1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beliefs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Carico, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That is not a misapplication. It says that it is going to be night for one person, and day for the other, at the same time. That certainly shows scientific accuracy: no way this truth could have been known!

Again, I am baffled by the way you are trying to portray the Bible is scientifically inaccurate. This truly astounds me: if you trust Christ, who quoted the Old Testament as fact, what ON EARTH could be your agenda?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Again, "chuwg" carries the context of a circular shape, but not a disc shape.
    That's only one application of "dur". It would be the correct syntax if one is describing sitting on a ball or globe.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, these verses show two men in bed and says it was night. And then it tells of two women who are grinding, and two men who are in the field. In Matthew it gives a similar account but does not mention the men in bed.

Matt 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
    41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Now it's possible these women could be at the mill grinding, and these men could be in the field working at night, but not very likely.

And the next verse is revealing (at least to me).

Matt 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

So, here the Lord tells us to watch always, for we do not know what hour he will come, whether it be day or night.

I firmly believe the passage in Luke shows that some men will be in bed at night, and at the very same moment other men will be out in the field working during the day. But that is my opinion.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The word "chug" means round. It can refer to any circular object, including a sphere.

The Greek word Kamaron, demands a three dimensional curvature. Therefore a sphere is simply the only possibility.

Not so. A first century Hebrew, reading this, would have understood that God is sitting on a mound, pile or heap, since this word does not denote "circular" necessarily. Chug was the only possible word to use, to demand a modern understanding of a round earth.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The verse is not a prediction, it's an analogy. The verse isn't an attempt to speak to anything in regards to science. The verse is saying that no one will know the day or the hour, and that no one can be prepared.
    That's like accusing the person who claims the earth revolves around the sun of "trying to portray the Bible is scientifically inaccurate", since the bible describes the sung going around the earth. There is no attempt by these passages to address scientific principles, so I can't be accused of doing so.

#85 Johnv, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

And it is also saying that when Jesus comes, it will be night for one person, and day for the other. It's purpose is not to teach science, but the Bible MUST be scientifically accurate when it touches upon scientific subjects. Otherwise, it is inaccurate, and cannot be trusted.

They are not specifically adressing them, but they are certainly making indirect assertions.

Again, WHY are you attacking this so vehemently? What is your agenda? You should say "Wow, the Bible is accurate when it touches upon scientific subjects: that means I can trust it completely!" rather than trying to attack what it is saying.

I simply cannot fathom WHY you would do such a thing. What is your purpose?

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, that is perspective. From our point of view the sun, moon, and stars are going around the earth.

[​IMG]

And who's to say it isn't? The Geocentric model has never been disproven.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/retrograde/aristotle.html

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's reading way too much into the verse.
    True, but what you're doing is assuming that every time scripture draws a visual picture, then it is touching upon science. What you're doing is setting up a circular reasoning argument: scientific descriptions in scripture are always right, because scripture touches on science, and scripture is never wrong, therefore scientific descriptions in scripture are always right.

The problem with that argument is that the verses in question aren't touching on science, they're simply visual descriptors, which are by no means an attempt by the author to refer to science. If scripture describes something that isn't consistent with science, and the author had no intention of addressing a scientific issue, it is by no means an attack of the authority or accuracy of scripture.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Aha! So it's about perspective. You are 100% correct. Scripture often makes descriptions based on perspective. It's a common visual descriptor.

When scripture referrs to the sun rising and setting, it's from the viewpoint of the observer, and not an attempt to claim the sun revolves around the earth. When scripture says Joshua made the sun stand still, it's from the viewpoint of the observer, and not an attempt to claim the earth physicall stopped rotating (or, in a geocentric model, that the sun stopped revolving aroung the earth). Likewise, when a person in scripture referrs to sitting upon a flat disc of the earth, it's from the viewpoint of the observer, and not an attempt to claim the earth is flat.

Just because the passages above refer to a flat earth or geocentric earth don't mean scripture is flawed.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Johnv

Why is it so difficult for you to believe that Jesus knew exactly what he was saying, that when he comes it will be night for some people, and day for others? That is what he is telling us, and it shows the scriptures understood the earth was a sphere where it is always day somewhere, and on the other side it is night.

You say the scriptures are scientifically correct, but you object to scripture that shows this. Why??

#90 Winman, Oct 19, 2009
  11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That's not reading anything into the verse: that is just what it says!

Scripture is making a statement of fact. To say that one person is lying in bed at night, while the other is out working the fields at noonday, is a statement of fact. That statement of fact, in the first century, would have seemed silly. Now, we know that such a statement is scientifically accurate.

Again, I do not understand why you would have a problem with this. So the Bible is scientifically accurate: why is this a problem for you?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I do no such thing. I'm saying that the verses being referred to aren't addressing the topic of scientific accuracy.
    The problem isn't with me, it's with you.

You're requiring scripture to be scientifically accurate everywhere such a topic is percieved, or else you can't accept scripture as being truth. OTOH, discern between where scripture intends to address science and where no attempt was intended by the author, and accept scripture as 100% truth. Your view adds to scripture, mine does not.

#92 Johnv, Oct 19, 2009
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How could that have been statement of fact when both would have been in the same time zone?

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, if you don't believe "circle of the earth" in Isaiah 40 ist referring to science necessarily, you do have to admit that Jesus speaking of it being day and night at the same time on earth does.

Isn't that so?

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The scripture does not say that. It says God sits on the circle/curve of the earth, or sphere. Why can't you just say "Ah, I see what you are saying. Maybe I'm wrong. That would be a great!"???

Also, scripture does NOT always speak from the perspective of man. For instance, Genesis 1 is from God's perspective. I also think much of Isaiah and Job is clearly from God's perspective.

The scripture refers to neither of those things. The Bible's limited description of the Earth, matches what we know from science today perfectly. The Earth is Round, God "hung the earth" "upon nothing", etc.

Again, this should be something exciting: why is this such a problem for you? What is your agenda?

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Jesus is referring to His return: a world wide event.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then you believe in geocentrism?
    Jesus is referring to no person being able to ready themselves for the Coming. That's all Jesus is trying to say here.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

The scriptures say no such thing, in fact Jesus said we do not know the hour when he would come.

Matt 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

It is daytime right now here in the U.S. and men are working in the field. But on the opposite side of the earth from us it is night and most men are in bed asleep. And this is what Jesus was saying. He did not say they were in the same geographic area. In fact, he said his angels would gather the elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. So in fact he showed he was speaking of the whole earth and not a single geographical area.

Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So you believe that Jesus was saying that scientifically, there are only four winds, and that if anyonle shows there are more than four, them must be wrong, because otherwise Jesus dould be lying? Or is "four winds" a visual descriptor?

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No. Nowhere in scripture does it even allude to geocentrism.

Actually, he is describing end time events, and his second coming. He is using a real scenario, therefore that scenario must be scientifically accurate.

It is.