1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Friends...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ShotGunWillie, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I have read two threads so far and have seen more than one response that has mentioned "black friends"

Why don't you ask your black friends?

How many black friends do you have?

Would you introduce your friends as black?

These are comments that don't disprove the opinions of others and fact. Do I have to have a Jewish friend to give my opinions concerning the Holocaust? Do I have to have an American Indian friend to say that the Commanches wore more face paint than did the Sioux? Do I have to have Irish friends in order to say that I think the Celtics are horrible despite their championship? No

So why do I have to have black friends in order to give my opinions on subjects concerning black people.

In order to express my beliefs on slavery I have to have a black friend, why? They weren't in bondage, they did not experience it. Why do we call people who are black African American, why not Americans of African decent? What do we lable white people who were born and raised in Africa, who's family has been there for generations and move to the US? African American? Euro-Afro Americans?

just saying.....

#1 ShotGunWillie, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  2. givengrace

givengrace New Member

We didn't Start Calling them Black We refer to ourselves as "WHITE" They are the ones that didn't like it and started wanting P.C. with "African American" I work with a Lady who doesn't like neither she say's she's "PAPERSACK BROWN"

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Its because we have been cathechised in the Political Correctness point of view. I'm not black and I have all sorts of opinions about Barak, Odinga, and communisim.

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

It's actually common decency but if you must call it "political correctness."

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I like to introduce my white friends.

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I think I'll start doing that also.

Hello, Bill let me introduce you to my white friend Chris. Oh yes, and this is my white wife...:tonofbricks:

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't want to introduce my white wife.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't want us to know her? :laugh: [just kidding]

If I were introducing my African American friend to other Christians I would and have said, this is Doris, my sister. If I were introducting her to people who are not Christian I would say, This is my friend, Doris. Christians would know what I meant by sister, or they should.

Of course if it was Joyce, or Janice, or James or Bob I would not say Dorsi. :laugh:

#10 Crabtownboy, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am confused why this is even an issue. I don't reference people according to the color of their skin...I use their names. If there was some pragmatic reason to reference the color of someone's skin then I will....i.e. if I was mugged and I had to describe the mugger, I could say 6 ft white guy, beard, heavyset, et. et.

I think the reference of African American is rather silly, but that's my opinion. If the term means that their ancestors hail from Africa then my own children are African Americans. My wife is native to South Africa...so, my children are white African Americans.