1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Solution to Spousal Abuse

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Eladar, Feb 11, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Still casting stones I see. </font>[/QUOTE]Not casting stones. Just facts.

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

If we can ever get past these kinds of 'facts' perhaps we can actually get to the topic. If you have nothing more to say than "abusers are scum" then I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from posting to this thread.

3. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Eadar, that would be did. :rolleyes:

On the other remark about putting the person in jail....... I think its a good thing. One it gives the abused person a break (if however so brief). Gives the abuser time to cool it and possibley and hopefully an opening for someone (clergy or counselor) to try and get through to the abuser. I'm not saying it would help but it sure don't help keeping the abuser in the home with the battered spouse.

4. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I had a reply to this, but decided that a different approach is better at this point.

I am not trying to attack the "throw the jerk in jail" crowd. I am simply trying to find a Biblical answer to the problem.

This is for everyone:

If you don't have a Biblical answer to this problem and simply want to label me an "abuser lover" and tell me how wrong I am for my position, please do not bother. Such discussions are going no where and are taking this thread away from what I intended it to be.

Is there an actual Biblical answer to what abused spouses are supposed to do?

It seems to me that the answer so far is that either the spouse can stay in hopes that the abuser will turn to God or the spouse can leave but not divorce the abuser.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then please rescue us from our ignorance. What, pray tell, is the right answer? :confused:

6. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Perhaps I was not clear enough:

I do not have the answer, that is why I started the thread.

So far this is the answer:

Either the spouse can stay in hopes that the abuser will turn to God or the spouse can leave but not divorce the abuser.

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

We as Christians are resposible to the laws of our respective nations, be it the U.S, Australia or the U.K or wherever, if you beat your wife up you rightfully are going to jail. As Christians it is our responsability to submit to that law. God appoints the leadership of our nations, and those laws are put there for good reason.

Ed Silvoso has a huge ministry in Argentina yet they have found that alot happens there with Spousal abuse, so what his church does is actually take the wife away from the husband and place her in protective custody and usually the children as well. The husband will not ever see that wife again until he can genuinley prove that he has reformed from it. I think that too is fair enough.

A wife is the greatest ever blessing that God can give a man, if you abuse your wife she does not have to put up with it, and rightly can leave.

8. Eladar

Eladar New Member

So Ben, do you actually have a Biblical answer?

9. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I'm with you padredurand... I dunno either? [​IMG] Callin' the law enforcment people (police) made alot of since to me. [​IMG]

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about "Give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser" - If we are to keep the laws of the country then do so. Mt 22:21

11. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can turn the blackest sin-sick heart. He turned mine. Statistically, if she stays until that happens she may be dead or seriously injured.

Can I qualify that? With a plan. The goal is always healing, restoration and reconciliation. Until the abuser can demonstrate "the change wrought in me" consistantly the abused should have the benefit of safety.

In most states law enforcement has no choice but to arrest an abuser. Health professionals and clergy are required to report suspected and actual cases of abuse. Is that Biblical? We do, as Ben said, have a responsibility to the laws of our government. I pastor and also serve with a city police department. If you have beat your spouse or child and come to me there are two things you can count on: I will pray with you and you are going to jail.

12. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Ben,

I'm not commenting on the 'going to jail' stuff anymore. I thought I made that clear earlier. I'm only interested in what the Bible says.

The other stuff just goes in circles and goes no where.

13. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I have no problem with that, if that is what the victim wants.
    Is the victim required to report the abuse? That's what I'm trying to deal with here, what should the victim's response be from a biblical perspective.

That's fine.

14. Dina

Dina New Member

HUH? You just lost me. Based on the verses I qioted my thoughts are to stone the abuser. But alas, stoning is no longer used in this day and age, so off to jail he goes. I personally see nothing wrong in the wifew leaving, if the hubby doesn't change, off to divorce attorney for her.

Oh, I'm sure this will take heat from some of you die hard no divorce no matter what types, but well...it's how I feel. No blown gaskets, no anger, just sadness.

15. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the clearest passage can be found here.

Romans 13:1-7
    1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
    2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
    3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
    4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
    5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.
    6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
    7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

Every person is under subjection both abuser and the abused. Abuse is a crime and we are under obligation to report crime to the authorities. Some positions ie: pastor, school teachers, healthcare, etc. carry a heavier responsibility. If the abused will not or cannot report the crime then someone with direct knowledge of the crime is obligated to report it. Justice is a minister of God for good and evil. It is dealt in different ways as the text indicates.

If you are dealing with a case of spouse abuse you will hear, "but I love him." more often than "arrest that man." Consider the vows taken at marriage, typically to love, honor and cherish for better/worse, richer/poorer in sickness/health. How is love demonstrated with a fist or weapon? How can someone be honored and abused at the same time? You cannot cherish and choke at the same time. The abuser has already demonstrated the vows spoken before God and witnessed by man meant nothing. There would be a stronger argument that the abuser has sent her away (even if not physically) than to believe she retains an obligation to stay.

Your profile says you teach HS math. What are you required to do at school? If you fear a conflict between your obligations to the school district and to your Lord, rest easy Brother. There isn't one.

If you are dealing with an actual situation and not theory, email me with all haste.

16. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Dina,

Do you make no distinction between a permanent seperation and divorce? Why must there be divorce with a permanent seperation?

17. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Does this hold true for all crimes or just some crimes? Do you need to report the fact that you were doing 75 in a 65?

18. Dina

Dina New Member

Yes, I make a distinction.

Most times there must be a divorce because the abuser will not "leave the abused alone". Divorce him and disappear. Have no more to do with him. Too many statistics about the abused getting the gumption up to finally boot the abuser out and the abused becomes a homicide.

If there are children involved, whether being abused, or seeing Mom getting abused, well...that kind of pain never goes away and in itself is a form of abuse. They need to get out and away the sooner the better, if "getting away" means divorce then I have no problem with it.

19. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I won't respond to the rest because it just goes back into the same circle again, pulling the thread off topic again.

And no, this is not something I'm dealing with right now. It is purely hypothetical.

If it were about my teaching position, I'd ask the question in regards to a teaching position.

20. Eladar

Eladar New Member

A person can leave without getting a divorce. A divorce is no guarantee that the abuser will not kill the victim.
    Same problem, divorce does not solve the problem and the same ends can be achieved short of divorce.