1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bethany Divinity College and Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Sportster, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I would agree with that. Higher Criticism is no friend to biblical orthodoxy. What are we left with when we rationalize the miracles, make Jesus a purely historical figure, and call the Bible "An important book..." :confused:

I have some personal experience with graduates of such fine institutions as Chicago Theological Seminary where they teach that Christ saves for Christians, all "Faith Traditions" are human inventions, and that "I am not saying that Jesus was not born of a virgin, I'm just saying that it is not an important part of the story..." -that is a quote from a retired Pastor and CTS alumni I know...

#161 PilgrimPastor, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  2. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Depends on which biblical perspective you're referring to.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't think that is a fair statement. Not all scholars, or students, who study criticism rationalize the Bible away. I think of men like Craig Blomberg of Denver Seminary, Darrel Bock of Dallas Seminary, and Gary Habermas of Liberty Seminary. Sure there are some scholars, and students, who use criticism for the purpose of "tearing down the Bible" but there are many who don't. Sadly those who do use this kind of scholarship for that purpose get most of the attention (CNN, Time, etc). However there are many scholars who do not buy into the distortions of the Jesus Seminar.

I can say that in studying these issues my faith in the Word of God has only increased. Why? Because I see that our faith in God's Word is based on solid historical and textual grounds.

4. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I appreciate that. My comment was a rather sweeping generalization I'll admit. Habermas was my Apologetics and Philosophy professor for undergrad work in Religion at Liberty. I appreciate him very much.

What I am speaking to is probably better termed "Liberal Higher Dismantling" than higher criticism. I'm referring specifically to the dribble coming out of schools like Chicago Theological Seminary. I know a woman who attends and is quite at home being a professed Muslim/Christian. Not sure how that is reconciled... but hey... when you place reason above Scripture anything goes right? :BangHead:

I know some folks who are biblical and use higher critical methods. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbs:

5. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Apology

Thanks to a good friend of mine pointing out only Baptists are to post here, I offer my apologies for posting. I did not see the "Baptists only" requirement until today.

I won't post again. I'm sorry.

6. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

You know, I am not a Baptist either... even though I went to a Baptist Seminary... guess sooner or later somebody will point that out to me too... maybe I will stop posting too... :(

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this board should be changed to "Christian Education". After all many of the schools discussed on this board are not baptist. Also with it being restricted to baptist we end up covering the same ground over and over again. Just my two cents worth. I thought Jimmy and Pilgrim were a new breath of air to this forum.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Is there a way we could formally request this?

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I agree, Martin. I believe there is at least one other forum in this board that is open to non-Baptists. Why not this one too? I know Jimmy from another board. He would be a welcome addition here.

Tom

10. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Hey Sporster

Hey Brother. I found out today from a Brother that goes to the Baptist college in Graceville,Fl. that Bethany IS NOT acredited in any way shape or fashion.
    My personal opinion, I would not put money toward a college that I could not transfer or use anywhere else.

11. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I won't be going there. Not because of the allegations that it is a degree mill; but when I spoke to one of their deans today, he sounded rather rude when he asked me questions. I wanted to know if I needed undergrad coursework to get into a graduate level program. Instead of giving a yes or no answer, he asked me how long I've been working in the church. I told him I was saved 24 years ago. He shot back, again in a rude tone, by asking me how long I'd been working in the church. I told him what I did; and after a while I asked him again about needing undergrad courses to get ready for master's studies. He shot back in another unfriendly, loud tone that with all the work I've done at my church that I don't need to go back and pick up undergrad credits. An attitude like that is enough to turn me off from any seminary. :tear: :mad: :BangHead: :tonofbricks:

12. wPeters

wPeters New Member

That's the problem with unaccredited christian institution and worst still if it offers totally free tuition free - they will treat you like [vulgarity removed] . That is from several of my past experiences.

[NOTE: POSTER IS PUBLICALLY WARNED THAT CRUDE, VULGAR SCATALOGICAL LANGUAGE IS NOT TOLERATED]

#172 wPeters, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.