1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Augustine

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not so organized . I have a lot of books , pamphlets and miscellaneous papers strewn around my apartment . I want to give credit where credit is due but I don't have the name of the author . The page I have a copy of (p.362 ) is entitled : Western Philosophical Thought . It's a pretty sure bet that a Roman Catholic wrote it . Anyway here is something interesting he wrote about Augustine .

[ Regarding the elect] They do not go to heaven because they are good ; we are all totally depraved , except in so far as God's grace , which is only bestowed on the elect , enables us to be otherwise . No reason can be given why some are saved and the rest damned ; this is due to God's unmotivated choice. Damnation proves God's justice ; salvation , His mercy . Both equally display His goodness .
    The arguments in favour [ he must be a Brit ] of this ferocious doctrine --which was revived by Calvin , and has since then not been held by the Catholic church -- are to be found in the writings of St Paul , particularly the Epistle to the Romans .

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've noticed that about Catholics. When talking to you, they usually take the Scriptures at face value, though their traditions make the Scriptures of none effect. He acknowledges that Paul was a Calvinist (or was Calvin a Paulist?), but he hates the doctrine.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

The Man who wrote is was Bertrand Russell and he was NOT a Catholic nor any type of supposed christian relgion. He was a philosopher, mathamatician, Humanist who had no god but science.

His book on "1945, A History of Western Philosophy and Its Connection with Political and Social Circumstances from the Earliest Times to the Present Day" is the actual title of the book you are referencing, Or the "History of Western Philosophy" as it was shortened to.

This book is Anti-Christian and uses Much of the Calvinistic Theology to try and prove the silliness that a God exists. But that it is not actually God that motivates Christians but fear of change and superstitions. He is used by many Anit-Christian groups that reference many of his works trying to disprove by showing Calvinistic Soveriegnty is the best argument against God. I may not be a Calvinist myself but even that state exceeds my imagination.

Here is a quote from him:

#3 Allan, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
  4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

And hence the reprobate joins hands with the arminian in their common hatred of a determinstic God.

Not meant to inflame - just the obvious conclusion.

And some light is shown on how we got to where we are today in Western Culture.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now how could that be inflammatory?

The question has been answered, so the thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.