1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bill Bright

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Oct 20, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What can you tell me about him, good and bad?

I'm looking into purchasing the NLTse Discovering God study Bible, and I hear this has his stamp on it.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill wasn't so ...

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Come on, now :)

As an NLTse fan...is that the best feedback you can give?

4. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Bill Bright was a gifted Evangelist and evidenced the gifting to fulfill the office of Evangelist. Bill Bright wouldn't be my source for Systematic Theology. That is my view.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Dr. William R. (Bill) Bright was the co-founder (along with his wife, Vonette) and long-time President of Campus Crusade for Christ, Int'l.

Dr. Bright died at the age of 81, on July 19, 2003.

The college ministry of Campus Crusade at the Univ. of KY, back in 1967-1968 was instrumental in my own Christian life back then, and subsequently, I attended Bible College, as did eight others friends from the Univ. of KY, with that being a major factor in that decision. While I have lost track of one of them, and one is deceased, I still remain close friends, with varying contact with the remaining six, to this day, who attended Bible College with me. And I occasionally run into a few others from those UK days, in Campus Crusade. We are all still friends, obviously some closer than others.

Ed

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I came to Christ and was discipled as a result of Campus Crusade - I have nothing but the highest regard for Bill Bright and the young men and women who worked at the High Schools and Colleges (high schools back in my day).

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So from what I gather, I have two opposites sides of the spectrum...but nothing in between. He started Campus Crusade for Christ, has 5 doctorates, influenced many believers (from what I gather from here and elsewhere)...but theologically speaking, he is not a good source to understanding God or systematic theology. If not...why?

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Bill Bright, let's see, he founded Campus Cruisade for Christ and wrote"A Handbook for Christian Maturity", probably one of the best discipleship books ever written and still used today. If Bill is so dumb what have any of the nay sayers done to compare.:godisgood:

10. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The Reformation.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He's a great Christian leader. Not surprising there are those with bricks to throw around here.

A man who pursued God's heart and God's passion to present Jesus those who would end up in eternal separation without salvaton. His organization Campus Crusade has reached countless millions and the Kingdom is better because of him.

Saddens me that some will deride a Christian brother who's vision is accomplishing the work of the Gospel even after he is gone.

#11 preachinjesus, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  12. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

For what it's worth (probably not much), i would recommend just about anything related to Dr. Bright.