1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Bend National Park in TX

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Feb 29, 2008.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I plan on taking the fam to the Big Bend area deep into South West Texas for spring break in the next couple of weeks. I have never been anywhere in TX west of San Antonio where I am currently stationed.

Has anyone ever been in this area?
    What places should I go and see?
    Which ones should I avoid?
    Places to stay?
    Places to eat?

Thanks for any feedback provided.

2. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

3. Nomad

Nomad New Member

I visited Big Bend NP several years ago, and it remains one of my favorite vacations. Of course, I like solitude, quiet, hiking, off-roading, and wildlife-watching. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere, which I liked. (There is a nice lodge within the park, and a restaurant.) Still, I enjoyed my brief stop in Langtry, TX (home of Judge Roy Bean) and also the drive along the River Road west of the park. The ghost town of Terlingua is nearby. A trip through the Davis Mountains around Alpine is also worthwhile. But the main reason to visit Big Bend is to drink in the peace and quiet, along with the impressive mountain/desert scenery. Perhaps this site can be of more help than I can. I hope you enjoy your trip.

4. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, a nice cup of hot tea or coffee will be nice out there under the stars.

Thanks for the info. Do you think Terlingua ghost time would entertain a couple of teenagers? If you only had 3 days with a family of four to include 2 teenagers what areas would you cover?

As of now, I am thinking about staying in Alpine and checking out the Marfa lights, the McDonald Observatory, and using the days to drive down to the Big Bend area...

Thanks again.

5. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

What you have planned is good. McDonald Obervatory is amazing! It's been 19 years since I've been there and from what I've heard they added a new telescope. The Marfa lights are neat. Terlingua is neat from what I remember of it.

Hope you guys have a great time.

6. jakers

jakers New Member

If you make it as far as Terlingua, you HAVE to go on to Lajitas and meet Clay Henry Jr. He's the beer-drinking goat. His dad, Clay Henry Sr was the elected mayor of Lajitas back in the late 80's.