1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism? Public or Private?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lacy Evans, Jul 6, 2004.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that baptism is a command, but not necessary for salvation. We do it as a public confession of faith.

I suppose it could be done with a couple of people in the river. Would you then make a public confession of faith? Or would that surfice?

When we have individuals baptised at a night service, they make a statement of faith the following Sunday. I like that because it involves the church family, and allows us to rejoice along with the person being baptised.

2. MTA

MTA New Member

3. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Baptism is a picture of the gospel. 1 Cor. tells us that the Gospel is the death, burial, resurrection, and the appearances. If Baptism is to be a true picture, then it must be public.

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

This is the question I was really getting at. This is getting good. I tend to agree with Ben W. The priesthood of the believer is a related doctrine. I know Baptists who believe that your baptism is not valid unless a "baptist preacher" dunks you in "baptist water" in a "baptist church".

Lacy

5. MTA

MTA New Member

6. rufus

rufus New Member

[/QB][/Quote]The modern Church according to some has no Apostles, hence the right to Baptise would be with the laity. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Not if the ordiance was given by Jesus to the church. IMHO.

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hello Lacy, I think that we are on the same page on this one, the church leadership failed big time, get hold of a Halleys Bible Handbook (an older one) and have a read of the history of the Roman Catholic Church and what exactly went on over centuries, and is the main reason why Islam flourished.

I see it that through people like Calvin, God brought revival to the church. Yet the spiritual line of Apostolic succession had been broken, thus the responsability to Baptise would logically rest with the believers in Christ. Their commision being there response to the Great Commision.