1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Preachers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jacob62, May 2, 2005.

1. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Do Baptist preachers and/or pastors cast out the devil in a person as Jesus did?

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Jacob, Not that I'm aware of.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Why does it matter? Do you think that you are possessed?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jesus cast out demons. There is only ONE devil.

No. I've never heard of any Baptist preacher 'casting out demons'. A Christian cannot be demon possessed.

5. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I am not aware of any, but I don't see what Christians not being possessed has to do with the question.

We also need to realize that "Baptist" covers a broad spectrum of beliefs. To be Baptist technically means you hold to the autonomy of the local Church, which means practices may very. But, I have never heard of a Baptist Pastor performing such an act.

6. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Several years ago I saw a piece on some TV show about a "Baptist" minister or, at least, a Baptist who had a "ministry" where he cast out demons.

In my own circles I have never heard of a "real-life" Baptist preacher casting out demons. I think most would agree with dianetavegia that Christians can't be possessed.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I know some Baptists in the mission field who deal with this type of ministry. In the United States we don't see as much of this ministry because the public tends to think that possession is a wive's tale. It is not. We cannot accept part of the bible and not accept all of the bible. There is a Christ, there is a satan.

I agree Christians cannot be possessed, but they can be harrassed by demons trying to stop their ministry. I've seen a once good Christian man turned so far from God by such a think that it was like seeing two different people, and the man in question described the physical appearance of the demon trying to convince him to ignore God. It was the fact that he was already a Christian that helped the man overcome the problem.

It is a mistake for Christians to think that Satan is any less determined to destroy lives today than he was when Christ walked on the earth in earthly form.

8. loving2daysyouth

loving2daysyouth New Member

Who has the power to cast out demons? It's not a Pastor, nor is it in his qualifications according to Scriptures. Jesus did and enabled some to do the same, but not us.

9. icthus

icthus New Member

What do you mean by this? There are no "qualifications", except being born-again, required to "cast out demons". I don't know what you mean that this is not for us? If you read the ending of Mark's Gospel, (not in the modern versions that have removed it), you will read the words of Jesus Himself.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; in My Name they shall cast out demons..." (16:17)

This is collective for the Church for all time, till the Lord Jesus returns. I see no where in Scripture where this was only for the time of Christ on earth.

The reason why "Baptists" don't get invloved in "casting out demons", is that they simply do not have the faith to do so, and believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit were for some bygone age. When it comes to the "workings" of the Holy Spirit, you can forget about Baptists, as on this issue they are very far away from what Scripture teaches. Miracles and Spiritual gifts are something they wrongly associate with the Pentecostals, and the Lord will and does by-pass the Baptists to do His mighty works.

10. loving2daysyouth

There are plenty of qualifications for a Pastor (I Tim. 3) yet this idea of casting out demons is not found as a gift in either Romans or I Corinthians. I don't believe in these miracle healings (like Hinn) nor do I believe in the tongues idea. I would put the casting of demons in the same boat. Can God have victory in a person's life? Absolutely, does he use the Pastor to do the casting? it's not scriptural.

11. loving2daysyouth

It's the prayers of a righteous man that availeth much, not the loud-mouth preacher yelling it to death! [​IMG]

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of our Baptist missionaries in Costa Rica has shared one story of exorcism with me.

I agree with TexasSky's comments about North America and icthus's comments about faith.

13. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Certainly, if you are a Christian, satan is your enemy. However, it is when you don't submit to God that you get into trouble. Someone who says, "the devil made me do it" is looking for a convenient excuse.

If an unbeliever is demon-possessed, introduce them to Jesus. [​IMG]

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a friend who went to Ethiopia in the bush country for about 25 years and told me it is much like going back into the book of Acts. When I asked him more he told me that if he were to tell stories of what he saw the average American would not believe him.

15. icthus

icthus New Member

You too think that God is no longer the God of the supernatural? On what Biblical basis do you reject the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is being for today? How can you tell God what He can and cannot do today? Just because one does not believe in miracles and gifts today, does NOT mean that they do not exist. Just because the world does not believe in the devil and hell, does not mean that they do not exist. 1 Corinthians chapter 14 deals with some of the gifts of the Spirit, and there is no where that it says that these have ceased in the Church today. I am NOT a Pentecostal, but a strong believer in a God Who can do what He did in the Bible today, unless, of course it clearly says in Scripture that it is not so.

16. icthus

icthus New Member

I can believe this. The majority of Christians in the West, are content in puting God in a box, and telling Him what He can and cannot do. That is why it says in Scripture that Jesus could not do miracles in a place, because the people did not have faith. We place, through our unbelief, limits on the power of God. There are 1000's of testimonies in ther world where we reac of a mighty God Who is doing things that would make your hair stand! Jesus still says: "have faith in God"

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we as Christians had to live like the Christians in the third world countries, I fully believe that we would witness the miracles that are so denied by moderns.

Our lives are so soft & cushy with very little challenge from true hardship that we "don't need God" like the others do. If and when we get to the point that we "NEED" God like many Christians in this old world, then we'll witness the same miracles!

18. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Hmm.. then.. Peter and Paul and the other apostles did not meet the qualifications of Pastors in the early churches.....?

19. bmerr

bmerr New Member

bmerr here,

There is an often overlooked verse in Zechariah that speaks to the subject of demons or uncleans spirits. Here's Zech 13:1-2, a Messianic prophesy if I'm not mistaken:

1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the ingabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

2 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered; and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land.

It seems to me (and I could be wrong), that when the gift of prophesy passed away (1 Cor 13:8), then demons, or unclean spirits would also be removed from the land.

Prophesy has long since passed from the earth (sorry, Benny Hinn) and inspiration has ceased. The revelation from God is complete, or perfect (1 Cor 13:10).

If those verses from Zechariah mean what I think they mean, then there are no more demons possessing people today.

During the days of the infant church, there was a need to "try the spirits whether they are of God" (1 John 4:1). Today, we have the words of the Spirit of God in the pages of our Bibles (perhaps some more than others).

Just my two cents worth.

In Christ,
    bmerr

20. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I was reading on the other page were some were saying that Christians couldn't be posessed...welll that might be true but what about a Baptist preacher casting a demon out of a sinner? When Jesus cast out the legion demonds out of that one man and the demons went into the pigs...I know that feller wasn't a Christian yet. ;) Right? Left? Or am I even close to making since?