1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ryarn, Mar 31, 2013.

1. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

John 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

John 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

John 1:34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

See it was a part of obiedience (+John 1:33), a sign too. And for us a profession of faith and a semblance of the death, burial, and resurrection, with Christ.
    :thumbs:

#21 ryarn, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we are water baptized doesn't it show we believe Christ died for us therefore our desire is to walk in newness of life because our death penalty has been paid and we have the hope of being resurrected from our coming death unto everlasting life just as Jesus was resurrected to die no more.

Our coming death and resurrection is our being baptized with the baptism he was baptized with, as in Matt. 20:23 Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with:

We still have a death and resurrection in front of us if the Lord tarries. Baptism?

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Obviously, you're researched this well. It seems to me that the Presbyterians, while retaining the term sacrament, changed the definition to make it differ from the RCC view.

We Baptists use the term ordinance for a couple of reasons, I think. One, to make a wider separation from the RCC definition of sacrament; and two, to reflect I Corinthians 11, which Paul urged the congregation to "guard the ordinances."

A Presbyterian may very well know exactly what is meant when he hears the word sacrament. When I hear it, I think of the RCC definition.

Our goal should always be clarity, and I think the use of the term ordinance instead of sacrament meets that goal.

4. Herald

Herald New Member

Tom,

The word ordinance in 1 Corinthians 11:2 only appears in the KJV version. The Greek word for ordinance in that passage is παραδόσις (paradosis). It means tradition. In the ESV, NKJV, and NASB it is translated traditions. That said, I prefer the use of ordinance because of the distance it provides from Roman Catholicism.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The thing that seems to get lost in the shuffle is that Jesus was just as much Christ pre-baptism as He was post-baptism. This was a sign to John that the Messiah prophesied for centuries was here to fulfill all things that were preordained for Him to do.

I am a BIG believer in baptism, don't get me wrong, but it seems like too much emphasis has been put on it by some....meaning, I know some baptists that believe if you die before you're baptized, then you weren't saved. They say the same God that saves, can make them get to the water before they die.....and that's pure baloney.....water never saved one soul, but Grace did, and does. So if it's a part of obedience, and one doesn't make it to the water, then how could they be saved?.....obedience is better than sacrifice, to hearken, better than the fat of rams......

6. Herald

Herald New Member

The Christian is to be obedient to the command to be baptized. Scripture is absolutely clear on that. However if the Christian is providentially hindered from being baptized it does not effect his salvation. But it is a different matter altogether if someone refuses to be baptized. It is not the refusal of being baptized that would be the problem per se, but the attitude of a disobedient heart. Willful disobedience to the Word of God is not the evidence of a changed life. To continue in disobedience, even after being confronted about it, is a sign of an recalcitrant attitude. This can lead to rebuke and a call to public repentance by the church, and as a worst case scenario ex-communication. It may seem like much is being made of a little, but that is really not the case. Disobedience to the Word is sin. Sin is never a trivial matter.

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

What about the Quakers, for instance, who believe the only necessary baptism is that of the Spirit into the body of Christ? The Salvation Army could also be included.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I should have made myself clearer on what I posted. The ones I referred to don't believe in a deathbed repentance, except they are water baptized.

9. Herald

Herald New Member

Well, those groups have some serious theological issues besides baptism. I would not consider Quakers orthodox. They deny central tenets of the Christian faith. The Quakers (to varying degrees) deny the necessity of believing the virgin birth. They also follow the practice of Montanism. The Salvation Army are self-admitted Anabaptists (a person can fall from grace). They are, strictly speaking, and organization, not a denomination.

10. Herald

Herald New Member

Let me add a P.S.

Even if a local church tolerates disobedience (sin), and fails to confront it, does not change the fact that the disobedience is sin. In fact the leadership of the church compounds the problem through their own sin by failing to properly discharge the duties of their office. Willful refusal to submit to baptism is sin. A church that tolerates that sin increases the scope of that sin. We see this attitude among churches all the time. Churches (really the pastors and elders of the church) that fail to discipline members, in love, over public sin issues are themselves sinning (c.f. Revelation 2:4-5, 14-16, 20; 3:2-3, 15-19).

11. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Kindly put, you know not of what you speak. What tenets of the Christian faith do Quakers deny? There are three main branches of Quakers; only one is liberal/modernist. The other two are moderate-evangelical, and conservative evangelical, these two being quite orthodox; they do not deny any of the central tenets of the Christian faith.

I've heard all kinds of false charges against the Quakers, but the Montanist one is a new one to me, and quite ridiculous.

The Salvation Army, strictly speaking, is a church (denomination) first and foremost and a Christian service organization second.

Seriously, you need to study this more. Everything you said is incorrect.

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Receiving of the Holy Spirit I have mentioned this before because it involves the laying on of hands in baptism. I've read in scripture where a disciple asked a person if they had received the Holy Spirit they said they hadn't even heard of the Holy Spirit and the disciple laid hands on him and he received the Spirit right then.

Many disagreed from both sides of the doctrines discussed here.

For my self my baptism and this receiving the Spirit I believe is true. Others argue that we receive Him at Salvation though I do not deny that some may. I do not believe we are saved in Baptism.
    MB

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thought wasn't so much with us but to the water baptism of Jesus being prophetic of: his obedience unto the death of the cross, Phil 2:7 The Father raising him from the dead Gal 1:1 Jesus receiving the Holy Spirit from the Father Acts 2:33 The Father declaring Jesus the Son of God on that day Acts 13:33 and this being the fulfilling of all righteousness.

Was not all of that shown in Matt. 3:15-17

Did not Jesus say, "Ye shall indeed drink of the cup and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with"?

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, Herald. I, too, have read in my NASB the word translated traditions.

The use of ordinances in KJV does raise a question in my mind. Why did the KJV translators use ordinance instead of sacrament? Just wondering.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So it follows, if one uses the word ordinance, then one is a KJVO person.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And if someone uses the NIV, ESV, NLT, ASV, and/or NASB, they use the word "pffffft"....

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The Disciples had the ability to do many things we can not. They could cast out demons, heal the sick, raise the dead, even give them the Holy Ghost, per Apostle Paul in Acts 19. No one can lay hands on anyone and give them the Holy Ghost.

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The reason Jesus was baptized by John was he was already functioning as our mediator.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

He was baptized in my place.

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been told that before the part about we don't have any powers. Yet if this is true how is it Christ said;

Joh_14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

I admit there are things none of us do nor attempt to do. To say we can't do them is defeating ones self with out trying. I've prayed for some people to be healed and they were. I've prayed for there finances and they received. I've prayed for the salvation of people and they were saved. Don't get me wrong I'm not taking credit for anything but if you believe there is no power in prayer you do not have any faith.
    MB