1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does scripture directly support any of today’s most popular doctrines?

The 7 year tribulation?

The pre-trib rapture?

The restored Roman Empire?

The rebuilt Temple?

The return to animal sacrifices?

Russia marching on Israel?

A Gap between Daniel’s 69th and 70th weeks?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible Scavenger Hunt sounds vaguely familiar. Perhaps Christian Forums has an answer:Whistling;)

#2 Mikey, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • [Mat 24:21, 29 NASB] 21 "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. ... 29 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
    • [Mar 13:19, 24 NASB] 19 "For those days will be a [time of] tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will. ... 24 "But in those days, after that tribulation, THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT,
    • [Rev 7:14 NASB] 14 I said to him, "My lord, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    I sort of think that scripture is pretty clear that there is a great tribulation. Do you have any scripture in mind to suggest that it is some length other than 7 years?

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All but the Darby thing!

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is the 7 years? And doesn't Matthew speak of the great tribulation of 70AD in which Christians fled Jerusalem. And then the end of the world where the power of the heavens are shaken?

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I put it up on a couple of other forums trying to get solid scriptural support for these doctrines. Nothing so far.

7. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get it, nothing wrong with it. I thought it was funny that it was copy and pasted exactly :)

8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use my skinny picture for my icon snap on this forum, and my fat picture on the other forums, in case you are wondering. Also I go by 1689Dave or Dave L. elsewhere.

9. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answering a question with the exact same question is bad form.
    What evidence is there that AD 70 was the Great Tribulation?
    Was that worse than the Nazi Holocaust? Worse than the Black Death? Worse than the first destruction of Jerusalem? So bad that if God had not shortened the days no one would have survived?

This is YOUR claim, not mine ... so it is yours to present evidence for.

• 29 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
    You and I must have different definitions of the word "immediately".

10. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does scripture directly support any of yesterday’s most popular doctrines?

Amillennialism?

Isn't the nature of Daniel and Revelation such that clear proof of meaning is lacking and interpretation of prophetic visions is required? That is why I avoid eschatology discussions based on either Daniel or Revelation. I am content to allow God to just surprise me with the details and trust to the Gospels for what I absolutely need to know.

A.T.Pollard's Eschatology:

• There will be trouble.
    • Jesus will return.
    • Endure until the end.
    • Focus on the TWO Greatest Commandments in the mean time.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes! If you cannot find a millennium.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is the 7 year tribulation in scripture?

13. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Rev 20:2, 4, 6 NASB] 2 And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; ... 4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I [saw] the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. ... 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

... but 1000 years is a Millennium and it is easy to find. Understanding what it means is harder.

So by YOUR criteria, amillenialism is refuted by Revelation Chapter 20. (That was easier than I expected.)

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1000 years in Revelation 20 are not the Kingdom. They are the binding of Satan. When they end Satan is loosed. Satan attacks the kingdom when the 1000 years end.

15. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already showed you where the Tribulation is in scripture ... reread post #3.

So your only complaint is the claim that it is exactly 7 years.
    Got it.

Sorry, I can't help with that. I think I heard that it has something to do with the 70th Week in Daniel, but I don't try to figure out Daniel or Revelation eschatology symbolism.

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are different tribulations in scripture and none of them call for 7 years.

17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist

• 4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I [saw] the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
    • 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.
    It sure looks like a "millennial kingdom" to me, what with all of the talk about reigning with Christ for a thousand years and all.
    I await your "proper" exegesis to enlighten me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It cannot be a millennial kingdom. Satan attacks the kingdom when loosed. John says when the 1000 years are finished, Satan is loosed. This means the 1000 years represent Satan's binding and nothing more. Let's be careful not to add to John's words.

• Like Like x 1
  19. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    So just how long is THIS tribulation?

• [Mat 24:21, 29 NASB] 21 "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. ... 29 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
    • [Mar 13:19, 24 NASB] 19 "For those days will be a [time of] tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will. ... 24 "But in those days, after that tribulation, THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT,
    • [Rev 7:14 NASB] 14 I said to him, "My lord, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    ... which is IMMEDIATELY followed by "THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken".

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The great tribulation happened in 70 AD. When Jesus returns, they will be marrying and giving in marriage. Big difference. But the heavens will start passing away with a great noise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.