1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BGCT and NAMB split

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by go2church, May 27, 2004.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

I don't think this is anything to be surprised about, really.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No surprise; there were only five left. I wonder how many there were at the peak?

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The SBC should have disassociated from that other group a long time ago.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC doesn't want state conventions to stop using NAMB funds, that is one of the ways they have a measure of control over state conventions, especially the smaller state conventions! Without the NAMB money at LEAST half of the state staff of the New Mexico (where I moved from) convention would be working for free! If you don't do it the way Nashville, Richmond or wherever wants you don't get the money, it is that simple. I have sat in meetings where this was made clear to everyone involved to those interested in planting churches or funding associational work.

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're Absolutely Right.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

And rightly so...would you give money for something you didn't agree with? Or would you make an investment in an enterprise that goes against clearly proven models?

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the point that go2Church and I were trying to make is that not all Denominational Programs fit all places nor do all Denominational workers know what is best for all places in the World.

Those on the ground in the thick of the battle have a much better idea sometimes what the real needs are than do people in Nashville, Atlanta or Richmond.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is exactly what I was making reference to. We were never in disagreement about needing to establish strong churches, we did disagree HOW that would be best done in our area. However, they had a "model" and wouldn't budge. This worked in Kansas it has to work in New Mexico.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wish that some of those leaders in the SBC who know everything, would take a step outside of the south to do some work in California so then they could earn their bragging rights. The problem would be that they would be severely humbled because they would learn their way of doing things doesn't work much anywhere else.

11. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

The SBC may have its problems but I dont think we should bang it. It would do some good if they would come north and work some though. In my hometown of Pickens S.C., not a very big town 96% go to church once a week. of those 76% of those are SBC. 2 churches (of to many to count) Pickens First Bap. has 1,100 and East Pickens has 1,300. but in Kalispel our biggest SBC (and we only have 3) is 300 members if they would work with the Northern churches some the Denomination would dominate all of the country.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where I live about ten percent if that go to church. Of those who are SBC makes up about one percent of the church attenders. Two of their churches are soon to shut down. Believe it or not the Korean SBC church is doing better than most of the other SBC churches and we have very few Koreans in the area. But the SBC church in the town does not want the Korean church to meet in their building. So the Korean church meets in the Nazarene Church.

Two of the other SBC churches are less than 30 when twenty years ago they were over 140 in attendance.

13. MDavidM

MDavidM New Member

Ever since the BGCT began to expand beyond Texas, their affiliation with the NAMB has become a conflict of interest. Why would they want to help the SBC expand nationally if they themselves are expanding nationally and are already at odds with the SBC? The BGCT has it's own agenda, and will split from the SBC entirely at some point.

This is part of the motivation behind Jack Graham's proposal to investigate changing the name of the convention. Our church has been very active in Boston with a church plant there, and while modifying the manner in which we work has proven effective, the SBC name is a hinderance.

14. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I dont agree with changing the name. If Southern offends people ???. But most SBC dont put that on there name. For instance Pickens First Baptist Church no mention of Southern there and once your in a great church you shouldnt want to leave just cause it says Southern on it.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah they should change the name....take out baptist!

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most people today do not care what the name on the door is. They will go where God is at work and people are coming to Christ. Most people never ask where I go to church when I share the gospel with them.

Do you really think that if SBC meant something good to people they would want to change the name? It's not about the name. Its about doing God's work. When the leaders will begin to disciple others they will see men and women who are trained to lead others.