1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biophysicist Levitt says Corona is slowing down

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scott Downey, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Their communism is not the communism of the past, it is just an authoritarianism of one party rule.
    They are a command and control economy sort of centrally planned, but regionally people do have input.

2. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what the point of that "just" is supposed to be. It is an atheistic, dictatorial state with worldwide impact. We have recently seen how regional input goes—it is forcefully put down, as Hong Kong has already felt its brutality firsthand.

But they are certainly far more savvy than the Soviet system was. They are easily playing us for the fools we have been. If things continue as they have, their economic kung fu will be the downfall of the West, all the while fueled and financed by the West.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just got off a group call with management of our medical practice.

Voluntary layoffs, 20% cuts in pay and hours (to include exempt employees), and reassignments for at least the next couple of weeks.
    Business income reduction of 80%

“Following from a science perspective, as testing becomes more available and ramps up we expect to be surprised at how prevalent the virus is in the community. Where we now see areas reporting 300 cases we will see the number climb to 3 or 4 thousand.”​

Future plans are still uncertain, this is a week to week adjustment.

Rob

4. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  5. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BREAKING: British "Expert" Who Predicted Millions Of Coronavirus Deaths Makes Stunning Reversal
    Another doomsdayer has now done a 180 degree flip, says it going away soon.

1/ This is a remarkable turn from Neil Ferguson, who led the Imperial College authors who warned of 500,000 UK deaths - and who has now himself tested positive for #COVID;

2/ He now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K. - more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case bc they were so old and sick.

3/ Essentially, what has happened is that estimates of the viruses transmissibility have increased - which implies that many more people have already gotten it than we realize - which in turn implies it is less dangerous.

4/ Ferguson now predicts that the epidemic in the U.K. will peak and subside within “two to three weeks” - last week’s paper said 18+ months of quarantine would be necessary.

5/ One last point here: Ferguson gives the lockdown credit, which is *interesting* - the UK only began ita lockdown 2 days ago, and the theory is that lockdowns take 2 weeks or more to work.

6/ Not surprisingly, this testimony has received no attention in the US - I found it only in UK papers. Team Apocalypse is not interested.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I just came across a graphic showing case rates following the first 100 confirmed. The problem with this sort of data is that testing does not represent cases, only cases detected by testing. Since testing is unevenly applied, meaningful comparisons are nigh impossible. The true number of cases and case rates are, and will remain unknown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every cloud has a silver lining. :)
    Coronavirus pandemic leading to huge drop in air pollution

I'm sorry there's no map for the USA. I'm sure you will find one somewhere on line if you're interested.
    This will undoubtedly save lives in China. When my daughter was living in Xian, the pollution levels were sometimes 200 times higher than W.H.O. guidelines.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly hope that's true, and I think it may be.
    One of the strategies of the Johnson government has been not to lock down immediately, but gradually in the hope that more younger, fitter people would get it and become immune. He has received quire a lot of flak for that, but when I looked at the graphs last night it did look as if the increase in infections was tailing off and that we might fare better than Italy or Spain.

However, time will tell. What I really want to know is whether God is using this pandemic to cause folk, especially in Europe, to look to Christ.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not alone

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this an act of the Holy Spirit?!?

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick update from the UK. Nothing said on the news about the increase in infections slowing down. All we get is why isn't the Gov't doing more?
    Personally, I'm in awe or what has been done to counter the virus here. Stuff seems to be being pulled out of thin air, and a huge new hospital in London will open next week. But if the infection rates keep going up, whatever is done is not going to be enough.

• Useful Useful x 1