1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being "Young" and Southern Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jun 20, 2008.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Since JD Greear was mentioned, I thought I'd link a great post of his concerning a similar matter.

Here is the entire post...here

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Here is a quote from the same article that I think has A LOT of truth in it as to why denominationalism, specifically with the SBC here, is on a decline in general:

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing misplaced about standing for the accuracy and inerrancy of the Word of God. Nothing misplaced about standing for biblicial standards for Pastors. Nothing misplaced about standing for biblical standards on sexuality. If they want to leave because we do not allow them their sinful culture then so be it. It is better to have a few who stand on the truth of the Word of God than to give permission for cultural deviancy. People are more worried about self proclaimed freedom than they are responsibility and holiness.

4. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

AMEN!!

(1Jn 2:19) They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

...yeah, and they're all mystical heretics stemming from apostate roman catholicism, too. Right?

#5 dan e., Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  6. donnA

donnA Active Member

absolutely!
    It bothers me that so many are willing to compromise in the name of tolerance, acceptance, and modern revelance.

7. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

hmmm - I think traditionalism (in the bad way - that is - holding high some non-salvific or non-orthodox principles as a non-negotiable) is probably a factor, too.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Allow me to add something, as my sarcasm hardly shows up in a joking manner on the board.

I don't think it is a fair assumption to say JD is referring to any of what you just mentioned, Rev., when he talks about misplaced priorities. You are, again, making people out to be something they are not.

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

You did a good job of destroying the strawman you created.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm a young pastor (20something) in the SBC and have had the blessing of being involved in some great works straight out seminary.

I agree that the SBC (my home denomination, I was an SBCer 9 months before I was born and have been since) is adrift in a sea of complacency and lack of Holy Spirit power. Too many of our people are still operating with a war-like mentality when they approach denominational life and as a result we keep rebombing the same captured territory...injuring and killing some of our promising rising leaders in the process.

I'll continue to support my beloved denomination as long as we remain lashed to the cross and do missions cooperatively. But don't expect me to serve in an SBC affliated church for all my life. We've lost the edge for growing, missional work and, if God so leads my family, we will happily serve in other churches (while still supporting the CP.) If one takes a quick look at a list of the fastest growing and farthest reaching (Gospel-oriented) churches we find a list full of leaders who used to be in the SBC but can't work with the denominational structures anymore. That saddens me.

We have some great people in our convention, but if we continue down the road of "everybody is out to kill the Bible but us" we will continue to see reducing numbers. Too many of our leaders are trying to do 21st century ministry with a 19th century methodological complex. Just because I preach in flip-flops, tattered jeans, and a casual shirt and we have a very progressive worship style doesn't make us any less Gospel oriented.

One of the great opportunities I've had in the past several years is to take our contemporary, young church and partner with an established, traditional SBC on the other side of town to do Kingdom work together. It is a real hoot to see a bunch of 20 and 30somethings in shorts and t-shirts teaming up with a bunch of 60 and 70 year olds in suits and dresses and accomplishing the work of the Kingdom together in love.

Maybe the biggest fix for our convention will be when we realize so many of our future leaders aren't paying attention to the foolish squabbles and downright carnal actions of so many of our leaders to continue to secure some old battlefield that is strewn with the corpses of once faithful servants in our convention. Additionally, I think a lot of our people are waking to the notion that the conservative resurrgence (which did accomplish its goals) has become a fundamentalist takeover that is all about money and power.

I'll be an SBCer until God says otherwise, but an very uninvolved SBCer. I will contribute to the CP until it goes away or changes mightily (or I go and meet Jesus.) I will continue to personally affirm the 1963 BF&M over the 2000, and love my brethren who affirm the 2000 all the same. I will continue to minister the Gospel as I go and make disciples.

I pray for our convention. If this previous annual meeting was any marker we are turning a HUGE corner and many are realizing this foolishness must stop soon. We have too short of time on this world and too great a task to keep squabbling and lobbing missiles over straw men and minor theological issues.

Thanks for the thread. :)

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There is a world of stuff implied here. I an well aware of the liberal complaints. The one thing I left out was the speaking in tongues heresy. Such contrived and ungodly behavior shows a lack of good judgment. The convention once ignored these matters and our convention slid down hill fast. We has seminary professors who didn't believe the word of God was authoritative, the Genesis account was a bunch of tails, the World of God was just "a book of words". We will not regress to that sad state we once held.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you read far too much into things and are constantly looking for a fight. (Just being honest) I read this stuff and didn't see or hear of that.

Accusing faithful ministers of being "liberal" (whatever that means) and deniers of inerrancy when they are anything but is quite the aggregious offense.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you should reread my post.

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What has been done in the SBC to reverse the slide into liberal theology (especially in the seminaries) has to be greatly admired. To my knowledge, the SBC is the only major denomination to make such a change.

The question becomes, however, has the SBC gone too far on some issues?

By saying "gone too far", what I am asking is... has the SBC gone beyond the biblical standards given by our Lord and imposed their own standards in the place of God's standards, on some issues?

I believe they have, at times, gone beyond biblical standards and have imposed their own, to the detriment of the cause of Christ.

peace to you:praying:

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Is that (to me) strange statement just an unusual way of saying that your parents were members of an SBC church? If it is, then you probably attended SBC services both when you were in the womb, and when you had been born, but until you were born again, you were not a Christian of any denomination.

#15 David Lamb, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is based on a doctrinal difference. If you agreed doctrinally then you wouldn't have a need to say so.

17. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want my doctrine to be based on scripture. When the SBC goes beyond scripture as a foundation of their doctrine, they have gone too far.

For example, several years ago the SBC forbade any person who had a divorce in their background to serve as a missionary. That prohibition cannot be found in scripture. I believe such a prohibition is, therefore, contrary to the teachings of God found in scripture and has been detrimental to the cause of Christ.

peace to you:praying:

#17 canadyjd, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  18. TomMann

TomMann New Member

First off, I am not a member of a SBC Church, rather an independent church. I fully expect we will see a decline in all true christianity as the end times approach.

2 Tim 3:1-2 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be....................

I think we may see an increase in religious activity..... i.e...... Mega Church atmosphere with accent on inclusiveness and entertainment instead of sound doctrine. I'm wishing for, but not expecting any great revival of values and standards.

Not for contensious argument but I see the falling away of 2 Thess 2:3 as what we are experiencing in our current liberal slide in morals and values. And while many will talk about context, context, context.... I think an adequate description of the current situation is "wax worse and worse".

So I am not suprised or worried about any current trend of decline in any membership which holds to true biblical standards. I expect it. I still expect that it is our duty to "Proclaim the mighty works of God" regardless of what we preceive as a trend. Let God be God and His will will be done in heaven and on earth....

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Tom, no offense but your message and avatar match perfectly.

20. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Zat better!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to match the message, Peace and Safety!

#20 TomMann, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008