1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by King James Bond, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Webdog,

Many learning Christians make the mistake of saying that the Lord was going to 'spew' backslidden Christians out of the Kingdom and away from Him.

What God is saying is that He will set aside the usefulness of this church if they do not return to the vibrant faith they once enjoyed.

This is why John writes these words.

Review again Revelation 4:15-16.

Regards,
    "Ray"

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Heb 12 tells us that - For ALL whom God loves He reproves and disciplines. We see this in John 15 with the trimming of the branches as well as in Heb 12 with the children of God being disciplined.

The principle has moved to one that is general - and not some special dispensation/treatment that only applies to the Laodiceans. Those whom God loves He disciplines (disciples) Heb 12, John 15, Rev 3:19

And in keeping with that general case we have Christ continuing to speak – to the SAME group and showing that this is a personal – direct message..
    Here we see the case of those NOT in UNION with Christ – NOT in fellowship with Christ. As even some Calvinists will admit – regeneration is the first point where a person IS in union with Christ.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/35/1533.html#000005

The case is made that the same “anyone” that is instructed to “open the door” is the SAME “anyone” that WILL receive the benefit of immediate fellowship with Christ (I will dine WITH him and he WITH Me). Here is picture “union WITH Christ” – following as a result of the choice to open the door.

Many reject the idea that those being addressed in Rev 3 could possibly be OUT of union with Christ”. They shrink from thinking that the sinner is “alone and without UNION with Christ” on the INSIDE while Christ is on the OUTSIDE! The reject this because “Calvinism” needs to avoid this “inconvenient detail” of scripture..

Yet we see “in the text” that each individual must HEAR and OPEN the door and then to each ONE that does – the RESULT will be that immediate fellowship that is promised. This is not a case of those ALREADY in fellowship with Christ and “inside the church” being promised that they WILL be in fellowship if they only open the door. Rather it is a promise to the condemned of Vs 17 that THIS action will result in the INDIVIDUAL being IN fellowship The propitiation (atoning sacrifice) of Christ provides the currency in "suffering" owed by all lost humanity - but God holds application of that currency by His OWN rules - to "Whosoever Will" saying "I STAND at the door and KNOCK if anyone HEARS my voice AND OPENS the door I WILL come IN" Rev 3:21.

Fortunately Calvinists like John MacArthur seem to “get the point” about UNION with Christ NOT being defined as “the sinner alone on the inside WITHOUT Christ while Christ is on the OUTSIDE knocking and waiting for the sinner to open the door”

Here's what John Macarthur (calvinist) says

From MacArthur's study Bible comments on Rev 3, page 1997.

The conditions are clear - God is not fire-hosing us with payment of our debt. Rather the blood of Christ - and suffering for our sins is carefully treasured - held for us to claim "IF we CONFESS our sins HE IS faithful and just to FORGIVE us our sins AND to CLEANSE us from ALL unrighteousness".

It could not BE any clearer.

Salvation is “individual” the remedy is “individual” the people IN the church of Laodicea are in fact “individuals” with the spiritual condition described, and in need of taking the “action” described – individually – to obtain the “individual solution” described IN the text in “individual” terms.

Note – the “individual terms” continue –

It is NOT just the Laodiceans that will enjoy God's company and sit with Christ - but ALL who open the door.

At times – the Calvinist approach is to imagine “the door of the CHURCH” is closed to Christ and all on the inside of the church are “without Christ” – all on the inside are “spiritually blind, wretched, poor, miserable and spiritually naked” without the robe of Christ. Then in that view – one of the members is asked to “let Christ into the church” since He is outside the door of the church knocking. But in that case the “result” would be that only to that One – is fellowship restored – the REST would remain – spewed out – miserable and lost since the language of the solution shows that “I with HIM and HE with ME” is the nature of this 1-to-1 solution.

Calvinism’s attempted rework of the text is not possible.

3. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Bobryan,

It is really quite simple. Instead of your focus on the ANYone.....focus more on the IF .

IF anyone hears..........and what IF anyone does not hear?

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

Now the next question should be.......who is able to hear His voice?

If anyone hears...........

Would you say it might be those with ears to hear?

How about if they are not able to hear? Can they hear if unable?

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

"To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

"And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.

"Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.

Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

"I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

"I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.

"As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

"And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

No matter what people want to debate on......I would say ONLY the sheep hear His voice.

Thanks, KJB

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Doing so - reduces the text to a "marketing ploy".

"IF anyone hears and OPENS" makes it look like a generous wide open offer. But in a lawyereeze style warp of the text it becomes "IF anyone can get to me -- and I am paralyzing all so no one can - then I will give them a billion dollars".

In other words the Calvinist ploy is to insert a "game" into the text so that what APPEARS to be an invitation to the lost - to become saved and enter into UNION WITH Christ -- is nothing more than a gimmick. A marketing phrase made to LOOK generous!

The text does not say "IF ANYONE CAN HEAR" NOR does it say "TO THOSE who have been SELECTED to hear" -- all the Calvinist gimmicry is missing.

It just says "To anyone who HEARS AND OPENS" and the RESULT of that ACTION taken by the one who is ALONE and WITHOUT CHRIST on the INSIDE - is said to be UNION with Christ.

"HE WITH ME... and I WITH HIM".

Impossible to miss.

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

Notice that being WITH Christ follows that ACT of OPENING.

Notice that Christ does not LIMIT those for whom He is standing and knocking. The one ALONE and WITHOUT Christ on the INSIDE must hear AND OPEN.

The choice is obvious.

So God sends the Holy Spirit to "Convict the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment"John 16

There is NO point made in Rev 3 "To those ABLE TO HEAR I call out"

But the Calvinist dodge is to INSERT the idea of ABLE into the text as if SOME will not hear and open because they are NOT ABLE --

Indeed - if one were to cling to Calvinism at all costs that is what we would have needed to read IN the text of Rev 3 "WHO IS ABLE".

Christ says of the wicked lost "You say you SEE - your sin REMAINS".

It is not that they are not ABLE to hear the convicting voice of God in John 16 who CONVICTS the world or of Christ in John 1 who coming into the world "Enlightens EVERY MAN" -- it is that they choose NOT to do anything about it. They choose NOT to open the door.

In Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here again you have lost the argument on your own grounds.

If the one on the inside is ENABLED by regeneration and the FIRST step in regeneration is UNION WITH CHRIST (by definition) then the picture of the sinner ALONE on the INSIDE and WITHOUT CHRIST can NOT be the STARTING point of Regeneration.

Regeneration would have CHRIST ON THE INSIDE with the sinner and the two IN UNION. Christ then ENABLING the sinner to go and open the door.

You yourself have just cast this picture such that BOTH the rengerate AND THE NON-regenerate have the SAME situation of being ALONE on the INSIDE with Christ on the OUTSIDE KNOCKING!!

This means you have a non-regenerate sinner whom you claim is ABLE to HEAR and OPEN while another non-regenerate sinner (one whom God has not arbitrarily selected) is NOT ABLE to hear and open.

You have stepped into a place that most Calvinists do not go - which is that the ENABLING is happening in your model BEFORE REGENERATION and APART from UNION with Christ!!

You have desribed a condition of ENABLEMENT for someone who is NOT YET REGENERATE - that the ARminians have ALSO BEING arguing for! And I am sure you claim that God is the one who ENABLED them (as to the Arminians).

Do see what you have done?

Once you have accepted the obvious prinicple of God's enabling BEFORE UNION with Christ - and BEFORE regeneration - you have Arminianism!

In Christ,

Bob

7. King James Bond

I do not accept the choices you give...because there may be more than what you offer.

It means that we also were by nature creatures of wrath.

It means we all start out as unregenerate.

It means we are all sinners and He saves us when we are dead in sins and transgression.

I hope the following from the London Baptist Confession of faith helps out;

Chapter 10:1

Those whom God hath predestinated unto life, he is pleased in his appointed, and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God; taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.

His sheep WILL hear His voice. In the day of His power His people will be made willing.

Hope that helps! Thanks KJB

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you arguing that we HEAR and are ENABLE and ACT and OPEN the door - BEFORE regeneration KJB?

If so - you are arguing the Arminian POV.

IF you argue that God's ELECT are the only ones DRAWN and ENABLED -- but NOT via regeneration --

Then you have an odd mix that is neither Arminian or Calvinist.

It is really that simple.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    KJB - your "problem" is that you have accepted too much of the scripture in Rev 3 for Calvinism. This is leaving you stradled on the fence.

The same thing happens when a Calvinist accepts too much of Matt 18 - more than Calvinism will tolerate.

10. King James Bond

Bob,

I have given you a Baptist confession of faith which happens to be in line with John Calvin.

Enabled/regeneration no matter how you slice it it is God's work.

By the way what is a POV?

Well I have a lot of problems but am not straddled on a fence on where I stand on this issue.

Let me be more clear on where I stand. This time I will provide you with Scripture proof text. Here is a portion from Chapter 3 London Baptist Confession;

God hath decreed in himself, from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably, all things, whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby is God neither the author of sin nor hath fellowship with any therein; nor is violence offered to the will of the creature, nor yet is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established; in which appears his wisdom in disposing all things, and power and faithfulness in accomplishing his decree.
    ( Isaiah 46:10; Ephesians 1:11; Hebrews 6:17; Romans 9:15, 18; James 1:13; 1 John 1:5; Acts 4:27, 28; John 19:11; Numbers 23:19; Ephesians 1:3-5 )

Although God knoweth whatsoever may or can come to pass, upon all supposed conditions, yet hath he not decreed anything, because he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions.
    ( Acts 15:18; Romans 9:11, 13, 16, 18 )

By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestinated, or foreordained to eternal life through Jesus Christ, to the praise of his glorious grace; others being left to act in their sin to their just condemnation, to the praise of his glorious justice.
    ( 1 Timothy 5:21; Matthew 25:34; Ephesians 1:5, 6; Romans 9:22, 23; Jude 4 )

These angels and men thus predestinated and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed, and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.
    ( 2 Timothy 2:19; John 13:18 )

Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to his eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of his will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of his mere free grace and love, without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving him thereunto.
    ( Ephesians 1:4, 9, 11; Romans 8:30; 2 Timothy 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; Romans 9:13, 16; Ephesians 2:5, 12 )

As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so he hath, by the eternal and most free purpose of his will, foreordained all the means thereunto; wherefore they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ, are effectually called unto faith in Christ, by his Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified, and kept by his power through faith unto salvation; neither are any other redeemed by Christ, or effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.
    ( 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:9, 10; Romans 8:30; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Peter 1:5; John 10:26; John 17:9; John 6:64 )

I hope it is very clear to you although for some reason I doubt it will be!

Regards, KJB

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    KJB - my three questions to you are the following.

#1. Do you AGREE with Calvinists that regeneration BEGINS with UNION with Christ for the lost sinner?

#2. DO you AGREE with Calvinists that it is REGENERATON that ENABLES the sinner to CHOOSE Christ - to ACT?

#3. Do you still AGREE WITH YOURSELF that in the Rev 3 scenario (of Christ on the OUTSIDE and the sinner ALONE on the inside) is the case for ALL (both the elect and lost). But as you say - for the elect God will have them hear and OPEN while for the non-elect they simply remain out of UNION with Christ UNNABLE to respond to Christs pointless knocking?

In Christ,

Bob

12. King James Bond

Bob,

Forget your many questions for a few minutes. Stop the caffeine doses for at least one day and concentrate please.

Here is the start of the topic;

Now my point is that no matter what you see in the main verse as it's topic or context........in no way does it prove people have free-will.

You commented to me about me being on a fence about regeneration or being enabled.

That may be an entirely different topic and may not have anything to do with that verse at all.

However, I gave you my answer and suggest you study it as it will clear itself up for you.

Calm down and read it over a few times in your head without the coffee.

I am not asking you to agree with me about regeneration or how God enables people. Just read it and understand my postion on it.

My response is clear, concise, and easy to understand.

Now as for the text;

It does not prove that people (anyone) is able to do anything at all. It does not answer questions about God regenerating or enabling.

It does not prove people have a will to come to Him or a will to hear Him.

It only makes a statement of what would happen IF .

Do you understand that? IF!

It is also not proper to think that God may not demand from men what men are not able to do.

He has every right to demand all people to be perfect even though no person is able to be perfect.

He has every right to demand that all people do not sin, even though all people sin.

He has every right to call all people to repent, even though people may not be able to do so.

He has every right to demand all people to listen even though they don't listen.

He has every right to demand whatever He wants. He is God!

Please read and dwell on my previous answers for awhile.

I suggest you read the first portions of the Heidelberg Catechism as a good starting base.

3.Q. From where do you know your sins and misery?

A. From the law of God.[1]

[1] Rom. 3: 20;

4. Q. What does God's law require of us? A. Christ teaches us this in a summary in Matthew 22: You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.[1] This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.[2]

[1] Deut. 6:5. [2] Lev. 19:18.

5. Q. Can you keep all this perfectly?

A. No,[1] I am inclined by nature to hate God and my neighbour.[2]

[1] Rom. 3:10, 23; I John 1:8, 10. [2] Gen. 6:5; 8:21; Jer. 17:9; Rom. 7:23; 8:7; Eph. 2:3; Tit. 3:3.

Thanks and regards, KJB

13. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Ray is right about this. Thank you Dr. for providing some sound scholarship on this particular passage.

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Here we see the case of those NOT in UNION with Christ – NOT in fellowship with Christ. As even some Calvinists will admit – regeneration is the first point where a person IS in union with Christ.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/35/1533.html#000005

The case is made that the same “anyone” that is instructed to “open the door” is the SAME “anyone” that WILL receive the benefit of immediate fellowship with Christ (I will dine WITH him and he WITH Me). Here is picture “union WITH Christ” – following as a result of the choice to open the door.

Many reject the idea that those being addressed in Rev 3 could possibly be OUT of union with Christ”. They shrink from thinking that the sinner is “alone and without UNION with Christ” on the INSIDE while Christ is on the OUTSIDE! The reject this because “Calvinism” needs to avoid this “inconvenient detail” of scripture..

Yet we see “in the text” that each individual must HEAR and OPEN the door and then to each ONE that does – the RESULT will be that immediate fellowship that is promised. This is not a case of those ALREADY in fellowship with Christ and “inside the church” being promised that they WILL be in fellowship if they only open the door. Rather it is a promise to the condemned of Vs 17 that THIS action will result in the INDIVIDUAL being IN fellowship The propitiation (atoning sacrifice) of Christ provides the currency in "suffering" owed by all lost humanity - but God holds application of that currency by His OWN rules - to "Whosoever Will" saying "I STAND at the door and KNOCK if anyone HEARS my voice AND OPENS the door I WILL come IN" Rev 3:21.

Fortunately Calvinists like John MacArthur seem to “get the point” about UNION with Christ NOT being defined as “the sinner alone on the inside WITHOUT Christ while Christ is on the OUTSIDE knocking and waiting for the sinner to open the door”

Here's what John Macarthur (calvinist) says

From MacArthur's study Bible comments on Rev 3, page 1997.

The conditions are clear - God is not fire-hosing us with payment of our debt. Rather the blood of Christ - and suffering for our sins is carefully treasured - held for us to claim "IF we CONFESS our sins HE IS faithful and just to FORGIVE us our sins AND to CLEANSE us from ALL unrighteousness".

It could not BE any clearer.

Salvation is “individual” the remedy is “individual” the people IN the church of Laodicea are in fact “individuals” with the spiritual condition described, and in need of taking the “action” described – individually – to obtain the “individual solution” described IN the text in “individual” terms.

Note – the “individual terms” continue –

It is NOT just the Laodiceans that will enjoy God's company and sit with Christ - but ALL who open the door.

At times – the Calvinist approach is to imagine “the door of the CHURCH” is closed to Christ and all on the inside of the church are “without Christ” – all on the inside are “spiritually blind, wretched, poor, miserable and spiritually naked” without the robe of Christ. Then in that view – one of the members is asked to “let Christ into the church” since He is outside the door of the church knocking. But in that case the “result” would be that only to that One – is fellowship restored – the REST would remain – spewed out – miserable and lost since the language of the solution shows that “I with HIM and HE with ME” is the nature of this 1-to-1 solution.

Calvinism’s attempted rework of the text is not possible.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bob this is not your best defense of your erroneous Arminianism. You should stick to passages that provide ammunition rather than holding on to the empty bag you keep trying to pull the rabbit out of with Revelation 3:20.

It simply doesn't fly.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Ray is right about this. Thank you Dr. for providing some sound scholarship on this particular passage. </font>[/QUOTE]This is the exact opposite of what another calvinist (John Macarthur) has to say about Rev. 3. Who is right, Macarthur or Berrian?

16. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Webdog,

You need to understand that John MacArthur and Ray Berrian and Hardsheller and Webdog are all fallible human beings.

All of us will make mistakes in interpreting scripture.

In this case Berrian and Hardsheller are right and MacArthur and Webdog are wrong.

Rev 3.20 is not about Calvinism or Arminianism. It is about the Church at Laodicea in the first century.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You say "Berrian and Hardsheller are right, Macarthur and Webdog are wrong". Do you have facts and scripture that support this, or is this just an empty allegation? Who has made the mistake in interpreting the scripture? I believe the context and cross reference supports Macarthur. I know it is about the church at Laodicea, but it indirectly relates to the c/a position of depravity, election, atonement and grace as a whole.

18. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Simply Look at the context of the Scripture Webdog.

Rev 1:4 John: To the seven churches in the province of Asia. Grace and peace to you from the One who is, who was, and who is coming; from the seven spirits before His throne;

In Chapters 2-3 Jesus Calls for six of the churches to repent from certain sins within the church. Only Philadelphia escapes this call to repentance.

Why then do you think the word picture in 3:20 is the exception to the rule in Chapters 2-3? It simply cannot be proven that this is the case.

What scriptural evidence do you have that conclusively proves that Jesus is not talking to the Laodicean Church but to lost people behind a closed door? There is none.

Holman Hunt's painting of this verse from the 1800's entitled "The Light of the World" is more responsible for the erroneous interpretation of this passage of scripture than any other one factor I can find.

This passage is about the Church at Laodicea not about lost people accepting Christ. It is about Christians who have quenched the Spirit within coming back into full fellowship with Christ.

It's really that simple.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

First I would like to point out that all "churches" are not Biblical. Can you think of any denominational "churches" where the members do not believe in faith in Jesus Christ for salvation? I can.

To know the geography of Laodicea helps. As John Macarthur points out, nearby Hierapolis was famous for its hot springs, and Colosse for its cold, refreshing mountain stream. But Laodicea had dirty, tepid water that flowed for miles through an underground aqueduct. Visitors, unaccustomed to it, immediately spat it out. The church at Laodicea was neither cold, openly rejecting Christ, nor hot, filled with spiritual zeal. Instead, its members were "lukewarm", hypocrites professing to know Christ, but not truly belonging to Him. (Matt. 7:21) Like the dirty water in Laodicea, these self-deceived hypocrites sickened Christ. Revelation 3:20 only makes sense then, that Christ is on the outside "knocking" waiting for the church at Laodicea to open the door. This phrase makes no sense if the church at Laodicea was a church of believers with Christ on the outside, as the church is the body of Christ. If they only opened the door, they could partake of the "supping" with Him, as He is the bread of life (Luke 22:30, Mark 14:25, Matt. 26:29).
    Jesus also says He will never leave us nor forsake us. For Jesus to be on the "outside" of the door implies He is not inside our hearts. This has nothing to do with fellowship with believers. Macarthur wrongly states that rather than allowing for the common interpretation of Christ's knocking on a person's heart, the context demands that Christ was seeking to enter this church that bore His name but lacked a single true believer. Christ cannot enter the church unless He enter's the hearts of the non believers in the church.

20. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I would say that all churches mentioned in the New Testament started off as being "Biblical Churches." Now it is true today that not all churches are Biblical but you could not say that of the churches mentioned in the NT.

All of them had problems but they all had True Believers in them.

MacArthur is simply wrong on this passage of scripture.

Jesus does say that He will never leave us nor forsake us.

John also said in 1 John 2:27-28

1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him ABIDETH IN YOU, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall ABIDE IN HIM.
    1Jo 2:28 And now, little children, ABIDE IN HIM; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

The Holy Spirit is given to every true believer at salvation. The HS resides in every true believer from that point on. He never leaves us.

But as John points out in verse 28 we have to abide in him or else be ashamed before Christ at his coming.

Paul said in Thessalonians that we should not quench the Spirit thus emphasizing the same thing John is saying.

These Christians in Laodicea had so quenched the Spirit of God within them that they no longer were Abiding in Him as John warned in 1 John 2:28.

The picture that is presented in Rev 3:20 is one of this spiritual aloofness that the Laodiceans have cultivated within their church. Christ desires to come back into the fellowship of the church and 'sup' with them. The Laodicean Christians hold the key to whether that will happen or not.

To make this passage talk about Salvation is adding to the Simple Meaning of the Text.