1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured BBN Institute

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kathleenmariekg, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have used this site in the past, mostly for Biblical Greek. My entire Greek library got left behind, and I am not even trying to replace that or study Greek right now, but .... never say never.

$500 is a drop in the bucket when you have it, and an unclimbable mountain when you don't. There is zero chance that I can even think about a $500 certificate right now. I really appreciate that this site is also free.

At the same time I was using this site for Greek, there was another that I was using for Biblical Geography that was fantastic. It might have been one of the reformed colleges that offered it for free. I seem to have lost the link to it.

I am really afraid that I will spend too much time planning and spread myself too thin unless I choose a pre-made plan and prioritize it, only supplementing if I have time. And accountability and deadlines would help.

And I want distinctly Baptist teaching right now. I have had some dark moments of faith and some deep confusion; it is distinctly Baptist theology that pulled me out of that and answered the questions at the foundation of where I went wrong.

I was born into a Catholic family, then mom got saved when I was 10 and attended Pentecostal churches. As an adult, I chose Baptist and was rebaptised in a Baptist church. It has a been a messy journey to where I am, and yes, I am first and foremost a Christian. But I have realized recently that I am a Baptist Christian.

There is debate about how much Christians should identify as being anything else than Christian: denomination, nationality, ethnicity, race, etc. Right now, out of all those controversial things, the one I would be lying if I did not claim it, is Baptist. I have been realizing that more and more over the past couple days and especially last night as I studied a BBN lesson.

God knows what he is doing, and I am used to fast hard turns that require meeting new people and going new places and even having to partially adopt a culture as mine for a time. But He repeatedly has brought me back to Baptist, between my journeys elsewhere.

In the middle of this pandemic, in the middle of foreign-language slum, in the middle of a desert, He has brought me home to Baptist again, and given me a computer and a wifi signal. In between water runs and squishing the roaches in my kitchen and the scorpions in my bedroom, I have time to study.

The message I am getting strongest is to honor and trust my elders and that includes choosing what I study. Often what is in the public domain is sufficient and sometimes preferable. I don't believe my elders were wrong as often as the big-name publishers and expensive schools say that they were.

Thank you all for putting up with me and helping me search for study materials!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are misrepresenting his position.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? he plainly stated that based upon their responses to him, that the Sda was another Christian group, with some aberrant doctrines!

5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sermons are easy to search by topic, but even though I signed up, my "saved" sermons are not displaying. Oh well, that is what paper and pens are for. LOL.

I think I like the occasional Criswell video as a supplement to the BBN lessons.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He confirmed the research of another organization. Have you read his book Essential Christianity? It is an e-book on his website WalterMartin.com as it probably is out of print. At any rate, he enunciates the important Christian doctrines that define Christianity. The SDA subscribe to those beliefs but on secondary issues they are all over the map. If I can find the old Kingdom of the Cults at my house, I will re-read it. I do agree with you that their secondary issues are unattractive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am really enjoying my BBN lessons. I am going to continue with this through the holidays. Thanks again to everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you also listen to J vernon then?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He also stated before he died that if the Sda pulled that theology book off the shelf they wrote to answer him, which they did, and kept Ellen White as being inspired and authoritative, which they have, he would have no choice but reclassify as a Cult!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every day.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "My friends"

• Like Like x 1
  12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always liked listening to J. Vernon McGee. There is a Thru The Bible app for cell phones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many many not know that he was life long friends with a Pentacostal pastor, met every sat when possible for breakfast, and they agreed right at the start that he would not preach against tongues, and others agreed not to preach for tongues!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1