1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Being upfront

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I would like you to explain to me what you mean by Washers being "POISON" to a local congregation?!? Is it that he snaps them out of their comfort zones & threating to a nice & comfortable congregation......because if so... No, let me stop here. Will wait for your explanation before jumping to conclusions! Thanks

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

If it had been an honest question, you would have left the word "twaddle" out.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I call them as I see them.

4. Herald

Herald New Member

Saturn, no worries I respect your church's decision not to re-invite Paul Washer. I cannot comment on your experience, only my own. He hits hard. The reasoning he has given in interviews is that the he believes that much of the Western church is apostate. It does not live what it claims to believe. I cannot say I disagree with his assessment of the Western church. I know my own struggle with sin.

I doubt Washer would agree that his sort of preaching should dominate pulpits every Lord's Day. His purpose is to wake people up. It is the job of the elders to shepherd the flock. I think that is the real problem in Western churches -- a failure on the part of elders to shepherd the flock of God under their charge.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom.....1st thank you for your commentary.

I must say that any commentary on this forum is always terse & combative and we all have had our time in the barrel so if you are looking for mellow conversation, I fear this is not the place to hang your hat.

As to gnostic's, whatever has happened in the past to Calvinists or Non-Cals is really past history......my own conclusion is they all have evolved to mature belief systems. However I would see some level of gnosticism in the focusing on the present church is offering the world which is other world / do it all so you will get into heaven theology. This manifests itself in typical conventional church with tired & lazy church service. That is why when I viewed a 'Paul Washer' You Tube this morning, I was stunned. But more importantly I see the actions of churches today as modern day gnosticism.

John 20:27

King James Version (KJV)

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Are we modern Christians afraid to touch the flesh of Christ because if we cannot do this, then we sure as shootin cannot touch the flesh of one another and understand what God is calling us as disciples to do. Thomas is our symbol of heady faith. So Christ asks Thomas to touch the wounds & finally believe. Unfortunately most of us are sleep walking through life & the church is reinforcing the zombie like behavior.

So how can we ever possibly expect the world to take us seriously... that to me is Gnosticism & we are all guilty of it.

#105 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tactful & well said Herald! :sleeping_2::laugh:

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now, if Ron Paul wants to start an appliance company, I will buy a Paul washer, and a Paul dryer for that matter.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, The Washer....only comes with a agitator....LOL

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I also.

I'll see your "twaddle" and raise you a "drivel".

Your turn, if you care to continue with the slinging that you initiated.

#109 Thomas Helwys, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Pastor's and pulpit committees need to be up front and open and honest and transparent.

Maybe our politicians could learn from us.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.