1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Book to Defend the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by larryjf, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Two books I haven't seen mentioned are:

"Final Authority" by William Grady

and

"Why We Need an Every Word Bible" by Jack Hyles

It has been a long time since I read the first one, but I believe it would fit your purposes quite well, though it is quite lengthy.

Hyles' book is shorter, and is not as much about Onlyism as most of you would probably assume. :saint: But Im not sure that it fits your purposes quite as well as Grady's.

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

larryjf asked:

rather which of the following is the best for honestly defending the KJV...

None of the above. They don't defend the KJV, they defend a false idea about the KJV. Instead, spend your money on some good, reliable books about the history of the Bible and textual criticism.

3. David J

David J New Member

Facts are facts

I'm just speaking the truth. How is the truth attacking the KJV?

You can stick your bald head in the sand but it does not change the fact that KJV needs an update. I can stick my balding head in the sand along side you and we can discuss our personal preferences about the KJV and NASB and neither one of us can prove the other wrong because it's our preference and opinions as to why we like our bibles. :laugh:

If you pointed out a verse in the KJV that is better than the NASB I don't see that as attacking the NASB. If I pointed to a verse the NASB that is better rendered than the KJV it is not an attack on the KJV. Facts are facts and the fact is nobody is attacking the KJV. I see many people attacking myths about the KJV and I use the 1611 KJV to attack many of this myths about the KJV. I also see many myth makers attacking the NASB calling my bible perverted and/or satanic. The NASB like the KJV stands on it's own merit and it does not need a book to defend it. Simply reading these bibles is the best defense against any myths and false attacks. Pointing out a translational error or weak verses is not an attack.

The KJV translators said the following:

Yet for all that it cannot be dissembled...[that] it hath pleased God in his diuine prouidence, heere and there, to scatter wordes and sentences of that difficultie and doubtfulnesse, not in doctrinal points that concerne saluation (for in such it hath beene vouched that the Scriptures are plaine) but in matters of lesse moment, that fearfulnesse would better beseeme vs than confidence. . .and to resolue upon modestie....There be many words in Scripture, which be neuer found there but once. ..there be many rare names of certaine birds, beastes and precious stones, &c. concerning which the Hebrews themselves are so divided among themselves...so to determine of such things as the Spirit of God hath left (euen in thejudgement of the iudicious) questionable, can be no lesse than presumption. Therefore as S. Augustine saith, that varietie of Translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures; so diuersitie of signification and sense in the margine, where the text is not so cleare, must needes doe good, yea, is necessary, as we are perswaded....They that are wise, had rather haue their judgements at libertie in differences of readings, then to be captiuated to one, when it may be the other.”

Please show me where the KJV is being attacked.

If I said the NASB has an error or verses that can be better rendered is that an attack on the NASB?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We are on page five. The topic is books that defend the KJV.

If it continues to go off track it will be closed in accordance with our five page rule.

5. kubel

kubel New Member

I don't think the KJV needs any defending. Let it speak for itself. It is, in my opinion, the best version out there for me. Some may disagree, but I don't think anyone will flame me for my version of preference.

Let me add in response to one of the above posts, I'm a KJVP, so I use the KJV exclusively by preference- and I have NEVER been attacked or belittled by anyone on this board EXCEPT by those that support KJVO. The problems come when people try pushing ascriptural beliefs, ignore facts, or attack other translations. I've never done that, so I've never had any problems here. Thanks BB!

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Hey Larry,

I've been doing a bit of digging. I know you mentioned three books in your original post, but in my digging I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0970032803/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/102-7694388-1778529?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It's called Which Version is the Bible? Looking at the exerpt, it looked like it too might work for your needs and it's $8.

Interesting stuff out there when you start looking for defense. Weeding through the opinions is difficult. I looked back through the posts and didn't see this one. Of course I seriously could have missed it with all that's been said :tongue3:

7. larryjf

larryjf New Member

mcdirector,

Thanks for finding that.

Thanks also to bapmom, logos1560, and 4His_Glory for the books you mentioned.

8. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

That's what I don't get. Because I consider other versions as the Word of God ... how does that affect my regard for the KJV? I'm very cautious with Bible versions as we all should be. IMHO, there are close to a dozen English versions that I hold in high regard, and maybe a dozen or more that I find useful from time to time. That's out of roughly 114 English Bible Versions.

Yet I consider the KJV, NASB, & ESV on a plateau by themselves as the very best English translations. That's based on nothing more than my personal experience. The KJV? I LOVE the KJV, it is my favorite version, and I don't know how it's possible to view and hold the KJV in higher regard than I already do - the same regard, I might add, that I had for it years ago when I thought it was the only trustworthy English translation.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Defending the KJV

The OP starts out with the assumption that the KJV is being attacked. I have yet to see anyone on this board attack the KJV, so apparntly there is no need to defend what is not being attacked. Let the KJV stand for itself. It has stood the test of time for nearly 400 years. 'Nuff said.

10. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Keith M,

There is no assumption being made in my post that the KJV is being attacked. As i stated elsewhere in the thread i am searching for a textbook. I can't very well have a class where the only lesson is "there's no reason to read anything or take any tests, just let the KJV stand by itself."

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Books that defend the KJV by portraying the KJV accurately as it actually is, [unneeded inflammatory remarks snipped]:
    • The English Bible, by F. F. Bruce: a history of the English Bible from the Anglo Saxons onward, culminating in the King James Version.
    • In the Beginning, by Alister McGrath: a fascinating history of the literary, religious, and political background of the KJV's translation
    • The King James Bible Translators, by Olga S. Opfell: an interesting book about the fifty-odd men and six companies who translated the Bible
    • The King James Only Controversy, by James R. White: defending the King James Bible from its so-called "defenders"
    • One Bible Only?, edited by Beacham and Bauder: like the above, only this collection of essays is written from a distinctly Baptist fundamentalist perspective.

#51 Ransom, Jun 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2006
  12. David J

David J New Member

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Suppose, your wife does not need defending. If a man caught her and hurt her, will you refuse to defend her?

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I highly recommend it. :thumbs:

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

That is correct. :thumbs:

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Suppose, if your wife does not need defending, will you allow a man to hurt her? It has stood the test of time as your faithful to her. If you are faithful to her, and you reject defending her and allow a man to take her life, will you lose her?

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Exactly -- You admitted to say that.
    I disagree with him. I read his book and marked his wrong comments in that book. Also he is a Calvinist.

19. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Why should the Word of God Be defended with a book?

20. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard from several folks that "Touch not the unclean thing" Is a very good book relating to the KJV. I even went out and purchased it, but still have not had a chance to read it yet. I hope my life eventually slows down as I have so many good books I have yet to read. Has anyone else heard or read of this book?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.