1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist preacher cousins

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Dec 31, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today on my blog I posted brief bios of two first cousins of each other (and first cousins twice-removed to me) –Richard Valentine Holleman (1874-1969, son of Clinton Marion Holleman) and Roe Thomas Holleman (1884-1912, son of Robert Houston Holleman). At least two other first cousins were also Baptist preachers – Nehemiah Morris “Nead” Holleman, son of John Lawrence Holleman, and Moody Cunningham Hays, son of Parmelia C. Holleman Hays. I have little biographical information on either of these.

R. V. was a Primitive Baptist preacher. R. T. was a Missionary Baptist preacher. Both were first cousins of my maternal grandmother, a daughter of Moody Valentine Holleman. One candle burned brightly and quickly. Cousin Roe Holleman died of spinal meningitis in the 27th year of his age. He was licensed to preach in March 1901, and ordained December 21, 1902 – making his time in the ministry about ten years. The other candle burned slowly and steadily. Cousin Richard Holleman died in the 95th year of his age, after nearly 63 years in the ministry. He was ordained December 15, 1905. Surely now any religious differences they had are all resolved!

Here are the links, if anyone is interested.

Richard Valentine Holleman

Roe Thomas Holleman

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Robert I remember growing up that my Dad who was a native of Texas, born in Idalou and finally made his home in San Diego after WWII, was raised in a Primitive Baptist family... I remember when my folks joined the Primitive Baptist Church in San Diego, that once a month or maybe it was quarterly, Dad would receive The Banner Of Love in the mail... He had strong connection to those PB's in Texas... Thanks for the OP, I've heard David Montgomery on line many time and have a few of his books... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1