1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, Jun 6, 2018.

1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on 2 Corinthians 6:14, most Christians seem to agree that we should not marry unbelievers. And this is where most end the discussion. I know some churches who will not join labor unions for the same reason. And other churches will not join the military or hold the office of the civil magistrate. All based on Paul’s admonition for us not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

Where do you draw the line and why?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about entering into a business partnership with a non-Christian?

3. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew a believer who interpreted Paul as not being "equally yoked" with unbelievers. So he always held the controlling stock in his companies. But this still put unbelievers in power over others using his assets. But I think Paul means for us not to have any contractual or oath bound entanglements with unbelievers.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any relationship or agreement that might violate my Christian beliefs or convictions/standards.

And would also add that even Christians be be unequally yoked, for what if the Wife wants to be a conservative Baptist, and the Husband wants to name it and claim it all of the time?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...ANY relationship... that MIGHT..."
    That would be quite restrictive...
    I don't think that's what Paul had in mind.
    Follow that thought through...
    You'd need to find a spouse that agreed with everything the partner believed.
    Is that even possible?

Rob

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember - the basic question in the OP is "where do you draw the line"

In post 2 - I mentioned - business dealings. Several years ago, I bpought a business from a Baptist preacher.
    Sometime after - he said I was behind in my payments - which I was not - He was able to prevent me from operating my business - I ended up loosing my shirt.
    Then I went into a couple of businesses ( he owned one - I owned the other) - with a non-Christian- Never had one bit of problem with Larry. In fact, he often would do more for me than he was required.

7. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is obvious that this is a complex area of scripture. The churches I have been associated with generally held to the idea of the marriage relationship between believers and non-believers. Extending it to business partners, military service and such really complicates the issue. I have never applied this scripture to worldly endeavors.

I have and do apply it beyond just the spiritual relationship between couples. I believe marriages between couples with great divergences in education or wealth can add sever pressure to the relationship.

My grandson, who works as a part-time youth minister and goes to college, just got engaged to a young lady who comes from a very wealthy family. He incurred a sizable debt to purchase her ring.

#7 Wesley Briggman, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t go to strip joints with them... not anymore. Also, I haven’t had a beer in months.

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Paul gives us an answer about incompatibility in a worst case scenario when he tells believer to remain married to unbelievers. At least the WOF and Conservative Baptist can see some things eye to eye.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an individual decision (or decisions) based upon our faith ...whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me see if I understand what you are saying. We can draw the line on who we become tied up with even if scripture tells us not to, so long as we believe it's OK?

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DUH, Yes - because I have faith grounded in the word of God.

13. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't even TALK with unbelievers ... to avoid even the appearance of being unequally yolked.
    I just throw a John 3:16 tract at them and run away! :eek:

That was humor, in case it wasn't obvious. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    :)

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do not become unequally yoked with unbelievers? Glad to hear it.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be forthright Dave there was a time in my life when I did become unequally yoked in a business agreement and I lived to regret it.

There are situations which are left up to one's own discernment/discretion.

e.g. I bought my house from an unbeliever over a period of several weeks.
    True there were buffers of the bank, the VA and the Real Estate agent.

Any wage earner or contractor has decisions to make also.
    Though I am not a teetotaler I wouldn't take a software engineering contract with my States Liquor Board but felt no compulsion working for the Department of Licensing for Commercial Driver's licenses.

many companies and government enterprises have business tentacles reaching into areas of liquor, gambling, health industries involved in abortion, euthanasia.

So for me its according to faith ...whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, but there would still be many problems in that type of a marriage related to doctrines of the faith!

19. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't this be an area like where Romans 14:5 states, "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind"? This is an area where you're talking about how far one can go with their conscious approving or disapproving. For the reason that everyone is at a different level of spiritual growth or what they feel God has impressed in their hearts I'm sure you'd get all sorts of variations as to what's right. As I said perhaps what's best is to let people's conscious be their guide.

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is more along the lines of this: You do not walk after your own flesh as a believer. So why take an oath, or sign a contract that forces you to walk after the flesh of an unbeliever. This would rule out everything from marrying an unbeliever to joining the military or working under oath as the civil magistrate.

But bank loans to not require this. So you could proceed with a clear conscience in home buying or any other type of loan.