1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Birthright Citzenship

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a group who wants to end Birthright Citizenship. Check out this link: End (illegal) Birthright Citizenship

What Say you?

[ December 04, 2005, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: SALTCITYBAPTIST ]

2. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Never did make a lick of sense.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The practice should be ended. It was not the intention of the 14th amendment to have this benefit bestowed on the children of illegal aliens.

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I think one of your parents should already have citizenship before it is bestowed on you because of birth. Under this reasoing, a Russian visiting on vacation could have a child and it would be a citizen and eligible to be president at the age of 45 even thought it was raised in Russia and did not speak English! :eek:

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SaltCityBaptist, thanks for starting this thread! I read an editorial, linked below, that explained how that law has been twisted.

Our government has made the laws meaningless for a long time now, but there is evidence that it was never intended that being born here meant that you were a citizen. These babies of illegals are called "anchor" babies, they say.

Investors Business Daily newspaper said recently:

During debate on the 14th Amendment, Sen. Jacob Merritt Howard of Michigan added the jurisdiction language specifically to avoid accident of birth being the sole criteria for citizenship.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=20&issue=20051128&rss=1

6. Pete

Pete New Member

Forget about ending the illegal version of Birthright Citizenship, just generally end it.

I looked into renouncing Aussie citizenship going back a bit, but 1: ratbag government wanted $260 non-refundable application fee for it and the thought of giving them $ when I didn't have to turned me off, & 2: (thanks to some stupid UN Convention) they refuse anyway if don't already have other citizenship or would get it.

Not to worry, I'll just take advantage of whatever perks the government hands out and bring them down that way :D

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bush just doesn't get it. That is why I am for Tancredo in 2008.