1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Billy Graham

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Jun 4, 2018.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just found this in my files. My parents went to Wheaton in 1943, right after Billy graduated that same Spring. Here is the statement of standards they all (Billy and my parents) were required to sign that year:

"All are required to abstain from alcoholic liquors and tobacco, card playing, dancing, attendance at theaters (including moving picture theaters), and meetings of secret societies. Students who are not willing to cooperate in maintaining the Wheaton ideals of college work and life will be invited to withdraw whenever the general welfare demands it, even though there be no special breach of conduct calling for suspension."

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe.

The issue never was about Billy's message. No fundamentalist ever said his message was wrong. On the other hand, it was exactly this defense that Billy and his defenders made: the message is right, so who cooperates with them does not matter.

Lest you object, that is exactly what Billy said in a letter to John R. Rice in 1956, I believe. I have a jpeg of it in my files, and may be able to quote from it so that we all get the history right. I have done research in this very subject at the Billy Graham archives at Wheaton and the John R. Rice papers at Southwestern in Fort Worth.

And I thank God for that, as John R. Rice and many others did. I was just talking with my aunt (one of JRR's daughters), and she told me how thrilled JRR was and excited at all the souls being saved all throughout the 1940's and 1950's.

Actually, Bob Jones Sr. loved Billy, as did John R. Rice, and he loved them. I could quote from letters proving this. What he and the other fundamentalists objected to was not his message, not him personally, but his associations with men like John Bonnell. I have a sweet letter from 1956 from Billy to JRR explaining exactly his position about that and why he did it. Maybe I can share it later.

When Bob Jones Sr. died, I have been told that Billy attended the funeral.

At the JRR funeral, Billy and his wife sent a huge wreath of roses, apologizing that they were in Europe and could not attend. The BG Evangelistic Association sent a separate flower arrangement. (I was there and saw them.)

Happy 4th!

• Like Like x 1
  3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we can thank England ... BUT more importantly, we owe our way of life to a group of men who were not only BRAVE, but wise and apparently in the case of some, Godly!

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this article by E. L Bynum as to why he could not support Billy

Bynum accepted the pastorate of Tabernacle Baptist Church, Lubbock Texas. He had served as one of the pastors from 1953 through 1961

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Bynum served as associate pastor from 1953 until 1961 when he became Senior Pastor and served in that capacity until his retirement in 2005.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I get some extra time to come up with an excuse for my ultra-small mis-information????:Rolleyes

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    E. L. Bynum and his wife Betty have been good friends for many, many years. My wife and I have had dinner with them on several occasions (Betty was from San Diego, our city of ministry for 32 years).

I have known the later pastor, Jeremiah Sargent, since he was a pre-teen, and have known his dad Robert (pastor of Bible Baptist Church Oak Harbor, WA) for several decades.

I have preached from both their pulpits on several occasions. :)

As far as I know I have never met the present pastor, Bill Anker.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The foul squawkers over at the Pullet and Hen blog have given just a snippet from a William F. Buckley interview with Graham from the 1960s.

Here is the nearly hour long program from the Firing Line youtube channel:

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does that whole hour translate into their statement being wrong about Graham's view on abortion at that time?

I wouldn't expect it to be wrong, considering the messengers of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1971 passed a resolution that included calling "upon Southern Baptists to work for legislation that will allow the possibility of abortion under such conditions as rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity, and carefully ascertained evidence of the likelihood of damage to the emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother."

#30 rlvaughn, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've loved watching re-runs of his older crusades on TV and hearing them on radio. He preached Christ crucified very intensely back in the 50's and 60's, in my opinion. In the late 70's, the "fire" started to fade, it seems. Getting older will do that, I suppose.

I have disagreed with his theology, though, the older I have become.
    Other than that, I would prefer not to say.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist