1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist History and the Lack of Concern

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Bro. Williams, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I would also check on Amazon.com.

Tim Reynolds

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Any luck yet on the book(s)?

Which one were you looking for specifically?

If you will copy and paste the specific one afore mentioned, I would be glad to assist in helping you find one.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

One of the problems in studying Baptist history is that, until the 20th Century, Baptists kept notoriously bad records. So most of what we know about early Baptists comes not from us but from what others said about us.

4. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

It is hard to keep records when they are being destroyed by your enemies.

Furthermore, there are plenteous records concerning American Baptist history, dating back to the 1700's.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Thanks for the references to Patterson and McGoldrick, CA. I wonder if you wouldn't mind listing the authors full names and the book titles. I'd like to check them out. (I had trouble finding them on that website you mentioned). Thanks again.

Tom

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can use, for the two hundred years stretching from the late 1790s, Wayland's Notes on the Principles and Practices of Baptist Churches, Hiscox's New Directory of Baptist Churches, and David O. Beal's In Pursuit of Purity. Mind you, I writting from a Northern Baptist perspective. Christian's and Armitage's second volumes give a good overview of the late 17th century through the mid-19th. Let's face it, pre-17th Anglo-American Baptist history takes on the aura of learning about American history from the Great Soviet Encyclopedia.

7. AJ_DXB

AJ_DXB New Member

Any thoughts on Welsh Baptist

Guys,

I strongly believe that the true church of Christ has not ceased but has continued till today as per the scripture in Matt. 16:18. Though there is no physical evidence, only history/articles written by early Baptists and non-Baptists, I would believe God's Word.

The fact that we have scriptural baptist churches today that keeps the Word of God by practise is really an encouraging thoughts.

Any thoughts on early church history of Welsh Baptists?