1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Bible Study ideas

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 26, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most impressive I will check out these books, thank you so much.

Looking online I can't find The Testimony of Typology in the Tabernacle on amazon nor CBD. Where did you get it?

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

evangelist6539:

Referencing your post #17 of 3/27 about Wayne Grudem, I'll say that I'm somewhat familiar with this theologian's work because about a dozen or so years ago I purchased his large (1,300 pages!) hardbound book entitled Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine that was published by Inter-Varsity Press in 1994. [NOTE: Zondervan may also carry this book.]

Grudem goes into much more detail in this book than he does in the work you mentioned in your post (#17), and, I'm quite sure that the above-mentioned book is written at a somewhat "higher reading comprehension level" than the summary work to which you referred---probably more akin to someone who is more familiar with works aimed at the "upper-level undergraduate market" than a book that you'd find in the average Christian bookstore.

For many years, Grudem was affiliated with the Trinity Evangelical Divinity Seminary in Deerfield, IL, and, with that fact in mind, his theological works will---to some extent at least--show Trinity's "theological slant." (FWIW, to me that's not inherently a bad thing IMHO.)

At any rate, if you should happen to come across anyone who you believe are, so to speak, "up to the challenge" of comprehending Grudem's Systematic Theology, I'd recommend that he/she consider securing a copy of this valuable reference work.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure yet on this one, but does he have this book on his website? Thanks.. Will check out the other one. Remember I am dealing with a church where the people do not read books nor study theology in depth. No question about it they would rather watch a DVD series, be spoon fed lectures with handouts rather than read books like this one, and so forth. Books take effort and time and something unfortunately not many Christians like to do.

#24 evangelist6589, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have his systematic theology and read it in seminary. However I found Ericksons to be deeper and better written. But even Ericksons is not as deep as other out there, especially BB Warfield for one. But the advantage of Erickson is he can write so people can understand him. But remember I am dealing with a church where the people do not read books nor study theology in depth. What I recommend to the pastor he has to endorse. I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling he will choose something I did not recommend or choose some DVD series which defeats the purpose of books.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You went to seminary?!
    Hmm...

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist