1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Music: To Sing or Not To Sing

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Jan 23, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...that is the question.
    In the Kevin Bauder thread we had some discussion about a Baptist controversy over singing. I agree with Jerome's idea, so I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread. Hope I'm not "jumping the gun" on you, Agedman.

To sing or not to sing. Some might be surprised that Baptists haven't always been answered "to sing"!
    To sing or not to sing at all was an early Baptist controversy. Two major opponents in the matter were Benjamin Keach and Isaac Marlowe (at one time members of the same church). With the many on-demand reprints that are out there nowadays, one can find Keach's side at Amazon, in The Breach Repaired in God's Worship: Or Singing of Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, Proved to Be an Holy Ordinance of Jesus Christ; With an Answer to All Objections. I haven't yet discovered any Marlowe's writing being available.

Some Baptists controversies* about singing include:
    • Congregational singing vs. No congregational singing
    • Singing Psalms vs. Singing "man-made" hymns
    • Lined Singing vs. "Regular" Singing
    • Singing from a word-only hymn book vs. Singing from a tune book (i.e. with musical notation)
    • Hymn Singing vs. Contemporary Music
    • Hymn books vs. Singing "off-the-wall"
    * These controversies certainly have not been limited to Baptists, and some have been more widespread than others

#1 rlvaughn, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion changes from week to week depending upon where I sit during the service.

You see, there's this women with the voice of a cat with it's tail stuck in blender... she's perfectly out of tune for every song and belts each song out loud and proud.​

The church I attend does not have solo singers perform.
    We've had groups, choirs, instrumentals but no individuals.

Rob

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I don't have a problem with congregational singing of hymns.

As it relates to the other thread, I brought up the issue of music merely to show how from the very beginning the controversies were how to apply the Scriptures.

Therefore, what I do have a problem with is the thinking that women have the authority to "speak" (as presenting the gospel message or bringing questions about a biblical issue) in the worship assembly. Such is contrary to Scriptures in 1 Corinthians 14, where Paul is sharing about the preaching (prophecy work of sharing the message of God) in the worship time of the assembly:
    34The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church. 36Was it from you that the word of God first went forth? Or has it come to you only?​

Therefore, that would include solos as they represent a presentation of the Gospel message.

The question then is what about the corporate worship in song and the participation of women?

That is another matter, entirely, and I don't see that addressed in the Scriptures. One could agree that women were present at the last supper, and yet there is nothing in Scriptures about their inclusion or exclusion. Therefore, permitted.

One of the more egregious problems with the modern assembly is not even pretending to attend to the Scripture teaching on this matter.

When in the OP the problem arose, it was a matter of how does the Scripture allow or not allow music.

Now it comes that anyone in any manner at any place can present the Scriptures.

Any folks think that God would actually be pleased much less present?

It is no wonder that the last church mentioned in the Revelation is so out of touch with the reality of Christ that they don't even know He is not there! They must have been too much "In the spirit" to realize that the Spirit was not that of God. Oh, they thought they had the evidence. They were all healthy, wealthy, and wise, but without Christ, they were as that discharged from the mouth that drains from the back of the throat from an infection, or what my grandad would spew as he chewed the tobacco, or what a typical camel might send your direction if you get too close.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other day I ran across English Particular Baptist Singing & Congregational Worship Practices to 1700 by Thomas Ross. I found it an interesting read. I especially liked that he wrote about a few English Particular Baptist statements on singing about 20 or so years prior to Keach starting singing with the Lord's supper, and about 40 years prior to the Keach-Marlow knock-down drag-out over whether or not to sing.