1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Mnemonic Devices

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Oct 6, 2022.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Bible major at Bob Jones I had to do a lot of memorization of Bible passages as well as their location. One thing that has helped me to learn some of these is the use of mnemonic devices. For those who may not know, a mnemonic device is anything that helps you remember an important fact. Very useful in tests and quizzes. An example, and one a taught my world history students, is placing an “x” right in the middle of “Boer” (as in Boer War) to form the word “Boxer”. This is to show that the Boxer Rebellion occurred during the Boer War in South Africa*. Different continents, yet related political impulses brought both about.

Getting to the Bible, there are several useful ones that came to mind when I was at school. Here are a few:

The 39 and 27 chapters of, respectively, the Old and the New Testament, are similar to the chapter breakdown in Isaiah, where there is a grand change in content.
    For that matter the other two major prophets, Jeremiah and Ezekiel, also have similar changes in theme.

Speaking still of the Old Testament, two of the post-exilic historic books, Ezra and Nehemiah as well as Daniel have detailed prayers for national repentance and rededication.

An example from the New Testament: Paul’s 18-month stay in Corinth is recorded in Acts 18, the first 18 verses!
    Are there any mnemonic devices that help you to remember Biblical content?

Note:
    *To be exact, the Boxer Rebellion broke out a week after the start of the 2nd Boer War.

Biblical Mnemonic Devices

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgot to add that these prayer chapters are all in the 9th chapter of each those books.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had trouble keeping the order straight for Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians Colossians until a lady told me God eats pop corn. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another one applies to Romans, as Drinking and Driving. The opening chapters apply to presenting doctrine which we are to drink in, and the closing chapters apply to applying the doctrines, which drive our lives for Christ.

• Like Like x 1