1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beckham's impact on the USA?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Born_in_Crewe, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

Thought I'd start a post on a proper sport ;)

Just wondering what impact has David Beckham made in the States, now that he is playing for the Los Angeles Galaxy football (soccer) club. The impression I've had so far is that his club are not happy with him because he's been injured most of the time and keeps jetting back to the UK to play for the England national team, plus he gets taunted by opposition fans.

Does anyone on here watch soccer and do you think Beckham playing in the State will make it more popular there? In the U.K. most people feel he made a mistake going there and should have stayed in Europe.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    beckham :rolleyes: who is he and what is this sport called soccer.

Seriously, watched it once and thot it looked ants fighting over a sugar cube.:laugh: and just as interesting.

I'm not sure he has played long enough to make a difference. But when he does play, he is clearly the best player out there. But apparently he also wants to go back to England to play in the Olympics.

3. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

If you don't like 'soccer' fair enough but I don't see what is so exciting about American football, or Baseball for that matter. There is a lot more skill involved in soccer than most other ball sports because its harder to control a ball with your feet than your hands. American Football is okay but would be much, much better if they didn't stop after every tackle. Watch Rugby and you'll see what I mean.

England are currently trying to qualify for the European Championship in 2008 but I think Beckham will miss the crucial last two games anyway due to injury. I have to admit the USA team does quite well for a country which doesn't care about the sport.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I rarely do. I did watch the last part of the U.S.-North Korea women's game.

2) No.

Speaking of the Women's World Cup I see that the United States will play England this Saturday.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No interest in soccer or Beckham.:sleeping_2:

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Soccer doesn't climb up high enough on the list of things I need to do and want to watch on a daily/weekly basis. My oldest son has a bit of interest in it, so we'll see how that goes over the next few years. I don't think Mr. Beckham playing in the States will make one iota of difference in soccer's popularity. He probably should have stayed in Europe, but, given the chance to play on another stage for as much money as he's getting paid, I can see why he would make the jump. I don't think he's living in quite the fishbowl here as I think he probably was in the U.K.

You opened up with a "proper sport" jab and then seem to take Tom Bryant's jab personally. What's up with that? :)

I'd argue about the skill level of soccer vs. baseball. I can kick and handle a ball with my feet. Well, a little bit anyway. It would be highly unlikely I could hit a baseball thrown by a major league pitcher. If American Football didn't stop after every tackle, it would cease to be American Football and would be called something else. Maybe it would be called rugby then. :smilewinkgrin:

7. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

You might not be able to hit a Major League baseball BUT I doubt you could play professional football at any level (unless you have an undiscovered talent). There's a difference between playing in the park and playing at a high level. In my borough and the adjoining borough which have a combined pop. of around 200,000 only four local players have made professional in the last 10 years and one of them hasn't even played a first-team game yet.

I was only having a joke hence the wink... I actually enjoy ice hockey and basketball to a lesser extent. As I said before, American football is OK but its stop-start nature is hard to understand when British team sports (cricket aside) tend to go at a very fast pace.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You are quite correct, and perhaps that's my ignorance of the game of soccer coming through. I would still argue which one requires more skill, but that's a relative term when you're talking about the differences between professional sports. A high degree of skill is definitely required to play any sport as a professional.

Ah, ok, clearly I misunderstood you. Glad I was wrong. :thumbs:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

His only impact has been in cologne ads in the magazines.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soccer is a skill sport just like most sports. Those who do it well like apparently Beckham does have worked hard at honing their skills.

I was only joking about soccer. I am not sure that soccer will ever catch on in america just like I don't think American football or baseball will catch on in England. We didn't grow up with it.

I was around when Pele came over and they thought that soccer would catch fire. It did for a while. I think it's a difference in culture.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Soccer has a big following among the youth of the USA. When these kids grow older who knows what will happen. The MLS does have a growing fan base and is building new soccer only stadiums.

I would not be surprised if soccer becomes increasingly popular in the US.

As far as Beckham goes, he is overpriced, past his prime, but will manage to sell a bunch of shirts.

12. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

That's certainly true :laugh: I've already seen a few L.A. Galaxy shirts here in Britain, sad really!