1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beer or football on Sunday, which is a sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Feb 5, 2007.

1. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

The Christian Sabbath is salvation in Christ. It is the "rest" we have through Christ as Hebrews 4 covers.

for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:10 ESV)

So our Sabbath begins when we are saved. It does bother me when people apply this PLUS works. Salvation is by faith alone so grab a beer and turn on the football game all for the glory of God. Did you witness the awsome Christian testimony of those two black coaches?

2. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    dale kesterson,

re: "The Christian Sabbath is salvation in Christ. It is the ‘rest’ we have through Christ as Hebrews 4 covers: for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:10 ESV) So our Sabbath begins when we are saved. "

What specific works did you used to do that you are no longer doing?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Since the book of Hebrews was written to the Jews, resting from works would mean to stop trusting in our own righteousness to be saved and "rest" in the finished "work" of Christ. :)

4. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

We tithe on our income--why not give a tithe of our week to God? Just one day, spent in listening to God speak to us through a chosen vessel, reading God's Word, praying, soul-winning--is that too much to ask? Actually, if you want to get down to brass tacks here, God deserves a lot more time than that (yes, I understand the busy schedule thing--mine's hectic at the moment as well).

'Bout drinking: uh, guys, "wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." (Don't ask for a translation of the last phrase: tactfulness is not one of my most notable qualities. [​IMG] )
    DRF