1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Birth control and Christian colleges.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hi dianetavegia,

That's a great question.

The short answer: No. Not "any" medical assistance.

I'm not against doctors or medicine. So if a couple wasn't getting pregnant and they thought there might be an anatomical problem, they could get it checked out.

My wife's sister and her husband were in this position. They started the process of finding out what might be wrong, then decided not to.

If it is a problem with a blocked tube, etc., and medical intervention can fix the problem, that's up to them. I don't think that they would be sinning to fix the problem. You might argue that their attempt to fix the problem is in line with the overall view that God desires to bless couples with children. In other words, it could be seen as a "prolife" view.

What I have a problem with is the use of "fertility drugs."

I can't remember the names or exact details of the Iowa couple anymore, but she used fertility drugs, put her life at risk, the lives of the babies at risk, and then said she was trusting God. She created a huge and unnecessary risk for herself by taking fertility drugs and then threw it into the lap of God.

They were paraded around the Christian circuit as "heroic" followers of Christ when they were the ones that created their own problem!

Fertility drugs often cause multiple conceptions that usually require the selective abortion of some of the embriyos. I don't think we should adopt a practice that might create the scenario where we need to abort some embriyos to safe the life of the mother. When the Iowa couple did this, they were playing with fire, and only God's mercy and grace spared them a horrific tragedy.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What an amazing abuse of scripture. I hope you have tossed your tylenol, your vitamins, and your nyquil.

Is it my imagination, or is this thread bearing a striking similarity to the KJVO threads? Big claims with either lack of scripture or abuse of scrupture.

Scripture DOES NOT say "have as many children as possible". Only by an abuse of certain verse can one come to that conclusion.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

Well, I am only going to say that I agree with Pastor Larry and Johnv on this one. And leave it at that. I have a reputation of being rather harsh with those who are rather careless in their interpretation and go way beyond what the Bible was written to mean.

I trust God's plan for my life, If he wants me to have more children, I will. He is after all the great Physician.

As for theology, well, we are well beyond anything that could be referred to as Biblical theology, so I usually try to avoid passing judgement on others when they disagree in such areas.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What makes you think you know better than every single Greek lexicon out there? Surely you do not think you know more than they do.

There are also potions and druges that heal you from infections, diseases, etc. Do you take any of those? If so, then you are one of the dogs. Why not just trust God?

Yes, none of which has to do with birth control. You cannot say this kind of stuff and expect people to take you seriously.

Literature of what period? We are not talking about eugenics, euthanasia, abortion, etc. We are talking about birth control. If you want to talk about other things, then start a thread.

This is either utter blasphemy or a mistake in your writing. Your interpretation is not the words of Jesus. Your interpretation is of the words of Jesus. You need to straighten that out in your own mind to avoid these kinds of statements that are blasphemy. You should not equate your words with the words of Jesus.

I do not dispute that you quoted hte words of Jesus. However, you gave a completely unfounded interpretation of them that has absolutely nothing to do with the text. That is almost as bad as claiming that your interpretation is the words of Jesus. Your interpretation is nonsense. The words of Jesus are true.

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Pastor Larry,

You know that I don't believe that my words are the words of Jesus. My next sentence should have cleared that up for you if you weren't sure.

You said, "Show me something that Jesus said."

The text I based my argument on are attributed to Jesus in Revelation 22.

To all:

Pharmakia, in the lexicons, includes the meaning of poison, potions, drugs.

My point is not that this is a reference to the generic concept of birth control. My point is that those who practice pharmakia, sexual immorality, murder, and idolatry, are practicing something that is easily equated to the abortifacient birth control industry today.

Perhaps, you don't like this interpretation because it hits to closely to home. I bet everyone of you has preched a three or four point sermon using three or four words found in one verse. Why are you so upset now?

What is the contextual meaning of linking these five words together? pharmakia, sexual immorality, murder, idolatry, practice of falsehood.

So the word of God can't have any "future concepts" imbedded in it 1900 years earlier? I hear what you're saying. Don't read back into the text.

But the truth is, in the first century, people were using potions, were sexually immoral, were murdering their offspring, were self-seeking idolaters, and were practioners of falsehood. As for sorcery, who do you think is blinding the eyes of the world?

What was true when John wrote this is even more true today.

This isn't a far out interpretation. These words were chosen to paint a picture. Why don't you try looking at the picture John paints with these words.

In fact, why don't you tell me what these words mean and why they are placed together?

6. manchester

manchester New Member

Sorry, but that doesn't follow. You can believe that God creates something while regulating your behavior that results in the creation. If you really believe that God heals, you will not go to the hospital but will trust God to give you the healing that he wants you to have.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Still waiting for the answer to the question: Have you tossed your tylenol, your vitamins, and your nyquil? They're all "pharmakia", after all.

And presuming that the birth control pill qualifies as a scriptural ban based on it being "pharmakia", that still leaves condoms and diaphragms (which are not "pharmakia") for Christians to utilize.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

What an amazing abuse of scripture. I hope you have tossed your tylenol, your vitamins, and your nyquil.

Scripture DOES NOT say "have as many children as possible". Only by an abuse of certain verse can one come to that conclusion.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree. Scripture does not say "have as many children as possible."

It says, "Have as many as God wants you to have."
    It says, "Let me bless you with children."
    It says, "In all your ways acknowledge me."

No where have I told anyone to have as many children as possible.

Also, I have seen Scripture abused before. How is the above statement a misuse of Scripture?
    Phamakia refers to sorcery, magic arts, potions, drugs, poison, etc. Look it up in the lexicons. [​IMG]

9. manchester

manchester New Member

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates. Outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying." Rev 22:14-15 (HCSB)

Nothing there suggests contraception. You would have to read something into the verses to get that conclusion.

10. manchester

manchester New Member

As many children as you choose is as many children as God wants you to have. If God wants you to have more, the birth control will fail.

Why should a person "trust God" on births but not on healing? There is far more support for refusing medical treatment than rejecting birth control.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hi Johnv,

Pharmakia are drugs used in sorcery or magic arts. Pharmakia are poisons and potions.

Is tylenol a poison?
    Is Nyquil a potion that causes murder?
    Are vitamins drugs that are used to help one avoid the consequences of sexual immorality?

What are you so emotional for? Just sit down with the text and ask yourself why sexually immoral behavior is linked together with murder, idolatry, falsehood, and potions?

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Manchester,

That's fair enough in the HCSB.

But sorcerers is translated from pharmakoi, which means, the ones who are practicing pharmakia.

The ones practicing potions is linked up with the ones practicing sexual immorality which is linked up with the ones practicing murder which is linked up with the ones practicing idolatry which is linked up with the ones practicing and loving falsehood.

What kind of picture does that paint?

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It does? Chapter and verse please. It says to be fruitful and multiply. Assuming you're correct, however, this is a private matter between the couple and God. If they feel called to only have one child, or two children, or ten children, it's between them and God. This scriptural concept is in no way a scriptural ban on contraception.

It does? Chapter and verse? There are scriptures that say all children are blessings. I can find no verses that say all blessings are children.

Again, even of you're correct, this is in no way a scriptural ban on birth control, since the scope of being blessed by children is strictly between the couple and the Lord, and no one else.

The onyl way to presume this is in reference to birth control is to twist scripture to fit a manmade doctrine. Very KJVOish.
    Actually, you're correct. You said to have as many children as you decide is a blessing, as opposed to what the Lord reveals to the couple between themselves is a blessing.

14. manchester

manchester New Member

No, and neither is the birth control pill. Compare apples to apples.

The verse doesn't say or imply anything about "drugs that are used to help one avoid the consequences of sexual immorality." It is a list of separate sins. When you see the Ten Commandments, do you ask "Why are these ten listed together? What is the one sin that combines telling falsehoods, murder, adultery, lust, worshipping other gods.... I got it! The Ten Commandments was really just saying 'thou shalt not use birth control pills.'"? They didn't even have any such thing as the birth control pill at that time. Even if your bizarre interpretation were right, it would refer to abortifacients and not birth control pills.

There isn't any, and the verse doesn't imply that the sins are linked.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Johnv,

Why don't you give me a chapter and verse where it says that we can decide how many children we want. Until 1936, no church said this.

So 1900 years of church history and Bible interpretation is thrown out of the window because man has invented "birth control" methodologies.

16. manchester

manchester New Member

Most non-abortive birth control methods haven't been around very long. The RCC opposed abortion not because it had man choosing the number of children, but because it could conceal sexual immorality (adultery).

Hasn't the RCC always taught that people can use birth control, they just can't use artificial means?

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Manchester,

I'd like to hear you preach a sermon.

If the words in close proximity don't have any connection to each other, how do you interpret anything?

Door, sidewalk, key, car, garage. Doesn't mean anything! Just five separate words.

Great work, Sherlock.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Wow, you really have gone the way of KJVOist arguementation (aka, show me where scripture says you can have as many translations as you want). Actually, YOU are the one who has made a scriptural assertion, hence, YOU are the one who needs to back it up scripturaly. NO WHERE in scripture is there a ban on birth control or family planning.

So what? For 1000 years, the church said the only acceptible sexual position for husbands and wives was the "missionary" position. For 1200 years, the church said the earth was the center of the universe. For several hundred years, the church said the sun revolved around the earth, and the earth was flat.
    Imagine if Martin Luther, John Calvin, Christopher Columbus, Galileo, Ptolomy, Archimedes, Mendel, or Einstein had said "we've always done it that way".

19. manchester

manchester New Member

Paul, it is a list of sins. It is not a list of one sin that has many aspects, such as potions and telling lies. That is clear from the verses you referenced.

Not to mention that using the pill is not telling lies or idolatry, for example. And, as already mentioned, only a few methods use chemicals.

How you go from witches (murderers by poison) to people using birth control is beyond me.

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Johnv,

Your above quote. Good argument.

Let me put it another way. Just as in some doctrinal formulations, the doctrine isn't found in one verse, so might some make the claim that trusting God in the area of reproduction by not using birth control methods is the general tone of Scripture.

You are right. Past history doesn't necessarily make it right, but I would like a little more to go on than what you are presenting to set aside 1900 years of teaching.

Given the results of birth control use around the world and the resulting devaluing of life, I would want to go back to Scripture to see what the Bible says about life, children, trust, etc.

I hope you understand that this is a discussion and dialogue, and I'm not attempting to force a dogmatic statement on anyone. I appreciate the discussion.