonement. But each are metaphoric in a way as the whole cannot be contained in any one view.

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. You call your view Penal Substitution Theory, distinct from Penal Substitution. Who are the main proponents of your view? Do they actually use the term Penal Substitution Theory and separate it from Penal Substitution? What is the genesis of this theory? Who did it start with and how did they craft their argument? These are important questions because the Atonement shapes our view of the Gospel. We cannot afford to get either wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I owe you an apology – I must have misspoke. When I speak of the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement I am pointing to the theory that is built on (perhaps to explain) penal substitution aspects found in the Bible. By theory I mean contextualizing what is found in Scripture into something else.

Ransom is found in the Bible. The theory that God paid a ransom to Satan is not. Christ as an example is found in the Bible. The Moral Influence Theory is not. Both penal and substitutionary aspects are found in the Bible. The theory that on the Cross God was punishing Christ instead of punishing us is not.

You are absolutely right that we cannot afford to get it wrong. It would be better to simply preach the actual gospel (Christ crucified) without explanation than to offer the wrong explanation. That said, have you ever wondered how Christianity made it for so long without a well articulated view of the atonement?

In terms of Penal Substitution Theory advocates, I would look to John Piper and Tim Keller. I also like Wesley. In terms of Substitution I appreciate Luther. I consider many Anabaptists have to say, but unfortunately (like many Penal Substitution Theory advocates) they typically elevate their theory at the expense of other biblical views (especially those like Weaver). I like Wright on Christus Victor and Penal Substitution (his view of Penal Substitution is probably the closest to mine). I think that C.S. Lewis has good insight on some aspects as well (although he is not a theologian). And T.F. Torrance. I've always liked Karl Barth's Christ-centered approach to the Atonement as well. And David Wells (another favorite).

If I had to pick a contemporary author with whom I agree on this topic, it would be Scot McKnight.

But I believe that we need to allow Scripture to dictate how we interact with Scripture, so I don't think that we need to fall into one camp or another. These theories are like (to borrow from McKnight) golf clubs. If you have one, you may make it through the game but it'll be ugly. The atonement far exceeds the theories of it.

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not say that I wondered but I came to understand the reason for the lack of articulation on the Atonement as I studied church history. My area of study is the Patristic Age. I have said before that the Patristic Age, specifically the time period from the passing of the Apostles to the end of the ecumenical councils, is a period of mixture and error. After that, the Roman Catholic Chruch began its dominance and suppressed the truth for a millennia. The Patristic age got some things right. It fought back serious heresies like Arianism. But it also dug a myriad of theological potholes. The period is valuable from a historical perspective but one needs to be careful when gleaning from its theology. So, when the Reformation began in earnest, it is not surprising that important theological topics like the Atonement were studied and debated. I am also on record as saying that more serious theology was done in the first 50 years following Luther's 95 theses than in all the time back to the passing of the Apostles. I stand by the assertion.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly. It seems that your view is not really a specific view. What I mean by that is that your view does not have a name. You list those authors and theologians that you like on the topic but you do not cite a specific view that has a well-researched body of work. This is not meant as a criticism. However, it does make your view seem like it is a compilation; a hybrid of all the best parts of those things you believe.

I agree that we need to allow Scripture to dictate how we interact with Scripture. That said, how is it that we understand what scripture is saying? In the other thread, you were accusing our friend @Martin Marprelate of appealing to human reason in the defense of his atonement view. If reason leads to rationalism, then yes, we have a problem. However, human reason is not the enemy of doing good theology. Human beings are finite creatures and lack perfect knowledge when it comes to understanding God. This includes understanding His word. For this reason, theologians constructed biblical models to help explain mysteries that we only know in part. To the degree that these models are biblical, they are useful. When models become an authority to themselves (rationalism), they have failed and must be discarded. I am pointing this out because most of the great doctrines of the faith are constructs (models) used to describe mysteries. Consider the Trinity. In the previous thread, you made the point that the Trinity is clearly revealed in scripture. I said that the Trinity is clearly revealed but only because of the totality of the biblical evidence. We both see the Trinity revealed, we just disagree on how it is revealed. It was the same way during the Arian controversy. Today we see the debate between homooousios (same substance) and homoiousous (similar substance) as settled. It was not the way during the early Patristic Age. Perhaps it was just you and @Martin Marprelate talking past each other or perhaps it was a clash of personalities? Maybe it was a bit of both? What it does reveal is that we may be looking at scripture through a different lens. I think we can determine that as we discuss the Atonement.

As far as needing to all into a specific camp, that depends on what we conclude from our study. Is a person either a Monergist or a Synergist? Is there a third or fourth option? Does someone need to be in one of these camps? Well, they may not feel a need to, but they most certainly are in one or the other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve always enjoyed Christian history. I am not sure it is fair to say that theology increased during the Reformation (or shortly afterwards) as much as it shifted form. I agree that academic dedication and studies began in earnest, but I am not certain that we are the better for it.

As you probably know, the “gospel presentation” has changed as well. It went from a presentation of the gospel proper (the Incarnation, death, and resurrection of the Messiah) to a presentation of the explanation of the gospel. With the former, it was a gospel experienced (most often, through an encounter with Christians and their testimony). From the Reformation until the mid 20th century the gospel (in Protestant churches) focused on becoming a part of the community and then evidences of faith within the Church. And from the mid-1900’s forward it has focused on generating a belief or decision.

Sometimes I think it is because the original gospel presentation depended on a gospel that “had feet”. But that’s just my opinion. I see the Reformation as making great strides in scholarship. But I also sense a bit of danger in the type of scholarship that came out of the movement.
    In a way. I think that there is a danger to following one view. Much has come, as you noted, out of the Reformation. But what if they were wrong. One of my favorite authors is John Piper. Yet he even questioned Wright’s NPP because it challenged a four century view (a view that came from the Reformation). When we look at teachers we pick what teachings we believe are biblical and discard the rest. Many Baptists like Sproul. He was not a Baptist, so they “spit out” the parts they reject.

It is not that I hold a hybrid view, or a compilation. That is why I started by speaking of sin. The atonement solves the sin “problem”. Sin is more than a moral issue, so the atonement is more than the Penal Substitution Theory. It is more than Christ as an example, etc. I believe that when we choose a view and interpret Scripture from that lens we blind ourselves to the depth of Scripture. We also can come out with heretical ideas (like God separating from Christ for three hours on the Cross; or God paying Satan a ransom).

But on this topic there are several I do agree with. I would consider my view to be along the lines of C.S. Lewis, Scot McKnight, and perhaps to an extent N.T. Wright. Reading Scripture it seems that the most common theme is Christus Victor, and the most common focus is the Kingdom of God. If I were to describe my position, it would be the Ransom view (not Origen’s but the early church view of a Ransom paid to liberate us from the bondage of sin and death).
    As a graduate student I concentrated on systematic theology (it was a tough choice between that and Church History). Systematic theology by nature incorporates human reasoning. So I completely agree here. My only comment is that we need to acknowledge the finiteness of our reasoning and that it exists in our understanding. The larger issue comes in when we build on these models we know in part.

Here, if we are not careful, Yeats rings true - Turning and turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; things fall apart; the center cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world. We have to watch that we do not build theory upon theory as doctrine.
    I’m a compatibilist.

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC , I have more to say but I do not want this to be a two-person thread. I am going to step back and see if others weigh in. I will participate again later.

12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like you, I have never heard of 'Penal Substitution Theory' and I recognize no such beast.
    The gist of the question of Atonement (which is the title of the thread) is this: did Christ take upon Himself the death, punishment and curse due to me as the just punishment of God for my sins. If He did not, those things still remain charged to my account, and I shall have to suffer them myself.
    An quotation from John Piper may be in order:
    'When a person says that God's 'punishing His Son for an offense He has not even committed ' would be tantamount to child abuse, I am angered and grieved. For if God did not punish His Son in my place, I am not saved from my greatest peril, the wrath of God...........
    Paul puts is like this: we 'were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind' (Eph. 2:3). My very nature made me worthy of wrath. My destiny was to endure 'flaming fire' and 'vengeance on those......who do not obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus....[and who] suffer the punishment of eternal destruction' )2 Thes. 1:8-9). I was not a son of God; God was not my father. He was my judge and executioner. I was 'dead in .....trespasses and sins,' one of the 'sons of disobedience.' And the sentence of the judge was clear and terrifying: 'because of these things the wrath of God comes on the sons of disobedience (Eph. 5:6).
    There was only one hope for me -- that the infinite wisdom of God might make a way for the love of God to satisfy the wrath of God so that I might become a son of God.
    This is exactly what happened, and I will sing of it forever
    [So will I! M.M.]....... How did He do it?.........God's Son bore God's curse in my place (Gal. 3:13). If people in the 21st century find this greatest act of love 'morally dubious and a huge barrier to faith,' it was not different in Paul's day (1 Corinthians 1:23).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that is what @Reformed meant (I think he was asking the difference I was making between the Penal Substitution Theory and penal substitution in general).

If it helps, here are a few sources that you can learn about the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement –

Millard Erickson (Christian Theology) deals with Penal Substitution Theory on pages 833-839 in a subsection titled “Objections to the Penal-Substitution Theory”.

Norman Geisler (Systematic Theology vol. 1) deals with Penal Substitution Theory (he indicates it could also be called “Legal Substitution Theory”, although I’ve not seen it referred to in this way) on page 835.

Thomas Schreiner defends the Penal Substitution Theory in the book The Nature of the Atonement: Four Views (pg. 67).

J.I. Packer and Mark Dever deal with Penal Substitution Theory throughout the book In My Place Condemned He Stood noting “Theories in this set [that look to Christ as bearing a penalty we deserved] such as the satisfaction theory and the penal-substitution theory, emphasize how Christ represents us” (pg. 103)

I still have not unpacked my library (probably never will in full), so that's all I can check quickly.

Hope it helps.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well @Reformed will doubtless answer for himself.
    Well I am not entirely unread on this subject and I have never come across it. It is not mentioned in Pierced for our Transgressions which deals with a vast number of objections to P.S. Nor, unless I somehow missed it, is it in Michael Horton's Systematic The Christian Faith. Nor is it SFAIK in older books by folk like Hoekema, Smeaton, Berkhof, Pink.

I recognize a Doctrine of Penal Substitution which I have explained many times.

But I notice that you appreciate Scott McKnight, Do you agree with him that Mark 10:45 cannot refer to Penal Substitution because it speaks of 'ransom'?

#16 Martin Marprelate, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psst....

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you embrace Wright's view on justification especially his view of "without works"?

Truth may be complex but it can always be simply stated. When you read someone and what they claim to believe is so complicated you don't really know what they have said, or what they are trying to say it is usually because they don't know the truth and are confused themselves.

The mark of a good teacher is they can take a complex subject and present it in simplicity that even a child can understand it.

I have serious issues with anyone who wants to focus on what uninspired men say the Bible says, rather than dealing directly with the Bible itself. I am not saying you cannot learn from others, and I am not saying I don't read others as although my library is not as large as many on this forum but 3,000 volumes does indicate I read others. However, the goal is to deal more directly with the actual Biblical text rather than getting side tracked as the Pharisees did as you can see reading the Mishnah so that you are moved away from God's Word and lost in the sea of human opinions.

#18 The Biblicist, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Martin will speak for himself, but I believe he was using that phrase simply because Jon characterized his view as "theory" and thus was responding as charaterterzed rather than giving credence to something called a penal substititonary "theory."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

May I add one book to your list that I think might be more helpful than those you list? The Bible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.