1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Americans: Most Religious Ethnic Group

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as frequency of prayer, Bible reading, and church attendance, black Americans are the most religious ethnic group in the United States.

There have been African Christians from the beginning:
    Ethiopian eunuch - Wikipedia
    Christianity in Africa - Wikipedia

While it might seem easy to point the finger at black neighborhoods for having high crime rates, poor white neighborhoods are high-crime areas as well:
    The Poverty-Crime Connection

While it might be easy to point the finger at the black community for its out of wedlock birthrate, this might have more to do with poverty than race:
    The reason why it's important to point out the religiosity of black Americans is because it counters the stereotypes we see in popular media. Unfortunately, it sells more to report on a black man robbing a liquor store than a black church serving soup to the homeless.

#1 Humble Disciple, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is looking at Chistianity through racial lenses. The reason is Christian no longer identifies through the flesh but belongs to a chosen race.

When we consider studies we have to ask what is the criteria. There are many "black churches" that hold a gospel akin to MLK's faith (social issues absent the gospel) just as there are many "white churches" focused on politics or legalism rather than the gospel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Voddie Baucham would contend that, while all races are equal in the eyes of God, it's an affront to God to pretend that races don't exist:

Please keep in mind that Dr. Baucham isn't exactly a fan of critical race theory, to say the least.

"White privilege" is an over-used term, but to pretend that the church needs to be culturally neutral is an example of white privilege, because, whether admitted or not, it assumes that white culture is the default culture. I learned this from Richard Twiss, a native American evangelical:
    https://www.amazon.com/Church-Many-Tribes-Richard-Twiss/dp/0800797256

This is the doctrinal statement of the National Baptist Convention, the largest historically black denomination and the second largest Baptist denomination in the United States, which is pretty much the same as the New Hampshire Confession:
    What We Believe - National Baptist Convention, USA Inc.

The reason why historically black denominations even exist is because, at one time, churches were segregated. To ignore this history is also an affront to God.

The reason why it's important to point out the religiosity of black Americans is because it counters the stereotypes we see in popular media. Unfortunately, it sells more to report on a black man robbing a liquor store than a black church serving soup to the homeless.

#3 Humble Disciple, Jul 13, 2021
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree to an extent. I am white and live in an area of "Black privilege" (the city and metro area is 30% White, 65% Black, and racism is typically against White people....but racism is not the norm).

So I do get a glimpse at benefite afforded one race but deprived people who are white and I have seen it reverse (I have lived here for only a few years).

There is also an issue of group identity (people identifying with a racial group or identifying others with a racial group as an identity....which is essentially racism itself).

So I do agree that racial issues exist and should not be ignored. But of all the issues contributing to social injustice and inequality, race is probably the least relevant. There are sicial-economic issues that are not (or no longer) tied to race which need to be addressed. Racism, in a way, has flipped from what it was in the 50's (a different racial group advocates racism). Until we look to the problems facing us they will never be solved. But racism is so superficial and emotional an issue it will always play a political role.

5. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not trying to say anything other than what Dr. Baucham says in this video, which is worth watching:

I must say again that Dr. Baucham is not a fan of critical race theory.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the idea we are not to be "color blind", but I disagree partly with the direction of the video (of Dr. Baucham).

I agree with his point of seeing God's hand through history (to include how God used racism to bring Black people to America). That (providence) is a good point.

But based on Dr. Baucham's opening arguments color blindness could just as easily be applied to the color of one's eyes, or hair. Yes, God made different skin colors, eye colors, and colors of hair. God made short people and tall people. We should not pretend this diversity does not exist, but instead praise God through His creation.

"Color blindness" does not mean ignoring the fact that there are people of different color skin. It means not using the color of a person's skin as an indication of value or values. It means not assuming a person has some sort of shared experience or culture because of their skin.

Race is superficial, just as the color of one's hair or eyes is superficial. Cultures matter as they say something of a person, but cultures are far from benign.

To illustrate - I am White. What does me being White say about me? Nothing except I probably burn at the beach.

7. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is something that Dr. Baucham would disagree with, but it doesn't mean that one race or culture is superior to another. Do you know any black pastors?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know several Black pastors (one ihas been a very close friend for over 30 years).

I agree (from watching the video) that Dr. Baucham would disagree with me on that oint (although I think he and I would get along quite well).

My family are interested in their roots (some are Vietnamese. 1st & 2nd generation) , but most are of Irish descent. They may be more inclined to agree with Dr. Baucham....BUT I think they are wrong as well

To prove or disprove my position....I am white. Tell me something significant about my life based on my race.

9. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of your whiteness in a majority-white society, you have the privilege, in the public square, to feel like your culture is the default culture, whether you are conscious of it or not.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a racist assumptio.

I don't say "racist" to be offensive (please understand my meaning here and allow me to expound).

It is true that decades ago (prior to 1961) White people had a racial legal advantage. And it may be true that in many (but not in all, perhaps not even in most) cases White individuals had an advantage for the decades immediately following based on race as they competed for socio-economic positions.

But it is equally true that post 1961 Black men (some Black women) and men (some women) of minority races had a socio-economic advantage over White individuals.

There is a discrepancy when it comes to inherited advantage, but this is largely minority of White individuals. We have to realize the impact of 1929-1933 as well.

The reason I say ypur assumption is racist is it implies that I (being born in 1968) had an advantage because of my race. The truth is the opposite.

I attended an integrated (pretty much equally White to Black) inner-city school in Atlanta. The negative consequences of "affirmative action" were not prevelant at the time (my family structure was largely comparable to the structure of Black family in the area).

When I graduated high school I attended a community college. Many of my Black friends did the sane. But many of my Black friends with the same GPA (I didn't apply myself in high school) were afforded a better education because of their race.

When I hit the workforce I was employed as a temporary worker (laid off, employed again, never permanent) but many of my Black and Hispanic friends were hired on outright with benefits because they were a minority (companies prized diversity).

So I ended up joining the Army. In the Army most of the leadership was either Black or Hispanic (mostly Hispanic) as the Army was working to increase minorities in leadership.

I retired from the Army in 2014. I am now a RADCON inspector. Most of my supervisors are Black (I suspect because the area is 65% Black and they have been at the site for over 30 years, but perhaps for the same reason I could not find gainful employment in the civilian sector when I was young).

I come from Irish descendants who were discriminated against in areas because they were of Irish descent. They had small farms, worked picking cotton, and later in textile mills living in company owned homes purchasing necessities at company stores on "credit". I grew up eating more meals consisting of pinto beans and cornbread than I care to recall.

The only way for me to improve my own life was to be Black (or later Hispanic) or to join the military.

So my individual experience is that being White has been a socio-economic disadvantage while many of my friends benefited from Black privilege.

So to assume I, as an individual, had or have a privilege based on my race is a racist assumption. The truth is, for me, it was exactly the opposite

That said, there are social (cultural, community, etc.) reprocessing of past racism. We cannot assume they are the cause of current discrepancies when we look at statistical data, but they exist nonetheless.

I have never seen a Black man or woman chased out of an establishment because of the color of their skin. I am sure it could happen. I have seen an elderly White woman harrased because she was White. So I agree racism exists (on all "sides").

11. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not talking about any sort of "advantage" other than your own feeling of normality, that white culture is the default culture or that whiteness is "culturally neutral," because you are a white preson in a majority-white society.

Those who are non-white in a majority-white culture don't get to have the same default sense of cultural normativeness that you experience, whether you are conscious of it or not. I am not saying anything that contradicts what Dr. Baucham said in the above video.

Imagine if you were to move to Japan. You wouldn't get to experience the same sense of default cultural normativeness that you experience now, whether you are conscious of it now or not, because you would be in a majority-Asian culture.

#11 Humble Disciple, Jul 13, 2021
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand, but even here I think you miss my point. Augusta is 65% Black. The "normal" culture (if there is one culture for a race of people) would not be White. Most businesses are owned by Black people. Most police officers are Black. Most of the city leadership is Black. Most of my neighbors are Black. All of my friends here are Black.

So if we are talking about a feeling of normal, how is that in my advantage.

I do feel normal, but that is because my Black friends are my friends. My Vietnamese family is my family.

I do not live in a predominantly White society. The makeup of the nation has no influence on my daily life. I live in my own community (and Augusta is the 2nd largest city in Georgia).

Should I feel as if I am a victim of "Black privilege"? I go to a a store and sometimes all eyes are on me. There area areas my Black friends tell me to avoid because I am White (a friend offered to pick up take out for me because she said I could be beaten because of my race).

13. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you happen to attend a church where the majority of people are white?

Also, while most police are not racist, there are practices in police departments that are discriminatory toward people of color. Our criminal justice system needs to be reformed as well.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's mixed in terms of race. It's a fairly small church (I guess about 1,000 active members). The pastor is White. Is that bad (that he is White)?

Our group (I was the teacher) was about 50-50 (Black & White, no other races).

15. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's not bad.

While most police are not racist, there are practices and policies in police departments that are discriminatory toward people of color. Our criminal justice system needs to be reformed as well.

You don't need to be on the left to recognize these things. I am a right-leaning libertarian.

Have you ever heard the testimonies of ex-cops admitting that they deliberately went to black neighborhoods to fulfill their quotas, because if they had gone to a wealthy white neighborhood for the same crimes, they would have been arresting the children of district attorneys and other elites for drug offenses?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What discriminatory laws exist or why do these Black officers, and Black police Chiefs....here they are the Dept of Public Safety... discriminate against Black citizens?

17. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever heard the testimonies of ex-cops admitting that they deliberately went to black neighborhoods to fulfill their quotas, because if they had gone to a wealthy white neighborhood for the same crimes, they would have been arresting the children of district attorneys and other elites for drug offenses?

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would a Black led police force, under a Black led court system, under a Black mayor, want the police to target Black citizens?

Here Black men commit most of the violent crime, but Black people are the majority so I guess that is statistically on par.

I do not know how it is in your area. But we are talking about my "White privilege", so I guess that doesn't matter.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Humpty Dumpty ,

I have to ask, given your questions - did you assume I attended a "White church" because I am White? Or had mostly White friends? Or lived in a mostly White neighborhood?

I don't get this "feeling normal" idea.

Do I know I am a minority? Yes, of course. I have eyes. But people are people. I know I will get looks when I go into some businesses. But I do not feel less than normal. I did not choose my skin color, my eye color, or the color of my hair. I know there are racists out there and I avoid going into certain areas (sometimes) because I have been warned by Black people that I will be beaten because I am White. But that does not make me feel less than normal.

20. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know enough about your particular town to comment on it. I am just talking about our criminal justice system more broadly as a nation.

Because of that national reality, a black person in your town likely has more reason to fear the police than a white person would, even if they aren't in any more imminent danger than you. You have the privilege of not having to experience that same sense of fear.

"White privilege" is such an overused term that it hardly means anything anymore, but in some ways, it does exist.