1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Trivia -- chapters and verses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Sep 15, 2006.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Information in another thread caused me to think of starting this one. The information I post is not original with me, nor have I verified all of it. The source of the trivia will be given near the end of this post.

The Bible was first divided into chapters by Cardinal Hugo de Sancto Caro. The first division of verses was completed by Paris printer Robert Stevens in 1550. The first "Red Letter" edition of the Bible was published in 1901.

Chapters (this information considers individual Psalms as chapters)

The King James Bible is divided in 1189 chapters, 929 in the Old Testament and 260 in the New Testament. The middle chapter of the Bible is Psalm 117, having 594 chapters before it and after it. Psalm 117 is also considered the shortest chapter in the Bible. The longest chapter in the Bible in Psalm 119. The longest chapter in the Bible not a psalm is Numbers chapter 7, with 1939 verses.

Verses

There are 31,101 verses in the Bible.* Psalm 103:2 is the middle verse of the Bible. The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9 and the shortest verse is John 11:35. Ezra 7:21 includes every letter of the English alphabet except the letter "j".

The name "Jesus" is in both the first and last verses of the New Testament.

[Source: The Bible Readers' Aids, Charles H. H. Wright, ed., pp. 16, 17; King James Version Bible, edition KWM-14-5941.]

*In another thread this was also given as 31,173 verses and 31,102 verses. I've not counted them and don't know which is correct.

The above is only a sampling of the information found in Wright's "Bible Readers' Aids".

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should that be 89 verses in Numbers chapter 7 instead of 1939 verses?

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is definitely a typo! It should be 1939 WORDS. And of course you are correct about the number of verses, which is 89. Thanks!