1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Bible Translation/Edition in other languages?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by AresMan, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the best Bible translation, in your opinion, in other languages with which you are familiar, say Spanish?

Examples:
    1602 Reina-Valera
    1858 Reina-Valera
    1862 Reina-Valera
    1865 Reina-Valera (arguably closest to KJV text)
    1909 Reina-Valera
    1960 Reina-Valera (most common in use today)
    1995 Reina-Valera
    Nueva Versión Internacional
    La Biblia de las Américas

Choice most likely based on text preference/readability/popularity

2. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

¡Me gusta ambos la SRV 1960 y LBLA!

Spanish is a second language for me. I try to read scripture in Spanish to practice Spanish more than for indepth study of scripture. I have found some things clearer in the LBLA because of diferences in Latin American Spanish and the European Spanish of Spain (vosotros, etc.) I learned my Spanish in the U.S. and México.

But the SRV is most common. Also I am a Giddeon and we distribute the SRV 1960, So I have a little pocket testement SRV that I use alot.

The only complete book that I have read through in Spanish is el Santo Evangelio Según San Juan. it was in the SRV.

I have only memorised about three passages in Spanish and I've used the SRV to do it.
    Juan. 1:1-5 , Salmos 23:1 y 118:24

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Russian, the standard is the Synodical Version of 186x. I see a couple of problems with it though. First, it is the product of the Russian Orthodox Church. It is the equivalent of the Douay-Rheims version in English. Like the Douay, it reflects ROC doctrine. Secondly, it is to the best of my knowledge not a new translation from the original languages. Rather, it is an update of the Old Church Slavonic Version.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Nederlandse Staatenbijbel is an oldie, but a goodie, in Holland.

5. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Squire,
    with as many people there are who speak russian, is that the best choice you have? Surely not! What are the alternatives, and why are they not popular? Or are there any?

6. mioque

mioque New Member

It depends on your definition of best.
    When it comes to Dutch Bibles.
    For general use by normal people, as opposed to close study by experts the NBV is probably best.

If you're one of those childish types who likes to annoy the Englishspeaking Textus Receptus only crowd nothing beats the Staten Bijbel Johnv mentioned earlier.
    The SB was truly translated from the real original TR, instead of using a Greek text that is almost but not quite that.

7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have noticed Modern Greek Version and Orthodox Coptic Bible are based on TR

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

In Argentina most Christians use the RV 1960. LBLA is a good translation I have been told.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best Bible in Japanese by far for conservatives is the "Shinkaiyaku" of 1970, done from Nestle's Greek text by NASV principles. There are no TR-based translations in print, and the couple there have been in the past were in extremely difficult classical Japanese (I have both). Think Chaucer here!

In Chinese, the standard Bible is the Union Bible (He He Ben) of 1919. It is a pretty literal translation from a modern critical text, probably Nestle's, and has just been revised--revision scheduled to be done in Nov. of last year. The TR-based translation of Morrison's from the early 19th century is very difficult for modern Chinese to read.

10. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

In Spanish, the La Biblia de las Américas.

[​IMG]

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read of alternatives but none have any real audience. One reason is there is a dearth of original language training among the Brethren.

Another is the lack of a market. Or rather for many years, the problem was finding a Bible, NT or Scripture portion in the first place. Remember, Bibles were being smuggled into the former USSR or being printed on clandestine presses.

Additionally, there is a perception problem. The ROC is perceived (and encourages the perception) as the authentic source of Christianity in Russia. Evangelical Christianity is labeled as a Western import. Its purpose is to undermine and subvert Russian culture and people. So, the RST is seen as authoritative. Another version would be seen as another attempt by the West to subvert Russia. (The forgoing paragraph is by necessity written in very, very broad terms.)

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good information, Squire. I sincerely hope this thread will cause readers to lift up their eyes and look at the harvest. America is so blessed spiritually--maybe I should say "spiritually obese"--that many Americans forget about the world that needs Christ.

Do any of you scholars or aspiring scholars who are good in the Greek and Hebrew want to take up the burden to translate a new Russian Bible?

13. mioque

mioque New Member

John of Japan
    I suspect that at this time a new Russian Bible translation can only succeed in Russia if it is translated by native Russians.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh. You're probably right, mioque. But hopefully they will accept foreign help.

Baptist Mid Missions has an organization called "Bibles International" through which scholars go to mission fields to provide scholarly consultatants for translations. Check it out at http://www.bmm.org/BMM/WhereWeServe/Bibletranslation.htm
    [​IMG]

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Excellent thread.

This is what this BV/T forum should be. Thank you.

I read somewhere that so many people speak English that the translation issue is overrated, but peoples need the word of God in their language.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean that of Erasmus, who started the whole thing, or Stephanus, who first used the term? :confused:

17. mioque

mioque New Member

I mean Elzevier, the printers who were the first to make an edition of the Greek NT that was described in the introduction as the TR.
    That was years after the KJB had been translated.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. I was thinking that was Stephanus. I learned something. Thanks! [​IMG]

19. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A perception problem still remains. It would still have to fight the preception it was a piece of anti-Russian propaganda. Mind you, I am talking about the preceptions of your average Ivan and Svetlana. And the perception would remain even if the work was done by ethnic Russians in Russia. It never pays to underestimate Russian paranoia.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A perception problem still remains. It would still have to fight the preception it was a piece of anti-Russian propaganda. Mind you, I am talking about the preceptions of your average Ivan and Svetlana. And the perception would remain even if the work was done by ethnic Russians in Russia. It never pays to underestimate Russian paranoia. </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is an interesting point. The truth is that once a translation is enshrined in any language it is hard to dethrone. When the first Japanese colloquial Bible came out in the 1950's it was a vast improvement over the Classical Bible, but there was opposition. To this day there are a few "Classical Bible Only" types in Japan! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.