1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured BBN: Update on my Progress

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kathleenmariekg, Nov 29, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We discussed this above.

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. " ( Romans 15:4 ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about giving an example of one of the "absolutes" that the teacher is stating?
    I've read through the thread again, but I don't see any mention of an example... so I figure that I must have missed something.

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kathleen...
    Not to be a pain or anything, but do you see a pattern in what you've just written above?:Sneaky

To me, you're describing a man-made curriculum that is used by secular institutions of learning ( for example, the "University of fill in the blank" ) in order to pass down agreed-upon information to students;
    Only in this case, the "textbook" is God's word and you're the student sitting in the chair, absorbing what is handed down to you by the "instructor"...
    and then being "quizzed" and "graded" for it.

In other words, instead of studying the Bible for yourself and learning about all that God has done for you in the Person of Jesus Christ through His preserved word, and trusting your Teacher to show you the answers ( Isaiah 54:3, John 6:45, Hebrews 8:7-13, 1 Corinthians 2:6-16, 2 Timothy 2:15, 1 Peter 2:2, 1 John 2:20-27 ), you're participating in a process that men have developed in order to "teach the Bible" their way, to whomever will listen.

Plus, in many cases the "student" ends up paying for what they have learned.:confused:

Does that not seem odd to you?
    It does to me.
    In fact, the whole thing makes me think that someone wants to put me under a system that make me dependent upon it, and not God, for everything I need as a believer.;)

Question:

Do you see any of this process being what the Lord Himself has described us needing, or having to depend upon, in His word?

5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist

#25 kathleenmariekg, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  6. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that all tertiary schooling is wrong or just tertiary Bible schools? What about primary and secondary schooling? Is Sunday school and discipleship teaching wrong? Is it only wrong for ME to take Bible classes or is it wrong for everyone?

Why can't I do both at the same time? Why does it need to be a choice?

7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold that all "Bible colleges" and "seminaries" are ultimately created by men ( who all disagree with one another, by the way ) and they were not created by God;
    So, to me, there's no need for God's children to be involved in them.

Secular schools are secular, and are used to teach us things like reading, writing and arithmetic...
    Things that we can use while we are here in this life.

But I believe that any attempt by men to develop "curriculum" that can potentially stand between the believer and His words is wrong, and any attempt by mere men to take the place of the Holy Spirit as the believer's Teacher is also wrong.
    You can do whatever you like.
    I have no right to mandate anything.

I'm only making you aware of my opinion.;)

With that said, I can see that my "radical views" are a shock to you, and I've also received several such reactions from others in my time here...
    As if to say, "But what about our long-held traditions of relying on our teachers for our understanding?".
    What I find to be alarming, is that not only is it so very prevalent with professing believers today, but it's as if I'm introducing a novel concept that no one has ever thought of.:Unsure

My question will be, and always has been:

Don't Christians today understand that they have both the right and the privilege to learn from His word for themselves, instead of having their understandings handed to them by their pastors?
    Secondly, does no one check their teachers against what the Bible says?

Kathleen,
    No one seems to care why things are being done the way they are today because we are so used to it.
    Neither do they ever ask, "Why didn't a bunch of fishermen, tax collectors, farmers and other average people ( from the world's point of view ) ever need "Bible colleges" to read, believe and understand His words?"

With all that said, I wish you well.
    This is my last reply in this thread, and I hope that whatever you decide, you find the answers you're looking for.:)

8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you sooo much for the clarification and context. I have not been here long enough to understand how your advice to ME was in context to your GENERAL beliefs.

The kind of general beliefs that you have are not shocking to me at all: I just did not know that they were YOUR beliefs to this extent.

MY general beliefs are that without access to a physical church and a physical school, that I need to explore some alternatives to what I had been doing. I believe that occupations (and preparing for them) and church attendance should never replace personal Bible study, but I believe that a balanced combination of all three is good, and that even some recreation and pleasure is needed as well.

I value your opinions and advice. I was just a little thrown off because I did not fully understand the context. I am sorry that I received your advice with some defensiveness. I do not have time today, but in the future, I would like to explore this topic in a thread devoted to the topic itself. It is an important topic for Christians to discuss..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you still obey the Old Covenant dietary restrictions, and clothing?

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We cannot just use the Bible only though, as required to know the theology and doctrines of others, and also good to know historical theology and other theology views!

• Prayers Prayers x 1