1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Scholarly Articles

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 3, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are the Baptist "scholarly articles"? Are any of them free?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything specific in mind as in subject matter?

3. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    TERM PAPER.
    A. Write a paper in your own words explaining Abraham's righteousness as it
    relates to his faith and obedience. In your paper you must refer to and
    explain the following verses: Genesis 15:6; 22:9-12; Hebrews 11:8-9, 17
    and James 2:21-24.
    B. The paper should be two to three pages long (12 point font, double
    spaced). Do not exceed four pages. The paper should be approximately
    600 to 900 words.

I copied and pasted the scriptures, so I don't need to keep looking them up. Including James in this first term paper surprised me. The course is on Genesis and is the first suggested course.

Genesis 15:6 (KJV) And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Genesis 22:9-12 (KJV) And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Hebrews 11:8-9 (KJV) By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

Hebrews 11:17 (KJV) By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

James 2:21-24 (KJV) Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

4. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am taking the Comp 102 from another online school and am combining the research paper lessons with this assignment.

5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not have access to Atla. I have access to other areas of Ebsco, but not Atla.

7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Writing and reading are interactive, social processes. Ideas presented in written texts are born as a result of long and intense dialog between authors and others interested in the same topic or issue. Gone is the image of the medieval scholar and thinker sitting alone in his turret, surrounded by his books and scientific instruments as the primary maker and advancer of knowledge. Instead, the knowledge-making process in modern society is a collaborative, effort to which many parties contribute. Knowledge is not a product of individual thinking, but of collective work, and many people contribute to its creation.

Academic and professional readers and writers function within groups known as discourse communities. The word “discourse” means the language that a group uses to talk what interests its members. For example, as a student, you belong to the community of your academic discipline. Together with other members of your academic discipline’s intellectual community, you read the same literature, discuss and write about the same subjects, and are interested in solving the same problems. The language or discourse used by you and your fellow-intellectuals in professional conversations (both oral and written) is discipline-specific. This explains, among other things, why the texts you read and write in different academic disciplines are often radically different from one another and even why they are often evaluated differently.

The term community does not necessarily mean that all members of these intellectual and discourse groups agree on everything. Nor does it mean that they have to be geographically close to one another to form such a community. Quite the opposite is often true. Debates and discussions among scientists and other academics who see things differently allows knowledge to advance. These debates in discussions are taking place in professional books, journals, and other publications, as well as at professional meetings.

8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I had access to Atla, it would be a simple as watching this video ( or about 100 others exactly like it) and following the instructions.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you SO much!!! That looks awesome!

Supposedly part of my assignment to engage with my "discourse community" includes posting at message boards. :Biggrin

11. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been reading some websites, articles, sermons, etc., about baptist "education" at all levels; in the church, home, and schools.

How do "scholarly articles" and paywalls fit into all this? Can anyone direct me to any discussion on this topic? Are there any controversies about any of this?

I have a basic understanding of the secular use and thinking of scholarly articles and paywalls and the controversies surrounding them. I wrote a paper on this while I was in my secular college. As I am reviewing this topic for my secular online English course, I am completely confused how to integrate and apply any of this to any papers that I write for any Bible classes.

I found some lists of Bible colleges and have been visiting their library websites. The websites are almost identical to my secular community college's library website except for the addition of directions to log into Atla through Ebsco. I have access to Ebsco, but not Atla: I am assuming there is an additional payway installed for Atla access.

I don't even know exactly what I am asking: I am that confused.