1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Bible Study = "going to Church" aka Corporate Worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by T Alan, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks... just take a look at who the "they" is referring to... Paul and Barnabas. Then figure out how just 2 men could constitute the vote. The word here simply means "appoint" as in "they appointed" not "they voted [amongst themselves???]".

#61 Greektim, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Takes one to know one ;)

3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Ths is a valuable discussion but when y'all get it nIled down how bout addressing more suçcently the original thought that of the SS classes or Bible Study (still located at the church) is as much "worship" as that that happens at 11o clock .

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Worship is worship, but not all worship is church worship. Church worship is done decently and in order as a baptized body of believers who meet together regularly for public worship as an administrative body of the keys of the kingdom (Mt. 18:15-20) and have authority to administer those keys. A church may at some periods be without ordained officers but that is not the true character of the New Testament church institution.

So no Sunday school class replaces church worship as no sunday school class has church authority.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another repeat of the same absurd argument, Paul and Barnabus selected Elders by a show of hands. They took the action to select, by holding an election. Thus the verb does not limit the number of participants in the Election. Good grief.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To recap, Acts 14:23 teaches Elders were selected by a show of hands. Now Greektim has questions whether the word at the time Paul used it, meant select by vote. I referenced Strong's and Thayer's lexicons, but Greektim said they were out of date. I pointed out Robertson agreed. Then another poster cited John Calvin, as also agreeing. And finally another poster cited early Baptist writings indicating leaders were to be selected by vote.

All this to say, when believers meet to study, fellowship and pray, that constitutes a church meeting of sorts.

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only the subject carries out the action of the verb. Either Paul and Barnabas did the appointing, or they did the voting. Either way, it doesn't say the church voted. The only subjects are Paul and Barnabas. This isn't absurd; it's grammar! It is the same when the verb is used of God. God doesn't vote w/in himself. He just appoints. Paul & Barnabas didn't vote. That is absurd. They simply appointed. The subjects carry out the action of the verb.

BTW... I can show you from Calvin's institutes that he has the election of church officers done a different way.
    Also... what is the point of a church vote if they are just installed by Paul and Barnabas??? That is essentially what you are saying.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could simply mean they initiated and oversaw the process. The President appoints supreme court judges, but the appointments have to be approved.

Paul told Titus the time would come when a congregation would "heap to themselves" those who teach only what they want to hear. The sin in that isn't their power to choose teachers, but the departure from sound teaching.

9. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that would be stretching the meaning of the word and defining a word based on a theological position rather its semantic range.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a whole lot of detail about the process in the account.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the beat goes on...
    The action, making a selection by holding an election, so there was no appointing, just a selection by vote. The incredible lengths some go to to justify the absurd is absolutely amazing. Did someone say Paul and Barnabas were not the subjects? Nope. So more misdirection, flumery, and smoke.

Is it the same verb (selection by vote) used by God? No reference was cited. :) The verb appears, in Acts 14:32, and 2 Corinthians 8:19 only.

John Calvin agrees with Robertson and against your mistaken view as to the meaning of the word. There is not enough smoke to cloak that truth.

12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you haven't been reading my posts. I cited other sources that used the word for God appointing. If you had done your due diligence and actually researched this, you'd know w/out me telling you.

You may not by word reject that Paul and Barnabas are the subjects, but your definitions deny it. If the subjects carry out the action of the verb, and the verb is to appoint even w/ hands, then Paul and Barnabas selected w/ their hands. That is grammar. In other words, the word simply means to appoint.

You talk a lot about my posts as smoke... but your posts smell more like σκυβαλον.

And as I showed, in Calvin's Institutes, he used this passage to say that elders appointed elders. You must not have read that either. Convenient you'll use Calvin and deride those that follow his theology. More σκυβαλον.

#72 Greektim, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  13. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the pulpit commentary... not deeply technical so all of us can understand it:

14. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    JFB commentary

The embolden part is what I have been arguing against Van if we push his meaning too far.

15. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 10:41 uses the word plus a compound w/ a preposition for God choosing (προκεχειροτονημένοις).

"not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead."

And I was referring to outside sources of God choosing w/ this word. But this works too.

Shall I continue?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3 MONTHS as a hospice volunteer would do nicely

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had earlier attributed the above to Calvin's Commentary. It is indeed JFB; I must have toggled to that by mistake. Sorry.

Calvin's Commentary:

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you are referring to this post:

Where did you get that snippet?

19. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Been there done that got a tear shirt. But I can't imagine where you brought that from.

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Institutes IV, 4, 2. I came across it while reading Dever's booklet on elder led congregational ruled churches called By Whose Authority? Elders in Baptist Life.