1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bit of a puzzle...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Oct 26, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a 23 page Word document on my desktop. I transferred it to my handheld via active sync which converts it to .pwd format for Pocket Word. I did a lot of editing, mostly adding text.

I transferred it back to the desktop but to a different directory than before. When I went to copy it to the original spot I noticed that the file was half the size of the original. Original was 91 k and the new one was 51 k.

I put the two up side by side and checked. All of the information and formatting that was in the document is the same except for the added information which was in the smaller file.

So why the large difference in file size? I assume it is some sort of garbage in the background that is stripped out to put it into .pwd format, but if it isn't needed, why is it there in the desktop file? And why isn't it put back in when it is transferred into .doc file?

Any ideas, other than the uwuwuwuwuwu (read that as something scarrrrrrry:)factor from Microsoft?:smilewinkgrin:

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Never, never under estimate the power of uwuwuwuwuwu!

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

All I know is Word seems to make everything much BIGGER than it has to be . . .

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Word documents are probably chock full of meta-information that it strips out for space saving in pocket word. Try editing it a little in word and see if it doesn't blow up again.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: Just typed in two sentances, did a little formatting. Saved it. Opened it and deleted the two sentances, saved it. Size was up couple k

Microsoft is buring my information in garbage :thumbsup:

Guess that is the ultimate in making more of nothing :smilewinkgrin:

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How true, how true.

Back in '97, we were creating some databases using Microsoft Access. We ran into a problem, because we weren't on a network where we could just transfer the database to the user, we didn't have CD writers at the time, and the database was getting to be over 3 megs.

Then we noticed the odd little "compact database" option under the "Tools" menu; so we tried it out. Our 3 meg database was suddenly 675K, and would easily fit on one floppy disk--with ALL the queries, menus, reports, etc. we had built in. "Compact database" apparently stripped out all the extra, unnecessary code that was generated as we built and modified the database.

Then there's the "easter egg" of the initial Microsoft Flight Simulator code embedded into Microsoft Excel.

When the individual above mentioned added metadata, you betcha Microsoft is guilty of "code bloating"; but as you've seen with your transfer to the .pwd file and back, there's no real need for it.

I'm just venting at this point, but the same problem exists with functionality in Microsoft Outlook. I'm thinking there are anti-social geeks who are sitting in dark rooms thinking to themselves, how else can I make this more functional for me, and furthering my ability to decrease interaction with other humans?