1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Distinctives. How does your life reflect them?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Aug 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eight Baptist Distinctives

http://cornerstonebaptist-tyro.com/distinctives.aspx

It is very important to understand that not all Baptist folks worship in the same style, but all "True Baptists" believe in these eight Baptist Distinctives! It is what makes us Baptist. These teachings may be remembered by association them with the letters that form the word "Baptists."

Biblical Authority - The Bible is the final authority in all matters of belief and practice because the Bible is inspired by God and bears the absolute authority of God Himself.

Whatever the Bible affirms, Baptists accept as true. No human opinion or decree of any church group can override the Bible. Even creeds and confessions of faith which

attempt to articulate the theology of Scripture do not carry Scripture's inherent authority. 2 Timothy 3:15-17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:20, 21

Autonomy of the Local Church - The local church is an independent body accountable to the Lord Jesus Christ, the head of the church. All human authority for governing the local church resides within the local church itself. Thus the church is

autonomous, or self-governing. No religious hierarchy outside the local church may

dictate a church's beliefs or practices. Autonomy does not mean isolation. A Baptist church may fellowship with other churches around mutual interests and in an associational tie, but a Baptist church cannot be a "member" of any other body.

Colossians 1:18; 2 Corinthians 8:1-5, 19, 23

Priesthood of the Believer - "Priest" is defined as "one authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion, especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God." Every believer today is a priest of God and may enter into His presence in prayer directly through our Great High Priest, Jesus Christ. No other mediator is needed

between God and people. As priests, we can study God's Word, pray for others, and

offer spiritual worship to God. We all have equal access to God-whether we are a preacher or not. 1 Peter 2:5, 9; Revelation 5:9, 10

Two Ordinances - The local church should practice two ordinances: (1) baptism of believers by immersion in water, identifying the individual with Christ in His death, burial,

and resurrection, and (2) the Lord's Supper, or communion, commemorating His death for our sins. Matthew 28:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-32

Individual Soul Liberty - Every individual, whether a believer or an unbeliever, has the liberty to choose what he believes is right in the religious realm. No one should be

forced to assent to any belief against his will. Baptist have always opposed religious

persecution. However, this liberty does not exempt one from responsibility to the Word

of God or from accountability to God Himself. Romans 14:5, 12; 2 Corinthians 4:2; Titus 1:9

Saved, Baptized Church Membership -Local church membership is restricted to individuals who give a believable testimony of personal faith in Christ and have publicly identified themselves with Him in believer's baptism. When the members of a local

church are believers, a oneness in Christ exists, and the members can endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Acts 2:41-47; 1 Corinthians 12:12; 2 Corinthians 6:14; Ephesians 4:3.

Two Offices - The Bible mandates only two offices in the church-pastor and deacon.

The three terms - "pastor," "elder," and "bishop," or "overseer" - all refer to the same office. The two offices of pastor and deacon exist within the local church, not as a hierarchy outside or over the local church. I Timothy 3:1-13; Acts 20:17-38;

Philippians 1:1

Separation of Church and State - God established both the church and the civil government, and He gave each its own distinct sphere of operation. The government's purposes are outlined in Romans 13:1-7 and the church's purposes in Matthew 28:1920. Neither should control the other, nor should there be an alliance between the two.

Christians in a free society can properly influence government towards righteousness, which is not the same as a denomination or group of churches controlling the government. Matthew 22:15-22; Acts 15:17-29

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT BEING BAPTIST OR BEING SAVED?

3. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

This is as good a list as I have seen, outside of those who Taught me.

Thank you, for the list and the link. >>> do you have another one? this link is messed up.

Is this Tyro, Virginia? There is a 'Dave' that is Pastor, there. I see this on FB.

They affect me Positively as God Commanded all Saved to be Scripturally baptized and Worship Him.

Scripturally baptized is what it says and the same with 'How to Worship God'.

"Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:21.

I hope this makes sense to you, 1689Dave.

You have a SOLID BAPTIST Testimony, here.

Does it make sense to you that God Says, "Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:21.

That means, being baptized into a Biblically ORGANIZED ASSEMBLY that meets together, TO BRING GLORY to GOD, regularly. The Old Testament FAITHFUL GATHERED and Worshipped God, as GOD COMMANDED, and it is the same, today.

God DID NOT Found, Organize, and have Jesus Die FOR HIS CHURCH, to have anybody, anywhere think they are going to PLAY CHURCH that God Accepts.

God Says What HE ACCEPTS as Worship, in The Old Testament, just as in The New.

If God has Led you to assemble and Worship in this way, it is BIBLE, by BIBLE AUTHORITY, and this is What God Said to Do.

So, you are a 'Baptist'. Nice to met you. Will we not agree on all points.

I see the word church as meaning what God Expressed it for, as a 'called-out assembly'. And that includes all the Scriptures, above. "Unto God be Glory"...as any Saved child of God walking around, or in a roomful of errors social gathering of religious people, are both not Taught in the Book and ARE NOT THE COMMAND of GOD.

When I first came to a 'Baptist' forum, I thought the majority would be Saved and know all about 'The Lord's New Testament church'. Alas. A Missionfield, I find, instead.

Cool.

Thank you, God.

Negatively, these items listed have me not caring to go, do, be, and act in ways that The Lord would not be Pleased with, in daily life.

#3 Alan Gross, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Baptism and church topics are irrelevant to the unsaved.

God Commands lost souls to be Saved.

The second highest Privilege is to answer the COMMAND and Call to Worship and Serve The LORD, by surrendering and FOLLOWING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST by being baptized, by The Authority of God in a New Testament church, as described in this list above.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. History of the Baptist Distinctives

2) Actually, I have been questing "Two Offices"
    I do not consider the Deacons to be an officer.
    They are to help church members with secular assistance.
    The Deacons should not be "running the church"

Other than that - I totally agree with Dr. L. Duane Brown.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptist Distinctives as taught by the late Richard C. Weeks at Maranatha Baptist Bible College (now Maranatha Baptist University):
    Bible-only rule for Faith and Practice
    Regenerate Immersed Church membership
    Autonomy and independence of the local church
    Priesthood of the Believer
    Separation of Church and State
    Immersion of Believers and Commemoration of the Lord's Supper only two ordinances.
    2Seperation ethical and eccelsiastical

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good summary. I agree (with the acknowledgement that some baptists do not hold the position of deacon to be an office and some add footwashing as an ordinance).

We are Baptists, not communists, after all. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure?

I have been in churches were the deacon board was very communistic in its thinking. Members did everything to protect their own little bubble of power and authority over the masses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have as well. The issue (IMHO) with viewing deacons as holding an office is probably in how they are actually used. I've been in churches where the "office of deacon" was a term to describe "deacons" as presented in the Bible. But I've also been in churches where the "office of deacon" was a set of people who ran the church (the church was not really congregational).

This topic (deacons) have in my experience been the most differently applied issue within Baptist churches. I can't say for certain that one view is superior to another, although I do have my preferences and opinions.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally agree.

Another problem facing the modern churches who have tried to go with “elders” is that the “elders” were never to run the church either.

Scriptures state elders should be over the spiritual matters and deacons over the physical matters.

But people live power and authority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our baptist church, deacons are the ones who actually are into the bills getting paid, church maintenance, while the Elders are the ones who are into the "spiritual leadership/authority"

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am actually not sure about my church (I was not a member long before COVID and did not think to ask) .

Our last church had deacons that had been there for decades, but a very congregational rule. Prior to that I was at a church where deacons rotated off every 4 years.

When I was a Deacon our primary responsibility was taking care of widows and the homebound.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Elders are on a 3 year rotation, can be revoted back on board, but have to be at least one term in between!

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    all Elders?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No 2 at a time

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happens when you run out of old people? :D

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I mean is it just the Ruling Elders, or does the Teaching Elder have to step down every three years too?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The chief Elder is the senior pastor, so he has been there over 30 years as such!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We now have a nice blend of men in their 20's/30's as well as seniors!

• Like Like x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you guys active now (as a church....with the COVID issues)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.