1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best book besides the Bible of 2015

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Feb 16, 2015.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I forgot one. I noticed you have a couple of books by Lutzer.

His book "How you can be sure you'll spend eternity with God" is phenomenal.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah I have that one as well and its a good one. Yes I disagree with some of his theology (not interested in that debate anymore) but his book is still good. He and Charles Stanley do make the gospel more simple than the book I am reading The Gospel According to Jesus to Lutzers advantage.

What other Lutzer books do you have? I have many of his and my last one I read was on the New Age movement. In fact many around here made fun of what I learned from that book about the dangers of D&D and such which Lutzer emphasized in the book.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I recommend for all Martyn Lloyd-Jones 3 volume set: God the Father, God the Son; God the Holy Spirit; The Church and Last Things.

Presently it is available only in a single volume with paper backs!

Then there is a revised version of By His Grace And For His Glory by Baptist Historian Thomas J. Nettles available in hardback.

The first book on Theology by a Southern Baptist Manual of Theology by J. L. Dagg is available in hardback I believe.

The easiest read of all is the set by Lloyd-Jones, in my opinion!

If you want a good commentary on Revelations the one by Philip Edgcumbe Hughes is excellent. Reads almost like a devotional.

All the above are old but so am I! Means the Grrreeat Tribulation don't scare me, but then it never did. Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, promised us:

John 16:33. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Christians in this country have been blessed and spared much in the way of tribulation. I wonder how the Christians in this country would fare if they had to face beheading as the 21 Coptic Christians did at the hands of the followers of a false god!

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have any of his books anymore. I gave almost all my books away last year to BB brothers, because they were in my basement getting mold on them :(

After sending off all the ones specifically requested, I set aside two more to save for another brother who is out of the states.

Then i met Thisnumbersdisconnected (remember him?) and loaded the remaining books into his pickup truck so he could put them in the library at his church

The only ones i intentionally kept for myself were Greek reference works. I had forgotten one book i had in my bedroom - Deepening your Conversation with God by Ben Patterson. I've gotta tell you, that's an awesome book, too.

But i also couldn't find the book by Dillow. I couldn't remember loaning it to anyone, but it was nowhere to be found. Turns out, I had packed it into a "miscellaneous" box when we moved. :)

But I did have Lutzer's books:
    Your Eternal Reward
    You can Trust the Bible

Seems I might have had a couple more by him, but I can't recall

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would read either John Stott or N. T. Wright because I would venture a guess that you have read neither of them. Not Wright's best work, but important as far as eschatology goes. And Stott's book that you have is a standard. After that, Sproul's book on holiness is a great one.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you didn't ask but I'll offer my advice regarding your stack of books.

The pictures a bit fuzzy and I can't read all the titlies but I can see enough

I think I'd start with the basics.
    'Jesus Christ our Lord' by John Walvoord
    And if that's his book on 'The Holy Spirit', I'd suggest reading that next.
    Conservative, you'll recognise his dispensationalist theology.

Balance that with Sproul's, 'Everyones a Theologian' from a Reformed perspective, ...and Stott's worthwhile

Then of course, Free Grace Soteriology - it's a gem! :smilewinkgrin:

I'd leave Wright's books somewhere after those.

The 'Four Views of Revelation' looks good but end-times stuff doesn't really float my boat. Save it for after you read and intergrate the others books. Personally few of the other end-times books interest me.

I generally use commentaries as reference after the first read-through. Save them for when you study a particular book.

Not a fan of Mac.

Rob

#28 Deacon, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you I think I will do this after I get through my present stack of books I am reading. Just finished Hell on Trial however.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have taken the shot with my camera over my iPhone :) Yes I want to read those books as well.

10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious how you read a book, John.

One time, straight thru from beginning to end?

Multiple times cover to cover?

Multiple times thru one chapter before moving on to the next?

Slow and methodical, or read it as quick as possible?

Are you more concerned with getting it done and getting a few nuggets, or understanding the whole work as intricately as possible?

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

One time cover to cover usually and speed depends on the book. If interesting then slow, if boring then fast.

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Someone on this BB recommended the book Kingdom Come by Sam Storms. I got the book from Christianbook.com for $20 plus shipping. The first chapter alone is worth the price!

13. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the part I've read! Good stuff!!!

14. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These may not be books of 2015 but I would go with John Piper's "Desiring God" and Francis Chan's "Crazy Love".

15. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fran Chan's Crazy Love from "robust" theologian... hmmmm :laugh:

16. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ?? ok...it's actually a good read. It's a break from religiously heady books to one that is hearty.

Me being a seminary grad with such a robust understanding of theology, it's a breath of fresh air.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I'll give you [​IMG] for it...

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats the book about?

19. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mneh

To each his own I guess. Still think your moniker is comically at odds w/ a Fran Chan book. But hey, I have no right to judge.