1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism, David Pawson, Sacrament

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by phaipola, Dec 5, 2011.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you are saying.

Anyone who believes water trumps the blood of Christ has rejected the blood atonement.

HankD

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

just was saying that IF Water baptism was considered to have been essentially to one being saved, than why did neither Jesus/Paul include it as being part of it?

And do agree that IF you add ANYTHING to saved by faith and grace alone, that is adding to the Gospel, making it another gospel!

#22 JesusFan, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, OK I see.

HankD

4. phaipola

phaipola New Member

Born of water and born of spirit

What do you think of a person, who has received the Holy Spirit of God and has put his faith and trust in the Lord Jesus? (Acts, 10:43-48) Has he or she been born again from above by the spirit of God or not? (John, 3:3-8) Or has he or she not yet started a new life as a Christian, and will not start a new life before he or she will be immersed in the water? What does it mean, when the Lord said:

"...unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God..."
    "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit." (John 3:3, 5-8)

There have been six main theories of what Jesus meant by these words. The most promising of them are that [1] he spoke of two different births, one natural (of water/ of flesh) and one supernatural (of the Spirit) or [2] that he was referring to the spiritual birth by the Spirit with a parallel phrase "of water and of the spirit" (Isa, 44:3-5, Eze, 36:25-26).

One interpretation is that Jesus is referring to "the word of God" by "water", but I do not find this interpretation consistent enough.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

The Holy Spirit would have the "well of living water/endless supply" produced in the new believer, as God regenerates them into new creations by His divine Act...

We are commanded by the Bible to seek water baptism after that, it is to signify what has already happened, but does NOT cause it to happen!

6. phaipola

phaipola New Member

I agree. That is correct.