1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Pope Fans

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Oh Well...

Oh Well...so much (at least for the present time) for all those St. Malachy prophecies about "Peter The Roman" or "Petrus Romanus" and this being the advent of the final Pope before the advent of the anti-Christ and the return of our Messiah.....at least for the time being. But who knows...Pope "Francis the 1st" could keel over any day and "Peter the Roman" could step forward NEXT. Who knows...after all the pope is ONLY a man and he could die any day...just like all the rest of us. See the following link if you don't know what I am talking about:
    RaidersNewsNetwork.com I Breaking news, US, World, Science, Discovery, Mystery
    Regardless of what you believe there is still NO HOPE in this man and after watching the Fox News Coverage I was still deeply saddened by the unbridled idolatry and "worship" that was showered upon a man who has no more power with God than the average man that walks in shoe-leather. It is tragic to watch them fawn over this mere man.:tear:

Bro.Greg:saint:

#21 Gregory Perry Sr., Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He is the first non European pope chosen since Peter. First Jesuit one, too. I also believe the patron saint Francis was the patron saint to Italy. Not sure if there is any connection.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What I do not understand is watching the crowds gathered at the Vatican, the joy, glee, and hope they express. What is it that causes that reaction? It has always been a puzzle to me to compare the boring looks of church members during worship to say the excitement of watching say a UK (some years) basketball game. But that makes more sense than this, their excitement is based on cheering a team, a worldy endeavor which is understandable. However, what is driving the crowd at the Vatican? How does the selection of a Pope improve their spiritual lives or eternal destiny?

If I never said it before, your posts are right on target and I enjoy them very much.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When this new guy is brought up-- and we can't avoid hearing or reading it-- I will always think of him as the "Dairy Queen Pope." I was at my usual spot, the local DQ at that time of day, when their screen had CNN on following all this stuff, especially that the new pope was to be identified and presented very soon. On one shot of that balcony the caption said, "VIEW OF VATICAN BALCONY." As often happens, when I read something small or rapidly changing I fail to see a letter or 2, so what I read first was "VIEW OF VATICAN BALONY."

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thanks...

SN..I wasn't looking for compliments but I am thankful when I get one...Thank You my brother!:) As to my comments....I just "calls'em like I sees'em"!
    This was another one of those human tragedies that is the result of the spiritual blindness of the fallen hearts of fallen men. Interestingly...the last time I saw that kind of "worship" was when Obama gave his acceptance speech ( I think it was at an outdoor event in Chicago??) after winning the 08 Presidential election. Scary parallel...huh?:eek:

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Yep!

You were probably more correct that you can ever know!

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

7. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Greg,

What is worse, it seems like many on the BB are fawning over this stuff....really?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have wondered about the election process. I know a collection of the higher ranking cardinals vote and there has to be some type of super majority, but never understood the significance of the home of the new Pope.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, for what it is worth (about a dime), I do not give compliments very often. Pope Obama, yes that is scary. His Biblical name, like Pope John Paul, well let me relate a story. When my first son was born, a nurse can in with a pad and asked what we had decided to name our first child. My wife was out, so I said, Judas Lucifer. She just starred at me, then I busted out in laughter. Anyway, the name fits, Pope Judas Lucifer 1.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This was a very important choice for the Roman Catholic Church.

We'll have see how it works out, time will tell, but the initial signals are positive for those of us praying for steps towards internal reform. (Not Reformation style reform mind you, that isn't possible.)

I had the feed on in my office while working on some reading today. This is an important moment, even if we disagree with our RCC brothers and sisters. We continue to pray for and with them. :)

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I can understand praying with different denominations with values in common, but fail to see how there can be prayer "with" a group that teaches a gospel not in the Bible. It is one thing to disagree on open or closed communion say, but how does one pray in harmony that preaches a Good News message other than salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ?

What will we have to wait and see how it works out? What are the positive signals and what is the end purpose of internal reforms in a denomination that does not understand or practice the Gospel?

Most of all, how does the selection of a Pope relate to this being an important moment? It might be important to the upper levels of the Catholic Church, but fail to see how it is an important moment for anything related to the Lord.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree with you that the RCC teaches anything except salvation by grace through faith. They clearly affirm the role of faith and grace in salvation.

How the sacraments work in with their soteriological views makes it difficult, but faith and grace are watchwords of salvation in the RCC. Just as a note, though I can articulate the RCC view doesn't mean I accept it.

Again, I disagree that they don't understand the Gospel. They do.

Everything rises and falls on leadership. Pretty basic principle in my world. The Pope has a ton of leverage in putting reforms into place to begin redirecting the RCC into a more positive direction where they recognize their marginalization across the first world, celebrate their growth in the second and third world, and prioritize developing a healthy Church without corruption and political practices that are contrary to, well, a bunch of stuff.

By electing a Pope who a) assumes the name of Francis of Assisi, b) is from the Americas, c) has a pattern of support for the poor and growing social justice programs is a good step forward imho. Its a change of direction. We'll have to see how it works out.

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

What A Shame

While I believe we may have some saved, yet disobedient brothers and sisters that have been saved inspite of that unbiblical false church that are still there that have yet to obey the Word of God and come out from among them, I don't believe for one second that a TRUE brother or sister in Christ can remain true to the RCC and be right with God. I know that is not politically correct and I know that will fly in the face of even some of our members here on the Baptist Board but that is where I stand and I believe that is according to the TRUTH of God's Holy Word.

The ONLY prayer I can say for Catholics is that they be saved and depart from that false church. The ONLY prayer I can say for that false church is that God would confound ,restrain, and withstand it's evil works. That church and it's false religious heirarchy are nothing less than wicked wolves clothed in sheep's clothing.

Our Precious Saviour lived a pauper's life while on earth and died a vicious and cruel death shedding His Precious Blood at and by the hands of evil religious men and wimpy political puppets here on earth.:tear: The pompous, idolatrous, materialistic opulence of the "holy mother church" in Rome is an insult to our Saviour and the millions of martyred REAL saints who died at her wicked and violent hands. They can "dress" it up in all the pious pagentry and fine robes they wish and it is still a stench in the nostrils of our True and Holy God. "Come out from among them and be ye seperate."

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Spiritually Irrelevant

While I recognize that the RCC is actually a religious and a political body that are a recognized entity in this world. Their false religious practices, traditions and doctrines make them contrary to the Word of God and the God of the Word. It really doesn't matter how "good" this newly elected pope may be by how the world measures "good". He started off by standing on that balcony at the vatican and asking Mary's blessing on himself and the "church". In doing so he intoned the practice of ungodly and unbiblical IDOLATRY on himself and the assembled "faithful". The RCC is Biblically false and irrelevant. It doesn't matter how many supposed "good works" he does or what direction the RCC takes. It really doesn't matter at all.

Bro.Greg:saint::tear:

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PIJ, Just curious, what would be your guessmation of the % of Roman Catholic who are truly born again?

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

How does what you are saying above fit in with these statements of yours from another thread? ...they seem to be contradictory.

I wrote:
    Then you wrote this:
    But then you wrote this:

How can you agree that the closer one gets to truly embracing RC soteriology, the less likely they are relying on Christ alone for salvation...but at the same time say they don't teach "anything except salvation by grace through faith."?

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

In My Opinion...

Bro. 12Strings,
    In my opinion this is the result of what happens when one has a low view of the absolute nature of the authority of the scriptures. The scriptures are VERY specific...and VERY narrow in what they teach regarding the need for and the requirements of Biblical salvation. The RCC clearly violates and adds to what the Bible teaches by their extra-biblical traditions. That invalidates any claim they have to being either "holy" or the "mother" of anything Godly or Biblical. I could say more but I think that is sufficient for the moment.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course, now that Francis has been elected Pope, you can get "Pope Soap on a Rope."

[​IMG]

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now it is clear why the last Pope resigned.

[​IMG]

20. Gregory Perry Sr.

Wayyy Out There!

Bro.Saturneptune....you are simply incorrigible:laugh::laugh::laugh:!!!!

Bro.Greg