1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Believing in Christ and Calling Upon the Name of the Lord

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Sep 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alan do you not have this verse in your bible?
    Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvationhaving also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
    or this one
    Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Why do you not believe that God actually wants all people to be saved? He says He does.
    1Ti 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
    1Ti 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Do you think God is telling a lie here?

Joh 12:32 "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

If the fist part of the sentence is true, which it is, then the second part is true also or perhaps you think Christ was being disingenuous.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin still does not understand context but then he does not understand many things about the bible it would seem.

3. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I have found on BB is that calvinist really are determined. They can not help having the view they hold as it has been determined that they do so. So we really should continue to reach out to them in love so they may at some point come to see the truth of scripture rather than the false view they hold at the present time.

4. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need for the lost soul to concern themselves with, "How God Saves a Soul",
    until they are lost.

The Eternal Moral Law of God must CONVICT the lost soul that they are,
    as Ephesians and elsewhere say, "dead".

2:1 "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world,
    according to the prince of the power of the air,
    the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh,
    fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath,
    even as others."

To say that, "the lost sinner is dead, but that doesn't mean he can't bring himself up out of the ashes of death, into Partaking of The Divine Nature in Everlasting Life, IF HE WANTS TO", would be an Eternally Fatal False Philosophy of the flesh and included in,

"
    Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world,
    according to the prince of the power of the air,
    the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh,
    fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath,
    even as others."

5. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need for the lost soul to concern themselves with, "How God Saves a Soul",
    until they are lost.

The Eternal Moral Law of God must CONVICT the lost soul that they are,
    as Ephesians and elsewhere say, "dead".

2:1 "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Referring to them having been saved through the faith. [2:5] [2:8] [Jude 1:3]

[FYI the _you hath he quickened_ is from that word in verse 5, the subject being, having been saved.]

#146 37818, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just another example of your total misunderstanding of scripture. You are following your calvinism rather than the bible.

9. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are these that same ones that hear and believe in Eph 1:13. Seems they do quite well for dead people.

10. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    King James Bible
    "And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth,
    and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually".

Genesis 6:5

11. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    "..hath He Quickened..." Ephesians 2:1a
    ..."who were dead in trespasses and sins;" Ephesians 2:1b

King James Bible
    In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
    in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

These were made Alive from the dead; in the context of Ephesians 2 Teaches.

They were Given Repentance and Faith (trusted) when they heard the Word of God
    and The Holy Spirit Gave them the Ability to Turn or Burn.

#151 Alan Gross, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  12. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    This .PDF has 50 or 60 Passages, in Part 1,
    which "some believe appear to teach Universal Atonement,"
    however, when they are correctly divided, do not.

https://www.grace-ebooks.com/library/John Gill/JG_Cause of God and Truth The.pdf

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know what hyperbole is don't you?

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alan you putting the cart before the horse. The ones that heard and believed were the ones that were at one time spiritually dead but now are alive because of their faith.

15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may want to read and trust Gill but I will spend my time reading the bible. It's a best seller and has a real good story line. You should read.
    What I have found is that many of the calvinists on BB tend to spend way to much time reading non biblical books about the bible rather than the bible it self. You listen to people tell you what the bible says rather than spending the time digging out the gold yourself.

16. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair wrote:
    The ones that heard and believed were the ones that were at one time spiritually dead but now are alive because of their faith.

Yet God wrote:

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    ~ Ephesians 2:4-7

Now, some want to ignore the above statement by God and only look at the next statement.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
    ~ Ephesians 2:8-9

Silverhair promotes human action, "because of their faith," while God says "this is not your own doing."

It is obvious that Silverhair is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you seem to think I have a problem with the scripture you posted, I do not. We are saved by the grace of God because we believe just as we are told.
    Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Salvation is the gift of God. Why would you think I do not believe that? You, Austin, are mistaken when you say faith is the gift.

Rom_6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Eph_2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

Austin I understand you really struggle with this as it does not fit your theology. You need to remember that the bible is the authority not calvinism.

Act 16:30 and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
    Act 16:31 They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Eph 3:6 to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,

Php 3:9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

The God determined requirement for salvation is faith in His son. If one believes they will be saved if they do not they will be lost. We get that from a really good source, Christ Jesus.
    Joh 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Your stumbling block is you think faith is a work but the bible says it is not. Why do you still deny scripture in this matter.
    Gal 3:2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
    Rom 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
    Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
    Gal 2:16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.
    Rom 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,
    Rom 3:28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Austin you need to get past that mental block that you have erected so that you can see the truths of scripture.

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not lying, sir.
    Please look at it again...to me, it says "sealed", not "born again".

Seal: "conclude, establish, or secure (something) definitively, excluding the possibility of reversal or loss."
    The way I read it, this says "saved", not "born again".
    This says "believes" and "confession is made unto salvation", does it not?
    Regrettably, I do not see where it says "born again".
    I'm not ignoring anything.
    I'm believing what they say.

#158 Dave G, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I see nothing here about being born again.
    I agree...I clearly see, from the passage, that those who believe are indeed born again.
    But what I also notice is that there is nothing in John 3 that tells anyone how to be born again, nor do I find anywhere else in the Scriptures where the Lord is describing the process by which a person can cause Him to do this.

Question:
    When you read these passages, do you conclude that believing on Christ is how a person is born again?

I do not.
    With respect, I think you are reading into the passages what is not there...that a person is born again by believing on Christ...
    But I still do not see, in any of the passages that you've listed, the Lord telling anyone what it takes to bring about the new birth....
    Only what people who believe on Christ either have, or will do.

I'm sorry, but it seems we will have to agree to disagree.
    I wish you well, sir, and good evening to you.

#159 Dave G, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave for someone that claims to believe the bible you do a real good job of not trusting what it says.Dave perhaps you can explain what the difference is between one being saved and one being born again. Try to do it from a biblical perspective not from your calvinist one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.