1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Confession of Faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gershom, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

There seems to be many. Which does your church look to or agree with?

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

3. BruceB

BruceB New Member

My church has the 1963 version included in our constitution. There has been no move to change to the 2000 version as yet. Bruce

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Our church, likewise, has the 1963 BF&M in our Constitution, as well. We updated our constitution in I believe, 2003 or 2004, one or the other. I don't remember that exact date, but I was the chairman, and voiced my opinion that I, personally, saw no reason to necessarily change, but was not opposed to the BF&M 2000, either, just to be clear, and could and did agree with either. The rest of the committe was of similar mind, as well. We likewise kept the 1963, probably as much for the reason of not having to do so much secretarial work, as any other. In retrospect, I would probably suggest updating to the 2000, simply to have the same confession as the state and national conventions, especially as the transfers of documents becomes ever easier, as computer technology advances.

As to the real differences, I suggest one look at this little humerous bit. It might place some of this in better perspective. At least, I thought it was humerous.

There are several confessions of faith, some dating back to three centuries. I have no great differences with most (although I definitely would with some), but I, personally, would word some things differently in each and every one, usually for greater clarity. But that's maybe just me, and my alter-ego, Language Cop.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=36725

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The BF & M 2000