1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists: When did your denomination decide the canon?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NoWelch'sPlease, Feb 20, 2019.

1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What are the chances of a bias history where you are constantly taught "we the only good guys" and everyone else is "absolutely evil"?

Called Mennonites cause of Menno Simons. Catholic priest who had never read the bible. Decides Sola Sciptura. Reads it and rolls on his personal take.

In "Complete writings of Menno Simons" He runs right over faith alone when he gives opinion of Lutherans:

The Lutherans teach and believe, that we are saved by faith alone, without any regard to works. They maintain this doctrine as firmly as though works were not at all necessary; yea, that faith is of such a nature that no work can be suffered or allowed beside it. And, therefore, had the highly important, zealous, and earnest epistle of James (because he reproves such a frivolous, vain doctrine and faith), to be esteemed and considered as straw. O presumption! Is the doctrine straw, then must also the chosen apostle, the faithful servant and witness of Christ, who wrote and taught it, have been a man of straw; this is as clear as the meridian sun. For the doctrine shows the character of the man.

Let every one take heed, how, and what he teaches; for with this same doctrine they have led the reckless and ignorant, great and small, citizens and the common people; into such a fruitless, wild life, and have so much unbridled them, that we would scarcely find such an ungodly and abominable life among the Turks and Tartars, as we see among them. Their open deeds bear testimony; for the excessive eating and drinking; the superfluous pomp and splendor, the whoring, lying, cheating, cursing, swearing by the wounds, sacraments and sufferings of the Lord, the shedding of blood, fighting, &c., which exist among many of them, and, alas, have neither measure nor bounds. In many carnal things, both the teachers and disciples are the same, as may be seen. I well know, what I write, and what I have heard and seen, I testify, and I know that I testify the truth.

If any one can simply say with them, Ah! what dishonest knaves and villains these desperate priests and monks are! They wish them the venereal or some other disease; the ungodly pope with his shorn crew, say they, have deceived us long enough with purgatory, confession and fasting; we now eat as we have hunger; fish or flesh, as we desire; for every creature of God is good, says Paul, and is not to be rejected. But what follows they do not want to understand or know; namely, to (live as) the believing, who know the truth and enjoy it with thanksgiving. They further say, How shamefully they have deceived us poor people, they have robbed us of the blood of the Lord, and directed us to their mummery and to their enchanting works. God be praised, we now know that all our works avail nothing, for the blood and death of Christ alone must blot out, and pay for our sins. They begin to sing a psalm: Der Strick ist entzwei and wir sired frei, &c., i.e. The cord is cut asunder and we are at liberty, while the smell of beer and wine issues from their drunken mouths and noses. Any one who can but read this distich, if he live ever so carnally, is a good evangelical man, and a fine brother. And should some one come, who would, in true and sincere love, admonish or reprove them, and direct them to Jesus Christ, to his doctrine, sacraments and unblamable example, and show that it does not become a christian to carouse and drink, and to revile and curse, &c., he must from that hour hear, that he is a legalist (Werkheiliger), one who would take heaven by storm, or a, factionist, a fanatic or hypocrite, a defamer of the sacrament, or an anabaptist.

Behold! thus God, the righteous Lord, suffers these to err and go astray in their hearts, who rely upon the precious death and the most holy flesh and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, together with his saving and reverent word, in their sensual lusts and wantonness, and make it an occasion of their unclean and sinful flesh. It appears to me this may also truly be called, a liberal and free sect.

2. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You said "Mennonites" not Menno Simons don't believe in faith alone

1645 Dordrecht Confession.

Neither baptism, supper, church, nor any other outward ceremony, can without faith, regeneration, change or renewing of life, avail anything to please God or to obtain of Him any consolation or promise of salvation; but we must go to God with an upright heart, and in complete faith, and believe in Jesus Christ, as the Scripture says, and testifies of Him; through which faith we obtain forgiveness of sins, are sanctified, justified, and made children of God, yea, partake of His mind, nature, and image, as being born again of God from above, through incorruptible seed.

3. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Likewise with a lot of denominations. The Amish are their own group, I really am not sure what they truly believe.
    You are correct Mennonites, do not believe in Eternal Security.

4. utilyan

Site Supporter

Even I agree with this statement given. It don't see a claim of Faith Alone. It literally gave you a list 1. Faith 2. regeneration. 3. change. 4 renewing of life

In fact "REGENERATION" and "RENEWING OF LIFE" might be a clincher against "faith alone".

The MENNONITES do NOT believe in faith alone.

5. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You understand, you don't just have faith, and then live like a Devil correct? Saving faith produces fruit.

6. utilyan

Site Supporter

To split the hairs tiniest possible.

If Saving faith contains sincere love of God which is a matter of allegiance its absolutely fine with me. I don't accept the idea that Faith is superior or produces Love of God.

I believe Love to be superior, integral, the highest priority. Even to equate 100% as essence not only attribute, that God is Love. (agape)

7. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    um what?