1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bill Belichick, poor loser!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Jan 21, 2013.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ?? :confused::confused::confused: ??

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Your premise was that Brett Favre would have did better than Brady. To me that is what if, you must think Favre could do what Brady couldn't and believe that Favre was a good qb. How many SB did Brett play in, that he was on the losing team? How many on the winning team? I was just saying that the 3 that I believe to be good qbs are better than Favre and none of them won a super bowl.
    On the Twins deal, just because they didn't win the WS didn't change my view of them, they were still a good team. Winning the SB does not make you a good qb, you were either good going in or not and except most were good going in and coming out.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Favre's teams were 1-1 in the Super Bowl, but that not the point. The point is--Do you think your top 3 QB's would have beaten the Giants in the Super Bowl had they been the QB on the 18-0 Patriots? That's it. Brady didn't get the job done, I feel that Favre or Montana would have risen to the challenge.

The question isn't "is Tom Brady a good QB?" The question is, "Is Tom Brady overrated?"

#23 InTheLight, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected. Do you think it is true that Ty Cobb sharpened his spikes?

The only reason I would doubt if he did is because I'm not sure if it was really necessary. Coming into a base "with your steel showing" often could get the edge looked for, sharpened or not. And does anyone doubt he made that work? Many of his records held up for almost a century, but I'm sure he still holds many in the record book, and you can't deny the fear of being stabbed or slashed by the team in the field got his Tigers (or Athletics) some more runs, and thus some more wins.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Brett Favre was the QB of a team that played those New York Giants and lost. You can bring up all the hypotheticals you want, but the fact is that Brett Favre played that particular Giants team and lost.

First, Brady's already an NFL Immortal, isn't he? Or, do 3 Super Bowl wins count for nothing?

Second, I have a few questions designed to tear down this "didn't have it in him" nonsense. What did Brady not have in that game that he had against the Rams, the Panthers or Eagles? Or in winning 3 AFC Championship Games? Brady led 2 game winning drives to win 2 Super Bowls, so he must have had it then, but somehow, he didn't have it anymore?

You mentioned Montana and Favre, holding them both up as shining examples of players who, presumably, would have had it in them to win if they were QB of those Patriots. But, both players have had times of "having it in them" and not "having it in them".

For example, Montana won 4 Super Bowls, but what happened in the 1990 NFC Championship Game? He somehow didn't have it anymore? Favre beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, but somehow, he didn't have it for the next year's Super Bowl when the favored Packers lost to the Broncos. That's also the Super Bowl where John Elway, according to the logic of having it in him, suddenly developed whatever it is to win after having lost 3 Super Bowls.

Football is too complex a game to be explained away by lazy narratives.

It's not hard to get facts right, but why let facts get in the way of a good story?

Here's a recap of the snowplow game that happened on December 12th, 1982. Belichick wasn't the coach then. You want to claim Belichick cheated? No problem. He clearly did when illegally filming their opponent. But, you can't use the Snowplow game to make your case. BTW, please provide evidence to support your first claim about opening stadium doors to affect field goals.

:laugh:

Mr. Alkire? Sir? That's Super Bowl, not super bowel. I don't really want to consider what a super bowel is. :smilewinkgrin:

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a first ballot HOF lock. If he could have led the Pats to a 19-0 record, he would have achieved an accomplishment that likely would never be duplicated. He would have rightly been able to claim "Best quarterback in NFL history."

He's not had a very good playoff record since the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl following the 2004 season. Oh, he looks real good in that first playoff game--just as he did this year vs. Houston--but as the Pats get nearer to the Super Bowl his performance declines.

The question is "Is Tom Brady overrated?"

Yep, pretty much. He's 8-7 in playoff appearances since beating the Eagles in the Super Bowl. He's had some downright awful playoff games. When the Pats beat Baltimore last year to get to the Super Bowl Brady had 0 TD's and 2 INT, and a QB rating of 57.5. Sunday's game he was 1 TD, 2 INTs, rating of 62.3.

<snip>

Yes, players have ups and downs. But every year I hear somebody say "Tom Brady is the best quarterback in NFL history." It just doesn't ring true for me. Brady is 8-7 in playoff appearances since 2004.

Favre and Brady's playoff stats are very similar. Montana's are better than either of them.

So, is Tom Brady the best QB in football history? I say no. Is he overrated? I say nowadays--yes.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

No, I don't think Brady is overrated. I'm not a fan of him or NE.
    Your question goes back to what if, and I don't know, but I would say they would have a better chance than Brett. I like Brett but Lorenzo throws to many passes to the other team. But in the what if games, we never will know.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I think I might need to learn to spell, I believe my 3rd. grade teacher kept telling me that and then I was drafted.

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I use to hear Dizzy Dean telling all the Cobb stories. I came away thinking he sure was one mean guy.
    Cobb quotes;
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch."
    "Baseball is a red-blooded sport for red-blooded man. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a struggle for supremacy, survival of the fittest."

10. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is beyond a poor and sore loser. As all of the losing coaches come out and talk to the media. As he did not. But sent another player out there to do his dirty work!

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

This is not true. Please get your facts right or don't bother coming to debate here. Belichick did talk to the media after the game. What he did not do is talk to the reporter on the field after the game.

I don't know who you're arguing against, because the only way Brady was going to be called GOAT is if he made it to the Super Bowl and won and he didn't. It's a lovely strawman you've built, calling a 3 time Super Bowl winning QB overrated so you can properly tear him down. I happen to think he's properly rated as a great QB who is in the argument for GOAT, but falls short.

#31 ccrobinson, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Belichick is a sore-loser and a jerk. He's been this way for as long as I can remember. I love to see him lose and always pull for the other team.

13. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone complains about Belichick when he does this, but no one mentions that Jim Harbaugh did the exact same thing this year and last year. Yet he is heralded by so many as the golden boy in the NFL now.

And it is funny to me how the Patriots are always characterized as cheaters, etc. Yet I would guarantee you they were not the only ones in the league doing such things. They were just the only ones who got caught. Face it, sports, especially pro sports, where people are paid a ton of money is full of cheaters. It happens in every sport and by probably just about every team.

I cannot help but think the bigger issue here is so many fans of other teams are jealous of the Patriots 3 Superbowls over the last decade or so.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of strawmen, I never said Brady was a Goat. I said that he's overrated. He was the best QB in football for years, but he's not anymore. Still, commentators and others carry on as if it's 2002 or something. Just take a look at his playoffs stats in the past 7 or 8 years. He has a very good game in the first round and then is below average or poor.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/gamelog/post/