1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BCE/CE vs. BC/AD

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mcgyver, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your weight in "stones"?

I can relate to that -
    gall stones
    kidney stones

Let's keep up with the rest of the world. This is 2005 CE after all . . :eek:

2. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

A.D. 2005...... :D :D :D

As I said, an intellectual exercise.

3. gopchad

gopchad New Member

1Pe 2:6-9
    (6) Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
    (7) Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
    (8) And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
    (9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

No real surprise that BC/AD is offensive to the world. I think, however, that I will stick with it simply because the world hates it. Besides, there is nothing common about Christ.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Sometimes a little straw doesn't make much difference and sometimes it does. Just ask the camel. Sometimes a little link in the chain, or a little spark in the forest, or one small can of soup in the supermarket pyramid can cause a chain reaction. Each vote is small but they all count (usually). BC/AD isn't a deal breaker but it is a piece of the jigsaw puzzle that helps make the whole picture. Take enough pieces out and it is unrecognizable. I say keep it because it was the single most significant point in the history of the world. [​IMG]

5. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Artimaeus wrote:

HE IS RISEN!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Isn't that before common era and common era? not christian era.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ce.htm

it is an attemp to remove Christ even futher from the public's having to recognize He exsists.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

"non offensive"
    I tis offensive to me to make an attempt(and usccessful one too as christians are using it too) to remove Christ, act as if HE does not exsist, so nothing has to be done about Him and personal sin.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

donnA

Not to me ...
    To me it is: BCE (before the Christian era) and CE (Christian era)

9. BruceB

BruceB New Member

I have seen BCE and CE before and (being a cultural dinosaur) had no idea on earth what it meant! Glad to know, but I will stick to BC and AD. Now, can anyone tell me what "LOL" on websites means? Bruce

10. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi El Guero,

Unfortunately for the rest of the world it is "common" era....

Kinda hard for the world to change B.C and A.D. to another meaning though...........

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it is NOT an evil satanic conspiracy to rid the world of Christ.

First of all, most don't have a clue what BC/AD mean in Latin. Secondly, the terms are anachronistic since Christ was born BEFORE CHRIST.

Right.

12. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

But don't you think it is interesting, that in the time that we as a society and the world in general are striving to remove all vestiges of God from the public square; that terms as innoculous as BC & AD (in common usage for how many centuries?)should also be changed?

Brings up the original question: At what point should we as followers of Christ refuse to bow to the pressures of the world at large?
    BCE/CE is a small point, but I wonder at the intent behind the change........

If we wanted a common calendar, how about the Julian, or the Jewish civil calendar (as an example)?

Rome was not built in a day, nor did it fall overnight......But through a series of small compromises they turned from a republic in the time of Cincinnatus to a diseased/unhealthy shadow of their former glory.........

Don't you agree that it is food for thought?

13. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Just an aside......The day may come soon that people who believe that marriage is between one man and one woman; or that Christ is the only true way to the Father, may become anachronisims.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cute, but apples and oranges. One is an academic term that is accurate replacing old terms. The other are biblical principles.

You can't tell me you equate BC/AD with "Bible" truth??? :eek:

15. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Good morning Dr. Bob,
    You wrote:

"You can't tell me you equate BC/AD with "Bible" truth???"

Of course not. I can equate it however, with other attempts to remove all references to God from all aspects of life by the world at large.

Insofar as being an academic term that is "accurate" replacing an old term, in what way did the change serve to provide greater accuracy? Was this change not simply an effort to be non-offensive by referring directly to Christ?

If the old terms were so innacurate, why then wait until the late 20th century to replace them? If we wanted accuracy, why not dump the Gregorian calendar completely and come up with something else?

I find it extremely telling that the use of BCE/CE came into being during the same time that the homosexual movement was starting, during the same time that the push to remove God from the public arena was gaining momentum, during the time that old mores were being supplanted by new thinking.

But the question still remains: At what point do we as Christians refuse to be "politically correct"?

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bruce

The same as RFLOL without rolling on the floor ... laughing out loud ...

McGyver

It is a shame that the "Church" gives into the world so easily ...

17. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

El Guero,

You're right..... :(
    Maybe it's time we stop...... [​IMG]

18. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you moved to Saudi Arabia where increasing religious tolerance resulted in academics and more common folks to move away from the AH (anno Hegirae) Islamic calendar towards the BCE/CE system, would you call that an attempt to get rid of Mohammad and Islam from Saudi society?

[ March 21, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Gold Dragon ]

19. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Although I would like to see (at the risk of sounding "intolerant"), the people of Saudi Arabia liberated from a system of false religion that dooms its adherants to an everlasting damnation; my concern is over the way that any mention of Christ in the public arena is being taken away bit-by-bit here in the States.

It has already gone too far, in my opinion.....
    Especially when one considers that our country was founded upon Christianity.

How far is it to go, or a better question is how far will we let it go.......

I see that you live in Canada. What would happen to the man who publicly quotes Romans 1 under the "hate crime" laws of Canada?
    Now point to the time this change in Canadian society occurred......It wasn't overnight.

20. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many of the US founding fathers were Unitarians and Deists, folks that you would not call Christians if you heard their doctrines.

Quoting Romans 1 is not a hate crime in Canada.