1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BioWillie

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ben W, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Could be.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

If biodiesel was economically feasible we would have it. Anything that must be subsidized is de facto an economic failure.

4. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Why do you think it isnt feasible? I see this website is for Willie Nelson and talks about farmers growing it...which is only available in a few places, but check this site: http://www.biodiesel.org/

We use it in our government vehicles and as fuel for our ships instead of diesel. We (the Navy) have been testing it for at least 5 years now. As I understand it, you can put it in the gas tank of a Jetta that is designed for diesel.

I am for ANY fuel alternative that would ease or cease our dependence on mideastern oil.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Not if the overall return to the general economy, not to mention the autonomy of the country, is greater than the subsidy.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Eventually (not near term) it will be economically feasible. The question is: "Will it be a greater environmental hazard?"

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right now diesel engines are much more expensive then gas engines so few are buying them.

Awhile back I checked into buying a pickup which had one and it was about $5,000 more than a gas engine and not much better fuel economy. My Toyota Tundra gets 20 mpg on the highway.

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hiya emeraldctyange,

We agree on something. [​IMG]

I mentioned biodiesel back in another thread. My father is looking into making it for his farm equipment.

I also am members of another BB where they do run it in their car/truck. And you are right, it can be ran in any diesel engine, there are a couple of small catches, but nothing major.

Some of the hoses from older cars/trucks would have to be changed out, very cheap to do, and the fuel filter would have to be changed weekly for the first month of so, as the biodiesel tends to clean the engine much better then any other fuel, so that is why you would have to change the filter until the new biodiesel fuel cleans everything up.

Biodiesel also lubracates<sp> the engine better, making it last longer.

Biodiesel is a re-newble fuel source, and I don't understand why people aren't jumping on this to get away from the oil dependence we have now.

Three Thumbs up for the NAVY!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am glad the Navy is giving it a try and I hope they are finding success. If the military can find success, then maybe it will trickle down to the average joe sooner than later.

Even if the 18 wheelers/UPS/FedEx and other "BIG" companies used it, imaigine how many gallons of OIL we could do without.

Jamie

9. emeraldctyangel

I know GB. I just bought a F250 and wanted a diesel...too pricy.

Jamie, we just built several processing plants on base. I cant wait till we tell the mideast to bathe in it...we dont need it.

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Cool! What are you going to use as the fuel? Are you guys growing a crop for it, or will you recycle the used grease?

My father is looking at starting by recycling the used grease, but since he owns a 300 acre farm, he can grow something as fuel also. He just seems to think for his purposes, to start with, it will be easier to just recycle.

In an outfit as big as you guys are probably doing it, I am curious what you will use for the fuel.

Good luck with the project, I hope for the best, as I believe this is a way out of our dependency on oil.

Jamie

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Australia the farmers are growing Canola which they make into oil which is then turned into Biodiesal. Our State Government has decided that all our Diesel trains are to run on it by next year.

I too will enjoy the day that Middle Eastern oil firms are told that their products are no longer required when we too are self sufficient in fuel. I am not in anyway convinced that overseas oil money is not funding terrorism. If Willie Nelson is prepared to put his hand up and do something about it, more power to him!

12. emeraldctyangel

Jaime, far as I have been able to tell (fuels are not my speciality), the plan is to use used cooking grease. The first processing plant will be in Port Hueneme, CA, which is a Seebee (think construction worker?) base.

That is awesome Ben.