1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Translators of the Received Text required

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Nigel, Nov 6, 2007.

?
  1. yes

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. never - the King James Version is the only one acceptable

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. no- the Received Text is not inerrant

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. yes - but every word must correspond to a word in the Received Text

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll take you at your word. And I am glad to see this.

So now it is time for some corrections to what you have posted, according to your opening post, and I now quote some excerpts from it:
    Here come the corrections, and I hope I am just as aware as you about adding to or taking away from the (written) word of God.
    This may well be your belief, but it does not stand up to historical scrutiny. The designation 'Received Text' (or Textus Receptus) does not apply to the autographa of either the OT or NT in any legitimate manner. As far as is known, none of the autographa are extant, anywhere. While it is improper to say they definitley do not exist, such seems to be the case.
    Nor does it ever apply to the OT text in any form whatsoever,
    and it is actually improper to apply it to even the texts and MSs behind the KJV NT texts, for that designation did not even exist before c. 1633, with the publication of a Greek NT text, that was no doubt, very similar to the one followed by the translators, compilers and corrorborators of the KJV. However, it is still improper and an error to apply this designation ex post facto, regardless of how good it may sound to one's ear. So I will ask that you refrain from this practice.

Page 1. Page 2. to follow, shortly.

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Page 2.

Whether or not the text(s) that form the basis for the KJV are inerrant is debatable. And the debate about this has been ongoing for all of my adult life, at least, for 40 years, and probably much longer than that. I'll not attempt to address that here, but merely to note it.

However, one has a problem here, as well. We do not know the exacts texts on which the KJV of 1611 is based, nor the original manuscript(s) of the version, even, for God, in His glorious and magnificant Providence, apparently allowed the actual original works and notes on this version to perish in the great London Fire of 1666. Hence, all we have left are various editions of the KJV as amended various times, (as well as some anecdotal evidence from some individuals) in different ways, from very slight to fairly major revisions. It is undeniable that we have seen various revisions, and that has been shown many times on the BB, as well as in more other places than I can possibly name. Is any one edition (of any Bible, in any language) an 'inerrant' and 'perfect' translation and rendering of "the Word of God"?

No doubt, while there are many 'faithful' renderings (at least I believe that there are), but were there any 'perfect ones", we would not even be having this conversation, as there would be no need for another translation or version, in our own language of English.

I cannot speak to any other language, but to say that it is still deplorable to me that there are many multiple language groups that still don't even have a poor translation of Scripture, let alone a good one, And I support and pray for groups and individuals in their work on this, such as "New Tribes" and the Wycliffe Bible translators.

Sorry for that rabbit trail, in the middle of the posts, but it seemed appropriate.

End of Pages 2. Page 3. to follow shortly.

Ed

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Is the author of the OP under the impression that the translators sat down with just a copy of a TR and translated it into English.

Would that have been Erasmus compilation of the TR?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Page 3.

I have said before that I find (at least most of) your aims laudable, and I would include the "free of charge", and "not for profit" motives among them. But I do not include 'revisionist history' in the mix. I have already mentioned the proper designation of "Received Text". To attempt to push this back to the beginnings of the church is erroneous, at best. Faithful text(s)? Yes! Absolutely, at least in their and our minds. "Received Text"? Not for another 1600 years, as I believe it is that long between ~ 33 A.D., and 1633 A.D., if my math is still correct, and which, as I have already said, does not apply to the OT texts, at all.

Getting to the NT - Which "Received Text"? Even allowing the improper designation of this before 1633, which particular text are you talking about?

One of the 5 editions by Erasmus, (based on this particular text tradition), one of the 4 by Stephanus, one of the 9 by Beza? one of the 3 by the Elzevirs, or some other? Which one is the correct and "inerrant' one? Note that all these were and are a form of 'eclectic' texts as well, as there is no Greek manuscript that is exactly identical with any of these editions. I suggest that you go with Erasmus' 1st or 2nd edition. No 'Johannine Comma' to deal with in those. (Luther did not have to deall with it in German!) And find one where the last six verses of Revelation are supported by a Greek text, as opposed to the Conmentary of Andrew. Can't find one that is acceptable that does not have these two things to deal with??

"Houston, we have a problem!"

Miss or Mrs. Deborah Anderson notwithstanding, what she has stated is only an opinion, about the Hebrew OT.

My personal opinion is that this is undertaking is "unneeded", per se, but can definitely be desirable and helpful, as well. There is a difference in the two approaches.

Go for it, but please be aware that not all share the same conclusions you have arrived at, and also please lose the misconceptions and mis-statements I see in your posts, in the process. And also be aware that some 'textual criticism' has to be employed by you and your team, as well.

I have to get to work, so am unable to add more, at this time.

FTR, I am no linguist, but my alter-ego is known on the BB, as "Language Cop".

God bless,

Ed

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No , Nigel . There is no pressing need for an accurate translation of the Received Text into current English . The so-called R.T. is faulty . If a new translation was done it would also be faulty . It would be interesting -- a curiosity , but also based on faulty premises . BTW , there is no single R.T.

6. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Dear Ed,

Thank you for this observation. Now I understand to a greater extent, perhaps, the thrust of what you are saying.

I do not wish to be drawn into, or stoke, a controversy about the Authorised Version or about the Textus Receptus in this bulletin board.

Actually, I would like to back off from that totally.

All I am looking for is a group of people who believe as I do that the Received Text is the inerrant autographa of the Word of God, that the Authorised versio is a faithful translation into English and who are willing to co-labor with me to translate it into current spoken US English.

[email protected]

Your brother in Christ Jesus,

Nigel

7. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Translators of the Received Text required

Dear friends,

an important question has been raised, which I do not wish to stir into a controversy. However I believe it is right to explain why I believe that the Received Text is the inerrant Word of God.

The Received Text has been under much attack, for a variety of reasons.

First, perhaps, is that much of the work done in compiling New Testament manuscripts was carried out by Erasmus.

What did he do?

He identified the text of Byzantine origin that was accepted as the inerrant Word of God by the church (excluding the Roman Catholic church), and he discarded the Alexandrian text from Egypt upon which the Roman Catholic church relied for the vulgate translation into latin.

Secondly, Erasmus translated back into greek the last six verses of the book of Revelation from the only manuscript he had available - the vulgate. However, the Byzantine text that forms what we know today as the Received Text does not include any translation back into greek from the latin vulgate.

Third, Erasmus is described as a humanist and a catholic. Luther, until his conversion , was a roman catholic. All the main reformers started out as members of the roman catholic church.

Fourth, Erasmus is described as a humanist. Humanism in the 16th century bears absolutely not a shred of resemblance to what we describe today as secular humanism. A humanist of the 16th century was a well-educated academic, open-minded, open to argument, willing to be persuaded by others, willing to concede that he may not be entirely right. A humanist in the 16th century was not a bigot.

The irony is that you cannot simultaneously regard Erasmus as someone whose approach to argument and ideas was wrong, unless someone is willing to put themselves into the 'bigot' camp. Actually, I am with Erasmus, at least to the extent that I am open-minded, open to argument, willing to be persuaded by others, willing to concede that I may not be entirely right.

Fifth, there is a general assumption that Erasmus is the source of the Received Text. Actually, Erasmus and others of that early 16th century period were coming to appreciate that the Alexandrian text on which the medieval roman catholic church relied was essentially flawed, and the Byzantine text relied upon exclusively by the church excluding the roman catholic church was correct in all respects.

The root of the debate between those who oppose the Received Text and those who hold to modern translations is a difference between 2 texts - the Alexandrian text and the Byzantine text.

For a more informed discussion of both points of view, and the case for either text, I would point the reader to an excellent article in Wikipedia under the title 'Textus Receptus'.

Kind regards,

nigel Dixon

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nigel, it's a fine personal endeavour you pursue but I too am skeptical about the public's need for such a new version.
    The textual discrepancies between the KJV and the NKJV are minor and do not affect evangelism or discipleship, particularly amoung “young people” “who have no Christian upbringing”.

For those fanatical individuals that concern themselves about such trivial matters, the BB translations forum is available. :thumbs:

I was curious about which “received text” you would use: My curiosity was answered by examining material from the group you mentioned in the OP.

From a Trinitarian Bible Society pamphlet: “The Greek Received Text is the name given to a group of printed texts, the first of which was published by Desiderius Erasmus in 1516. The Society uses for the purposes of translation the text reconstructed by F.H.A. Scrivener in 1894.”

Why wouldn't you use Robinson's Greek Majority text?

Rob

#28 Deacon, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nigel, I think you do see that I am not trying to "stoke controversy" as well. And, as you, I believe the "Authorized Version" to be a faithful translation, from a base, as well. [That exact base can never be known with 100% absolute certainty, as the records were burned in the great London Fire in 1666, as you know. However, it would appear from extant copies of the 'KJV' (a.k.a. the AV, or Authorized Version), other English versions, and extant Greek Texts, that the KJV NT is 'translated' (where it is not an adaption of one of the already extant English translations) from the Greek basis of the Greek text of that of Beza of 1598. This is the opinion expressed by F. A. Scrivener over a century ago, and I find little reason to dispute this.]

This can, in no way, be described as "autographa", however, any more than are the two copies of Greek NT text that I posess. Were there any actual 'autographa' around, the labors of Erasmus, Colinaeus, Stephanus (Estienne), Beza, the Elzevirs, Griesbach, Scrivener, et al., would have long since been marked as fradulent, for they would have been shown to be exactly that. For whatever reason, in the magnificent providence of God, that is not the Divine modus operandi. Hence, we have the works of the above individuals, as well as that of those of some other persuasions, all of whom were or are fully intending to be "faithful workers".

And these "faithful workers", certainly include the many 'translators' of Scripture, from even before the days when the Lord Jesus Christ walked on the face of the earth, through today, including such as John of Japan and Nigel, among others, who actually appear on the Baptist Board. I laud all these, and in no way, put any of them down. (I do not hold any 'agenda driven' "translators" of 'manufactured versions', such as the NWT, CWT, etc. in the same regard, FTR.)

A translation can well be "faithful", but that does not necessarily make it "perfect", in our sense of "perfect", in my lifetime of the last half of the 20th and now into 21st Century. Yet I have concerns about some assumptions you still appear to be making, that I find historically unsupportable.

End of Page 1.

Page 2. to follow shortly.

Ed

#29 EdSutton, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I generally agree with what you have written here, Deacon, and basically agree as to the NKJV. Else I would use another version, myself.

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Page 2.

It is absolutely improper, IMO, at least, to refer to the "Received Text" (where you are now attempting to redefine what that means, BTW) as "the inerrant autographa of the Word of God". Let there be no mistake, here. I certainly do believe in the "inerrancy" of Scripture, at least in the overall sense as given in "The Chicago Statements", on Inerrancy and Hermeneutics, as found here, for an example.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/chicago1.html

http://www.bible-researcher.com/chicago2.html

And I certainly do believe that the autographa were inerrant. But any and all the texts we have available today are still not the autographa. "Faithful attempts?" Certainly, at least for the most part, as far as we know. "Autographa", meaning the original, as penned by the Biblical writers under the direct 'inspiration' of the Holy Spirit? NO! for we simply do not have such access, as I've already stated, in so many words.

And you have not addressed which 'version' of the "Reveived Text" for the NT you are proposing, either, given your stated penchant for some variation of this. I do believe these things need to be addressed.

If one's only concern is the language forms of the 17th Century, it would seem there is no need to do a new translation, IMO, as an 'update' 'paraphrase of the English, where needed, should suffice.

As to what purport to be 'revisions', there have been several recent examples of this, including the MKJV, KJII, KJIII, UKJV, Literal Translation, KJ21, etc. Most, if not all these, were done in "American" as opposed to "British" or "Continental" vernacular. Are these not somehow sufficient to satisfy your concerns? I would add a bit more to this, but have to leave for a funeral. Deacon has also made some good points. I urge you to consider them.

Gotta' run.

Ed

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Nigel.

I may be one who your friends at the Trinitarian Bible Society was referring to, since I am known on the Baptist Board as a Bible translator. (We've been on vacation so I haven't been following this thread.) However, I'm afraid that my Japanese translation work takes priority over any work on an English translation.

Perhaps I may be of help in an indirect way, though. Please take note of my translation principles, dileneated on the BB at various places: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=42500&page=2
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=41914
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=41648&page=2

God bless.

John R. Himes
    www.johnofjapan.org

13. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Hi Rob,

please forgive my ignorance. What is Robinson's Greek Majority Text?

Kind regards,

[email protected]

Nigel

14. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Dear Ed, to take the heat out of this discussion, as I have stated all along, I simply want to see a current US spojn English translation from the Textus Receptus.

Do the revisions you mention dervie exclusively from the Received Text ('Textus Receptus' the words translated into Englsh).
    In Christ Jesus,
    [email protected]

Nigel

15. Nigel

Nigel New Member

[Dear John,

This is really helpful. I will look at this.

Thank you.

In Christ Jesus,

[email protected]

Nigel

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

To quote the late 33rd President of the United States, Harry S. Truman, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." (1.)
    [Actually this quote is not what you previously said, even if the above is what you were intending. (Also I have not a clue as to what you mean by "spojn", unless you possibly meant to type "spoken", perhaps.)] Unfortunately, even if this is the case, this statement is misleading, at best, in two ways. To again quote President Truman, "If you can't convince them, confuse them."

(Please, do not get me wrong here! I do not think you are intending to mislead anyone, but I do think you happen to be posessing bad information, in several key areas, as I have previously posted in other words. That is why I have been responding to you, because I do not believe you are doing any of this in any deceitful manner, whatsoever.)

First: The US does not have any 'official' (or otherwise) "spoken" 'dialect' that is uniform across its 300 million plus population, and some 6000 miles, give or take a thousand, across an East to West distance. The regional dialects of, say, New England, North Dakota/Minnesota, the 'Deep South' and California, to name a few, are far different than the usual dialect that I hear, in the Central part of KY. (And I've either lived in or often conversed with some from all these areas.) So, into which particular 'local dialecxt' are you proposing to translate this?

Second: You have yet to answer my question about defining what you are speaking about with the 'Received Text'. I have previously pointed out the 'revisionist history' by the attempt to take its meaning and substitute another, already. That 'criticism' stands. It has to stand, else we have entered a realm where words do not mean anything, except for what one wishes, at any particular time.

So I'm taking the liberty of being fairly historically accurate [but not totally so, for I am applying, for you, the term 'Received Text'/ 'Textus Receptus' to the Greek texts of a lineage that started with the publication of Erasmus' Greek Text', of c. 1516, and continued along those basic lines, through Stephanus (Estienne), Beza, et al., and on via the Elzevirs, et. al.], by suggesting that your primary concern is the text of the NT. as found in the various editions of the KJV Bible, and that you happen to prefer the NT text similar to the one that formed the basis for the 1611 translation. This seems to be consistent with your currect post. (Maybe I am actually starting to get through, a bit, after all.) But again, I still have to ask you, "Exactly which edition of the TR are you meaning?"

And, FTR, I find the TR1881, and TR1894 to be completley unacceptable, for this continuing venture, which you have undertken, as both of these are a "reverse-engineered", constructed text, 'back-translated' into the Greek language from an edition of the KJV (probably either the '1762 Cambridge', or the '1769 Oxford'), with the stated intention of 'recovering' the now-lost Greek text, supporting the KJV NT, in the 1611 version, after the Great London Fire of 1666. It simply doesn't work that way, for this is "putting the cart before the horse", in a most egregious manner, IMO.

(See Post #122, here, in the site below.)

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=34250&page=13

The answer to your question, here, is both yes and no, as far as I can determine. Yes, they claim to follow the TR generally. But no, for they are also following (at least that is the claim, and it appears to be fairly accurate) at the same time, basically, some edition of the KJV. One cannot have it both ways, at the same time, in any case. Let me end this, for now, with an observation, and another quote from the late, great President Truman.

I realize that it may appear that I am 'getting on your case'. My intention is never to "give anyone 'hell'." But, for the third time, as President Truman so aptly put it, "I never give them hell. I just tell the truth, and they think it's hell."

Ed

(1.) - President Harry S. Truman quotes cited from this site:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...tes;++If+you+can't+stand+the+heat&btnG=Search

#36 EdSutton, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2007
  17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, John of Japan appears to have some good insight into 'translation', from my limited prespective.

Ed

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nigel, here is a site that gives some information about various Greek and Hebrew texts and editions fairly easily available on "Bible Works".

http://www.library.yale.edu/div/versions.htm

Hope this may help.

Ed

19. Nigel

Nigel New Member

My goal means that I have work to do: I am looking for workers, co-laborers to work alongside me as translators, and to peer-review work, and to oversee the task of translating the Received Text into current US spoken English, recognising that the Authorised Version is a faithful translation of the Received Text.

If anyone wishes to assist in the following 5 areas -

1. reading and commenting on draft translation
    2. translating from Biblical Hebrew or Biblical Greek of the Received Text
    3. checking translation for accuracy with the Received Text
    4. overseeing the process
    5. mentoring the people involved

then please contact me at

[email protected]

I wish to thank those who have already come forward to encourage me, and work alongside me in the last couple of days. Joining this bulletin board has been worthwhile.

I seek to be one who not only hears the Word of God, but does it as our Lord and savior Jesus Christ says in Matthew 7:22-25

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel Dixon.

I have been asked 3 questions:

1. With regard to the concept of "current US spoken English", I speak as a friend of the American people, an Englishman, and one who recognises the tremendous impact and influence of American language and culture worldwide.

Therefore I am not addressing the issue of regional dialects within the continental United States. Rather, I am looking at US English as taught and spoken throughout the world today and on the internet, on youtube, and in the kind of media that syndicate throughout networked TV and movie theaters across the world today - the means today, in other words, by which several billion people across the world are able to speak and understand English. I do not want to communicate that which defiles - a hollywood culture.

However, I do believe that we can use what I call current US spoken English to communicate the Word of God faithfully across the nations and thereby assist in fulfilling the Great Commission of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ in Matthew 28:18-20:

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I have only a limited understanding of other languages, so I do not personally sense at this time a call for me personally to translate the Word of God into other languages, though I appreciate and wish to encourage those who do. I have an overwhelming desire to see once more the Gospel preached and the Word of God taught fully throughout the nations of the world where English is spoken, and particularly in the United States of America and in my own nations of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

2. I do not believe that it is right to 'reverse'engineer' a purported baseline text from an English translation of it. So, for example, I would not go with an approach that seeks to re-translate the King James Version into a primary text. As far as I am aware no text upon which I rely has been 'reverse'engineered'.

3. I do believe that there has always been a Received Text for the Word of God, comprising the consonantal letters of the Hebrew text and the Masorah comprising the vowel indications,and the Byzantine text of the Greek text.

In answer to a question regarding the Received Text (I like to use the words 'Received Text' rather than 'Textus Receptus' as personally I am no latin fan, and I like the English language), I refer to the preface to the Received Text published by the Trinitarian Bible Society:

" The Textus Receptus printed in this volume represents the Greek text followed by the translators of the english Authorised Version of the Bible first published in the year 1611. Its relationship to other editions of the Greek text printed in the 16th and 17th centuries is shown in the following paragraphs (the following 5 paragraphs are by courtesy of the Trinitarian Bible Society to whom I attribute the copyright):

"The first edition of the Greek text to be published was that of Desiderius Erasmus in Basle in 1516, which was followed by his edition of 1519, which was used by Martin Luther for his German translation. erasmus also published editions in 1522, 1527 and 1535, the last two of which contained some changes from the Computensian Polyglot. The New Testament portion of the Polyglot Bible of Complutum, or Alcala in Spain, was actually printed in 1514, but was not in circulation until 1522. Christopher Plantin reprinted the Complutensian Greek text in antwerp in 1564, 1573, 1574, 1584 and 1590, and it was also printed in Geneva in 1609, 1619, 1620, 1628 and 1632.

"Simon Colinaeus, a printer in Paris, published in 1534 an edition based upon those of erasmus and the Complutensian Greek New ?Testament. This work of Colinaeus was never reprinted, but was superseded by the more famous editions of his step-son Robert Stephens, published in Pairs in 1546, 1549, 1550 and 1551. The edition of 1550, known as the "royal edition" or edition regia, followed the text of the 1527 and 1535 editions of erasmus, with marginal readings from the Complutensian Polyglot. The 1551 Geneva edition was a reprint of the 1550 text in which the present numbered verse divisions first appeared.

"Theodore Beza published in Geneva four folio editkons of the Stephens Greek text, with some changes and a Latin translation of his own, in 1565, 1582, 1588 and 1598. During this epriod Beza also published several octavo editions in 1565, 1567, 1580, 1590 and 1604. The editions of Beza, particularly that of 1598, and the last two editions of Stephens, were the chief sources used for the English Authorised Version of 1611.

"The Elzevir partners, Bonaventure and Abraham, published editions of the Greek text at Leyden in 1624, 1633 and 1641, following Beza's 1565 edition, with a few changes from his later revisions. The preface of the 1633 Elzevir edition gave a name to this form of the text, which underlies the English Authorised Version, the Dutch Statenvertaling of 1637, and all the Protestant versions of the period of the Reformation - "Textum ergo habes, nunc ab omnibus receptum . . ." The Elzevir text became known throughout Europe as the Textus Receptus or Received Text, and of course in time these titles came to be associated with the Stephens text of 1550.

"The editions of Stephens, Beza and the Elzevirs all present substantially the same text, and the variations are not of great significance and rarely affect the sense. The present edition of the Textus Receptus underlying the English Authorised Version of 1611 follows the text of Beza's 1598 edition as the primary authority, and corresponds with "The New Testament in the Original Greek according to the text followed in the Authorised Version" edited by F. H. A. Scrivener, M.A., D.C.L., LL.D., and published by Cambridge University Press in 1894 and 1902."

In Christ Jesus,
    [email protected]
    Nigel

20. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I have now read these three threads from John Himes and found them to be very helpful. To summarise:

Thread 1 - issues regarding appropriateness or inpropriety of contraction of words http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=42500&page=2

Thread 2 - translating Romans 1.5 http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=41914

Thread 3 - principles and methodology of translating the Word of God http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=41648&page=2

I wish to reflect on the threads I have read -

Thread 1 - I understand the principle of context in deciding whether or not it is appropriate to contract a word.

Thread 2 - I have written a post on thread 3 that is too big a size to fit into this post, so I will make it a separate post to follow

Thread 3 - I am reproducing what John Himes wrote, because it is an excellent set of principles and methodology, that I agree with and want to work within.Copyright © 2007 John Himes, www.johnofjapan.org

Principles of translating the Word of God

1. The intent of the divine Author always takes precedence over the understanding of the reader of the translated document.
    2. The original language document always takes precedence in authority over the translated document.
    3. The culture of the original language takes precedence over the culture of the receptor language.
    4. The terminology of the religions of the original language takes precedence over the religion of the receptor language.
    5. The translation should have dignity in keeping with the fact that it is the Word of God.
    6. The translation should have literary quality in keeping with the exalted language of the originals.

Methodology of translating the Word of God

Again seriously, here are some thoughts on my methodology. Note in particular #5 as being important. When we don't understand the divine Author's intent, it is still important to preserve His wording.

1. Find the closest vocabulary in the receptor language giving the meaning of the original.
    2. Find the equivalent grammatical structure in the receptor language. (This is from optimal equivalence and its use of transformational grammar.)
    3. Translate idioms directly in cases where the meaning comes across clearly in the receptor language.
    4. When the meaning of an idiom does not make sense in the receptor language, find an equivalent idiom or phrase to reproduce the meaning of the original.
    5. Preserve the ambiguities of the original language. (This is particularly important in preserving the author’s intent.)
    6. Only paraphrase the meaning of the original when the grammar of the original cannot be faithfully produced in the translated document.
    7. Only transliterate when the equivalent words of the receptor language are laden with cultural baggage and new terminology must be invented to invest the meaning of the original.
    8. Meaning should be determined primarily from how a word is used in the rest of the New or Old Testament, secondarily from research on documents contemporary with the originals as presented in lexicons of the original languages, and only thirdly from possible reception of meaning by the reader of the translation.
    9. Simple words should be used in the receptor language as a rule. The exception is when there are no simple words in the receptor language that properly convey the meaning of the original.
    10. Translation by concordance (same word in each appearance in the receptor language) should be done when context warrants it (for example, “order of Melchizadek” in Hebrews).

In Christ Jesus,

[email protected]

Nigel Dixon